Best pontoon battery

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok fellas, you guys have been great. I get great info or clarification on things Ive read. Hope all had a good Christmas...

so todays question is about marine batteries.
1.) How many do I need?
2.) What are some applicable high quality batteries?

lights, radio, depth finder, LED deck lights,
plus starting 90-115 hp four stroke.

Go...

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I personally have my pontoon setup with 2 batteries. A deep cycle battery and a cranking battery, both hooked up to a Perko battery switch. The deep cycle battery is meant for being drained and recharged...i.e. listening to radio when floating. The cranking is meant to start the boat. I have found Interstate Marine Batteries to be high quality.

When you have the 2 batteries hooked up to the battery switch, you can run the boat on battery 1, battery 2, or both. Ideally, you would have the switch on both when you launch and were cruising around. That way both batteries are getting charged. Then when you stop, you turn off the key switch, then switch to the deep cycle battery while you hang out on anchor and listen to music or whatever. then when it's time to leave, switch it back to both batteries, or the cranking battery and start it up. The idea is basically you will never be stuck with a dead battery from using your radio or other accessories, as you use one battery for those, and have the second to crank the motor over. Does that make sense?

On a side note, NEVER switch the battery switch while the key is on and the motor is running. You always want the power off when you switch the battery switch from 1 to 2 or to both.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
The recommended starting battery is 1000 MCA if it's a Mercury. That should run everything you have. I have a 2007 90 Merc 4 stroke and use an 850 MCA battery and it does all I ask of it. Interstate is a good choice.

ahicks

Captain
I use a single 27 group deep cycle, which is very likely overkill for my purposes. I could very likely get away with a plain vanilla 24 group....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
how big of a radio?

My buddys pontoon has two group 27 start/deep cycle batteries on board. however his stereo can be heard by everyone on the lake if needed.

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I LOVE THIS FORUM.

Yes all of this makes good sence. I have seen two battery systems before and feel it may be a viable option. Unless I can find a solar powered battery tender to mount on a rear rail for quick easy hook ups and maint, then I feel a single battery would work.
The simplicity of a single battery is appealing. It also offers a greater weight reduction option.
The group 27 and group 24 ect ect is confusing to me still.
I understand CCA and MCA as terms and thier meaning, but the groups are confusing in terms of practical application.

ahicks

Captain
Group 27 and group 24 refer to physical dimensions of the batteries. 24 and 27 are likely the 2 most common sizes. 24's are what you might see in an HD pick up. 27's would be something closer to a camper or maybe trolling motor size.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with ahicks. .... One more bit of info. While the Group Size indicates dimensions of the case, it does not necessarily follow that batteries within a Group Size produce the same CCA. I think CCA is determined more by the amount and size of lead plates (or similar material) inside the case. So you'll need to check both to get a battery that fits both the space you have and electrical capacity you want.

P.S. You can Google battery group sizes and see charts listing the various dimensions.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use a group 24 starting battery just for the engine and a 27 series marine/deep discharge for everything else(house battery). I use this switch so that when it turns on, the starting battery is connected to the engine and the house(size 27 battery) is hooked to everything else.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/601...y_Switch_-_Red

It has the option of doing a combine of the 2 batteries if needed.

I use an ACR to allow both batteries to charge while the engine is running and don't have to do that battery switching nonsense all the time with the 1/2/both switch.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/35/Automatic Charging Relays

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On a side note, NEVER switch the battery switch while the key is on and the motor is running. You always want the power off when you switch the battery switch from 1 to 2 or to both.
You can always switch the battery switch while the engine is running if you use a 1/2/both switch asl long as you never turn it to the OFF position. All these switches are "make before break" so they never produce a no load condition except in the off position.

bigdee

Commander
IMO you do not need a deep cycle battery unless you have a trolling motor or some other high current device. I use a standard group 24 automotive battery and it serves me well. It is 6 years old and still going strong. Never had an issue after playing radio all day and navigation and docking lights at night. I seldom float over 4 hours before cranking to move again.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
IMO The best set up is one just like bruceb58 has described. A single battery setup is OK but if I have one battery in the pontoon I always carry a back up of some sort. For the last few years that has come in the form of a freshly charged, $50 Harbor Freight jump box. The last thing you want to hear at the end of the day is a click..click..from your run down battery.