Pontoon Rebuild - Fence Panel Replace/Refurbish?

Riggs1955

Recruit
I am trying to decide what to do with my fence panels on 1990 Monark Suncaster 200 restore project. Dents/damage in one front corner skin only, but the rest is solid. Rails are all good. Old decals are coming off, but looks like a lot of work to get them all off. So options I'm considering are:

1. Replace aluminum skin panels with the mm aluminum roll material (.24 ga / .030 mm? Corrugated vs Flat?)
2. Sand/strip the outside of the current panels (insides are fine) and leave exposed aluminum (Any issues with doing this?)
3. Sand/strip panels and paint with a textured paint - Rustoleum?
4. Sand/strip and cover panels with a vinyl w/adhesive roll material

Any other ideas?
Any experiences with the above - good or bad?
I like the look of bare aluminum, but not sure it is viable to strip and clean or if it would be a problem down the road.

We live on the river, so the boat stays in the water most of the year.

Thanks in advance for your input!

ahicks

Captain
If the rest of the boat is OK, I'd try to match up whatever is in use and replace the damaged panel(s). Rolled fiberglass (filon) might be an option.

As far as finish, I've seen some pretty nice results with rolled enamel (maybe acrylic?). Smooth finish will show damage of any sort much easier. I would use a paint prep on anything I was painting. Sanding likely to do more harm than good.

Not sure I'd like the looks of 100% raw alum. panels, but that's me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
decals come off with a heat gun. as far as dents or damage, a few minutes with a body hammer and dolly would take care of that.

however 24 gauge is really thin.... as in sneeze and you dent it thin. most pontoon fence panels are closer to 16 gauge.

100% raw aluminum will oxidize in very short order. it will disapear in a salt-water environment considering it is very thin. if you like the look, you could consider an epoxy clear, however it would turn yellow after a while.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
1979 leisure island. I removed the panels from the fencing when I rebuilt the rig. Drilled out the rivits, 214 total. Sanded, primed and done up with tractor paint. Got an air riveter and put it together.

Attachments

• photo285882.jpg
    photo285882.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285883.jpg
    photo285883.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285884.jpg
    photo285884.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Grub that looks good

Hey OP do you have a company local that makes metal roofing? (Ours is Lyons roofing ) It comes in flat rolls

24 to 29 gage and are painted on both sides, it is flat until they roll it in the roof panel shapes

Just something to look at, it has a long life expectancy on a roof, saltwater would possible hurt the cut edges unless coated to prevent rust

from their site "All panels are available in any of our 24 colors, and they carry a 50 year warranty against paint fade, chalk and chip."

I am not affiliated at all, I do use there products around my farm and have a building for my old car tho'

Ric Flair

Cadet
I replaced my old fencing with dark blue .32 gauge rolled aluminum. Easy to do and looks great like a new boat. Not sure if IBoats sell the fencing, but if not, hit me up and I will steer you in the right direction. Always buy from Iboats if you can.