Removing mold/mildew from vinyl seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is a good product that will remove mold/mildew from my pontoon seats? We tried the Roll Off which is a fantastic cleaner but did not do a lot with our seats. any ideas?

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
bathroom cleaners with bleach

This!

Tilex Mold and Mildew Bathroom cleaner is what I use (they make a Soap Scum one too—not that one)—I just spray it on and leave it a few seconds then wipe it off with a damp rag. A heavy coating of mildew may take a second time but don’t let it stay on the vinyl for more than 20-30 seconds—thats usually plenty of time to remove the mildew. If the vinyl still has black spots, that’s a stain that’s discolored the vinyl—the cleaner will kill the mold and you’ll need to scrub the black spots out separately.

I also use it in the corners of my carpets where the green mold grows—on that, I just spray a little on the mold and leave it—it kills it instantly and helps keep it from coming back.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This!

Tilex Mold and Mildew Bathroom cleaner is what I use (they make a Soap Scum one too—not that one)—I just spray it on and leave it a few seconds then wipe it off with a damp rag. A heavy coating of mildew may take a second time but don’t let it stay on the vinyl for more than 20-30 seconds—thats usually plenty of time to remove the mildew. If the vinyl still has black spots, that’s a stain that’s discolored the vinyl—the cleaner will kill the mold and you’ll need to scrub the black spots out separately.

I also use it in the corners of my carpets where the green mold grows—on that, I just spray a little on the mold and leave it—it kills it instantly and helps keep it from coming back.

Do you use the same thing to remove the Black spots or something else? We also have parts of the seats that are blue, will the Tilex dis-color the blue?

bigdee

Commander
I use bleach but be careful with it getting trapped in stitched crevices because it can weaken some types of threads. I usually follow up with a pressure washer rinse.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I mix up a spray bottle of bleach water with a bit of laundry detergent. A soft bristle brush for scrubbing, and a garden hose for rinse

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I keep a bottle of Clorox kitchen cleaner +bleach onboard as a general cleaner. Works great on mold

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All of the above, and then I use Mr. Clean magic erasers on the tough spots. Be careful with them though, they work well but are somewhat abrasive.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you use the same thing to remove the Black spots or something else? We also have parts of the seats that are blue, will the Tilex dis-color the blue?

My seats are three shades of brown/taupe and itdoesnt discolor them—-may want to try whatever you decide to,ise on the inside edge of a seat where its blue to make sure it doesnt affect the color.

Fortunately, I’ve been able to catch the mildew before it became black stains/spots so I dont gphav efirst hand experience in removing it. I think some folks have used Simple Green and others have had to resort to a Magic Eraser. Might want to do a search for “black spots” and you’ll see more recommendations on removing them.

Ken Kitchen

Cadet
Clorox makes a product, "Clean-up, Cleaner + Bleach" Comes in a spray bottle. The nozzle on the bottle has a 2 way valve so you can turn it off when not in use and it won't leak out. I have a 1999 Landau with white/teal upholstery and use it at least twice during the season to keep the white white. Also, the boat sits in the sun,, on the water all summer.
This stuff works wonders...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A mix of 3/4 Clorox + 1/4 hydrogen peroxide applied with a sponge, let sit for 10 minutes, wipe off with a wet towel and rinse with fresh water. For the stains that has formed inside the corrugated surface, same mix applied and brushed off with a medium hard toothbrush. Use gloves and eye protection glasses when applying...

Happy Boating

Status
Not open for further replies.