Throttle Controls Question

Bassbuggy89

Cadet
Hey guys!
I am wanting to rebuild my console on a 80s model Tracker Bass Buggy 20’ pontoon and want to go with a dual lever top mount control similar to a Binnacle set up. The only problem is I’ve never installed one and didn’t want to purchase one online and it not work. Have any of you done this or have one I could steal a picture from?
my main concern is how do the cables hook up to the new controls, is it the same way just through the top vs the side?
thanks

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
You can't use just any binnacle mount. You need one specific to your brand and generation of engine. Assuming you're looking at something like that, yes, the cables hook up and work the same way.

Bassbuggy89

Cadet
Thanks ahicks!
the listing shows the dual lever top mount control includes cable connectors for Mercruiser and OMC style cables but I’m in sure of the various types of Mercury cables. Current motor is a 2 stroke 80s model 60hp. Here is the listing I am looking at, hopefully this will help to know if it will work:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Marine-inboar...h/122418215598

my current controls have broken on me and I’ve done some southern engineering on them to make them work for now but just wanting to cross this item off as I restore the boat for the up coming season without spending $400 on a new set up. 😕
thanks again.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is more of an old Mercury outboard question than a pontoon boat question. You might have better luck asking about this on the Mercury portion of iboats.com than here. ... Oh, and there is Hi-Lex website with info too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can red-neck engineer anything to work. however more transmissions have been grenaded by dual controls than the proper controls.

also note, that ebay control is for an inboard, most likely with a hurth or ZF transmission.

the correct new in box controls are cheap