Pontoon boat restoring

Doug4525

Recruit
I'm restoring a1987 22' pontoon boat. Can I restore the boat on blocks without damaging the pontoons ? Here is how I have it blocked up now. I don't have a trailer yet.

Attachments

• photo283262.jpg
    photo283262.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Take this answer as advice from someone who knows a bit about engineering, but has no actual experience keeping a pontoon boat on blocks. ... When a boat is afloat or on the bunks of a trailer, the weight of the boat is distributed along the entire length of both logs. Your photo indicates the weight is being supported at just two points on each log. Further, if the blocks under the logs are flat, then the entire weight at each block is being carried by the small patch where the round log touches the flat block. ... If I were to try this, I'd want large blocks at each corner with each pre-shaped to match the curve of the log. The goal is to have as much of the surface of the block touching the log as possible, so the aluminum log does not become deformed. ... Others with experience may know better than I.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i would build a cradle that mimics the bunks on a 'toon trailer at a minimum.

Like Tommy stated, distribute the load a bit.

ahicks

Captain
I would move your supports to sturdier areas of the pontoon, and turn your 2x material so it's inline with the toon to help spread out the support. The rear support could be moved all the way back and placed under the rear dome/cap/whatever you want to call it. The front could be moved to the welded seam ahead of where you have it in the pic. From there, as long as you don't throw a party on it or something, it should be fine.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No matter how you support it, make sure the entire rig is level, in all directions. If it's twisted when you attach the new flooring, it will be a perment twist. It may not affect how it rides, or maby it will......