Deciding on a new toon.

insaneasylm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i trying to decide on what aft fish toon I should get. The boat will spend most of its life on a private 650 ac lake with some trips to the Mississippi. Tubing, kneeboarding and the such also.
http://www.hennepinmarine.com/defau...il&id=4325402&p=5&s=Year&d=D&fr=xNewInventory I really like this 22ft lund with a 115hp that’s well optioned for 35$ otd with a trailer. I really like the upgraded fishing chairs. The next boat is a Sunchaser tri toon with performance package and a 150hp. But no extras. For around 37$ otd with trailer. And last I could still order Bennington tri toon with a 150hp nicely optioned for 45$ otd with a trailer.
I like the Lund because I want to have upgraded fishing chairs. But the wife keeps on insisting on a tri toon. But I don’t really want to spend 45$. I also thought about asking if they could upgrade the fishing chairs on the Sunchaser if possible. Just looking for some other opinions.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do you know why your wife wants a tritoon? Is it just that three is better than two, or are there features she prefers? BTW, its hard to believe someone couldn't swap out some furntiture for nice chairs, but it might push you closer to that tritoon price.

insaneasylm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
She wants it to be stable as possible. And dropping another 6-7 grand on the Sunchaser to get it the other options I want is why I’m not sure about it. Because if I spend 42$ total on that I would rather just getting the Bennington and have a higher quality boat.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just about any manufacturer can upgrade the fishing chairs to a nicer chair.

That Lund is designed to fish out of, and the 115 on a 22 foot boat is sufficient power.

Either tri toon with the 150 will be more stable, and move out when needed, when you get out on the river. You just need to make sure the Admiral understands that it's 10K more up front. If she is set on that now you're probably better off getting the boat she wants now,instead of having to get it 2 years from now and taking a beating on trading the Lund. There is an old saying that says "buy your second boat first."

ahicks

Captain
Here, conventional 2 tube 'toon vs. Tri toon would be about how much weight each will handle on the transom. 2 tube toons are pretty much done with a 115 where on a tri toon the sky is the limit with engine size.

Not knowing what your priorities are when it comes to fishing vs. skiing, all I'll say is if you're going tri toon, make sure it's got the lifting strakes to get the boat up out of the water. Without them, they'll be no faster than a 2 tube, but they'll use way more gas.

That Lund would check all my boxes for sure! Even has the vinyl floor. The only think I didn't like was the color. Black gets hot like fire in the sun. I would never be able to justify that on any boat I own.....

insaneasylm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, well I got some things to think about. Another question though. Since I have been looking all the prices have been pretty similar across all brands. Is there a brand to stay away from, or a brand that is just built better then the others. If you had to list these brands in order what would it be. Lund, Lowe, crest, suchaser, Starcraft,, Bennington, premier.

ahicks

Captain
Look at what the deck is made of. That should give you a hint you're looking at a premium boat when you run across one. Bennington is one of them for sure.

Justifying what you're paying for something like that though, that can be a struggle.

Something else is flooring material and upholstery material guarantees.

If beaching it frequently is part of your plans, you might look to see if the bottom is protected for it's entire length.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Take your wife to a couple of boat shows ,it's the season for it. Look at Deck boat's.Better the pontoon boats ,less maintenance ,bigger motors, power steering . ,way faster and more comfort. Wish I had.