replacing flooring and seating on 1999 Godfrey Sweetwater 180EX

Looking for advice on where best to buy replacement seating for my 180EX. I've checked a couple of websites and found seating configurations similar to what I have, but dimensions aren't quite the same. I'm considering replacing the flooring while the boot is stripped, likely using vinyl instead of new carpet. This is a freshwater boat in Maine, used and kept dockside June through September. Advice or suggestions regarding suppliers and potential pitfalls also welcome. Thanks.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

The dimensions of the seating options may be close enough. Before you put down new flooring, you should make sure you have the good solid floor and hull structure below it.

Thank you, Ted. I will do so. I'm fortunate to have a world-class boat builder favorite cousin who will be helping me (actually, more that I will be helping him). We'll be sure to check the plywood to ensure integrity...replacing if advisable.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This is a pontoon boat, right?

So you won't have to worry so much about the under deck structure. As far as seating, you have the opportunity to make the boat more to your liking if you have any of those nagging questions like "Why didn't they do.............?".

I can't find a photo of a '99 180EX, so how is your seating placed on the deck? Wrap-around in the corners and "sofa" type along the sides?

Can't disagree with replacing the carpet with vinyl - So much easier to keep clean and no snags from hooks if you fish.

:welcome: to iBoats, David. We'll do our best to spend your hard earned money. :D

Thanks, Mr. Moderator. I have wrap-around seating port side and stern. Two side and one front entry/exit, sides roughly centered. Two forward side sofas/benches. Will try to attach photos. Will replace captain's chair and console, as well. IMG_1181.JPGIMG_1182.JPG

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
David, I can't tell from the photos how the corners of your fence are shaped. When I replaced the furniture in my old boat I discovered that the radius of the fence corners was larger that the relatively sharp corners of the furniture. That meant I could not slide the furniture all the way into the corner of the fence. It effectively meant I had to use slightly shorter furniture where a corner was involved. I mention this so you can take that into account when you order your furniture. Otherwise, think of the deck space like a large living room where you can arrange the furniture any way you like.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
HotTommy;n10542809 Otherwise said:
Gotta watch for that because the Admiral will want to rearrange the furniture every Spring. :facepalm: LOL

Radiused or square corners do make a difference how the new seats fit as Tommy said.

Have you thought of having the seating reupholstered? New seats may be cheaper than new covering, but you won't know until you check around with some local shops.

Thank you, gents. I hadn't counted on the arc of the corner varying as you say it can. I have thought of reupholstering, but I assume the foam has degraded over time. The base of the seating is covered in kind of a carpet-like material...similar to what is now on the floor. I was hoping to move away from that with new bases but maybe I should reconsider.

ahicks

Captain
If you are going to go with seating from Wise (sold here and many other places), realize that it takes quite some time for it to be delivered. I waited 10 weeks this past spring, and received it only after numerous phone calls. I was doing an entire boat from the floor up so the order consisted of quite a few pieces. They were paying shipping, so didn't want to ship until the order was complete. Eventually, I found they were stealing parts from my order to help fill others so those could ship. It wasn't until I realized this and became pretty upset with them, demanding they ship what they had and back order the rest, that they FINALLY started the trickle of components that took another few weeks to finish up. Ordered originally in May, and took delivery of the last parts in August. This included the order being "lost" at one point. The fact I had it completely documented and PAID FOR meant nothing. Iboats had to reorder everything from Wise, with no priority being given to the order.

Realize as well, my stuff ALL came in boxes from China.... Wise doesn't build anything. They order components from China. While not a complete show stopper for me, it WILL be a while before going through that again.

So there's no misunderstanding - broken delivery promises starting from the time they received the order, were made by Iboats staff. The actual problem was with the Wise warehouse staff.....

Kudos to both staffs for EVENTUALLY figuring out what was going on and getting my order delivered. Pretty sure I was not the only one pretty frustrated by the end of that process....

Alan Hicks

Thanks for that, Alan.......and I'm sorry your experience was less than great in terms of duration in getting your parts. I want to do my rehab in late May so I guess ordering now, from whomever, isn't too soon.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You mentioned the foam might be bad in your current seats. If you have them reupholstered by a local shop, replacing the foam is a “normal” thing to do and something they’re used to doing.

Thanks, Jetboater. I suppose I can strip the carpet off the base of each seat and cover them with the same vinyl I plan to put on the floor.

If I do have the seats re-covered, I guess my only purchase(es) will be a new console and possibly a new Captain's chair.

bigdee

Commander
I have the same boat as you. I chose furniture from wise and it satisfied my needs. I drew out a plan on paper,however, when I received the furniture I just moved the pieces around until I found a configuration that suited me. When I was finished rearranging I discovered my lounge seat was not wide enough to fill the rear width of the deck. I was getting ready to order a corner piece to fit the width when my son-in-law suggested the empty space was the perfect spot for a Yetti cooler.

Great! Thanks, bigdee. I have a paper diagram, as well, with the furniture placement, dimensions for each piece, and overall boat dimensions, inside the rails. Now I have a dilemma; purchase new or recover existing. Do you recall which package you purchased?

bigdee

Commander

bigdee

Commander
That link did not work but this is the same package plus I ordered 2 corner pieces.

Attachments

• photo285908.jpg
    photo285908.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0

bigdee

Commander
Bigdee....did the curve of the corner pieces match the curve of the boat rail?

not exactly but close enough for me. If I had access to my boat (its 30 miles away) I would measure the radius for you. Wise might be able to supply that info if you give them a call. Correction on the curved pieces (which I really like) I have a total of 3. Two are at the front corner rails and the third is at the rear of the boat and I also keep the battery in it. My 3 girls use them as backrests when sunbathing.

Last edited: