storage under seat vents

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Need some input on this topic, I have had issues with things stored under my seats getting mold or mildew on them, life jackets, hats, etc. I notice one toon where I'm at that had small vents in each of the compartments, about 4x4 inch. Would installing these in the front of each of the compartments help reduce the issue I;m having. I know they sell them just wondering if they really help anything at all.Thanks

fishrdan

Admiral
I have vents in my enclosed compartments, to provide cross-flow in the compartments. I don't think 1 vent will do the trick, need to add a couple, on opposite sides of the compartment.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You're talking about putting 2 in each compartment side by side but on each end of each compartment

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does yours do the trick as far as keeping the compartments free of mold

tpenfield

Staff member
Are you getting mold build-up during the boating season or while in off season storage?

Bleach can help with the compartments, and you will probably want to empty the compartments (and bleach them) for off season storage.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are you getting mold build-up during the boating season or while in off season storage?

Bleach can help with the compartments, and you will probably want to empty the compartments (and bleach them) for off season storage.

We have it in the water all the time here in Florida. Just purchased it used in November and we put some life jackets and hats under the seats and noticed they were getting spots on them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here in florida, you need to take your life jackets out almost weekly and let them dry. if you have a pool, toss them in the pool after each use, then let them dry. the problem here in the land of liquid sunshine and high humidity is that mold/mildew never stops

As Ted mentioned, you need to bleach out the storage compartment regularly

fishrdan

Admiral
Does yours do the trick as far as keeping the compartments free of mold

Vents in opposite ends of the compartment, I have 2 or 3 vents on each side. But.... I'm in Nevada, low humidity where things dry out relatively quickly, as long as there is ventilation for the compartment.

Sounds like you have different conditions, Florida and high humidity, where things won't dry out easily. Need to follow the other guys advice.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Vents in opposite ends of the compartment, I have 2 or 3 vents on each side. But.... I'm in Nevada, low humidity where things dry out relatively quickly, as long as there is ventilation for the compartment.

Sounds like you have different conditions, Florida and high humidity, where things won't dry out easily. Need to follow the other guys advice.

I was looking at it this evening and wondering if I could put a hole underneath each end of the different sections, then put vents into the 1st and last section, therefore letting air blow through all the the compartments. Or would it work just as well by placing 2 vents, one on each front end of the compartment.

fishrdan

Admiral
Not sure how many vent's you'll need... I have 3- 2" holes on each end, of compartments that store wet stuff, anchor lines, boat fenders and dock lines. Compartments are 24x24x12.

The compartment needs in and out vents, so the compartment can flow air. Make sure the vents don't introduce a path for water to get into the compartment...

Ken Kitchen

Cadet
Just as fishrdan wrote, you do need cross-ventilation, or an "in and out" for air. With just one vent in a compartment, it's like blowing in a pop bottle, nothing in or out. But you should put them at different levels, in other words, one just under the seat overhang and the other about 1/2-1/3 up from the floor, low enough for ventilation but high enough to keep water from entering the compartment. I myself, put the pfd's in a large garbage bag and seal it up and the towels go in a clear plastic tote which fits under the cushions.
Good luck

Ken Kitchen

Cadet
Sorry Admiral, I meant to say that my extra pfd's are stored in the bags. Sorry if I misled anyone...

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Let me start with an apology to anyone who is offended by my nitpicking on this topic, but we engineering types are trained that way. So here goes.

First, the liquid water in your compartment (jlscjs) will turn to vapor in the air in your compartment until the humidity reaches 100%. No more water will evaporate until the air loses some of that water vapor and the humidity drops below 100%. If there is any opening to the outside air AND the outside humidity is lower than that in the compartment, water vapor will begin to leave the compartment for the outside. This happens whether or not there is a breeze or cross ventilation. The speed of transfer will depend on the size of the opening(s), the difference in the two humidity levels, temperature AND any air movement that may be present. All of this leads to the following generalizations about venting your compartments.
  1. Bigger vents are better than smaller vents.
  2. More vents are better than fewer vents.
  3. Vent size is most important in regions where the outside humidity tends to be higher.
  4. Cross ventilation only happens when there is an outside breeze and it is largely perpendicular to the vent opening.
  5. This means vents aligned with the front/rear of the boat get good cross ventilation when the boat is moving.
  6. For boats at rest where the wind is not predictable, it might be better to have two vents pointing 90 degrees from each other.
  7. If the compartment is so full of stuff that air can't move freely inside it, the type of vent(s) may not matter much.
I keep my boat on the water in the deep south during the summer, and I typically end each outing with a bunch of wet ski vests and water toys. Because the humidity is so high, I typically leave the wet stuff on the deck until the next day when I put it away. Even with that, we'll sometimes have two or three weeks of nearly daily thunderstorms and mold will begin to appear. When the outside humidity is 90% or higher for weeks on end, that will happen.