Pontoon redecking

captmello

Captain
I'm in the process of redecking my pontoon. I've got it stripped down to the plywood and carpet. I'm now trying to figure out the best way to remove the bolts holding the plywood. they're the type with a large flat head with no slot, or any way of keeping it from spinning when I try to take off the nut from below. What have you guys done or seen done to remove these? I've got about 40 or so to remove. thanks!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
If the plywood is rotten you can try cutting/yanking it out around the carriage bolts. Then use some vice grips to hold the head while you remove the nut.

ahicks

Captain
The ply on the one I just did was in pretty good shape, other than some rotted areas. Same story, rusty screws with large heads on top, even rustier nuts on bottom. Angle grinder made short work of that project. Working on top, start the blade in the plywood just in front of the screw, and cutting down at an angle down to just under the screw head, then proceed to cut the heads off. Takes longer to type it than it does to do it. About 1 minute per screw is about all it takes. You'll get pretty good at it about the time you're done! Push the remaining part of the screw down and out the bottom and the only thing left to do is collect them below the deck. I used a magnet.

This project would easily pay for an angle grinder (Harbor Freight) if you don't have access to one. The screws are soft enough where I think I just used one blade for the whole mess.

Oh, BTW, watch for the screw head to jump just a hair as the cut is complete. DO NOT TOUCH THAT SCREW HEAD ! It'll be hotter than blazes..... Fine, I'm reminding others of this because I was reminded the hard way.

Last edited:

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I like ahicks' idea. I use grinders a lot on my projects, but if you have not used an angle grinder before, be extra careful until you get a feel for it. If the spinning disc binds, it has enough torque to push the grinder in directions you may not want. Also, be sure to use the usual power tool protection - safety glasses, dust mask and hearing protection.

ahicks

Captain
I used the heck out of an angle grinder on my project. They actually cut alum. rather well! Even heavy stuff....

captmello

Captain
thanks for the responses. the grinder from the top sounds like a good plan, I'm good with a grinder so that won't be an issue. digging the heads out from under the carpet will be the only other trick. my plywood is actually in great shape, it's the old treated stuff that doesn't eat away the galvanized cross members. I just can't get the carpet off. my local marina sells the old style treated plywood, kiln dried for about 80 per sheet. I may post a rebuild thread, but I have to learn to post pics without photo bucket...ill let you guys know how the bolt extraction goes.

ahicks

Captain
Sorry, mis read your note. Was thinking you had the carpet off! Mine, though it appeared to be glued at one point in time, came off in one piece.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
captmello,
I'm going to try to describe how I got my carpet off my 24' pontoon boat. First, the boat was on a trailer and I had removed everything that sat on the carpet. I started at the front of the boat and was able to pull up some carpet by working a scraper on the glue while pulling on the carpet. It was tedious and tiring work. But after I had the full width of the front up for almost two feet I had an idea. I laid a ten foot long 2x4 board on top of the loose carpet with a foot hanging over each side of the deck. I secured the carpet to the board with some screws and then rolled the loose carpet around the board until I got to where it was still glued down. I then laid a second board along the first and screwed them together to clamp the entire width of the carpet securely to the boards. I then tied each end of a 20' long rope to the ends of the boards. .... Next I backed the boat/trailer up and centered it on a large tree. I tied one end of the last rope to the center of the 20' rope, and the other end was tied to the tree slightly higer than the deck of the boat. All this created a rope bridle with one end tied ot the tree and the other end tied to the ends of the board. I then got in my truck and slowly pulled the boat/trailer away from the tree. The rope pulled the boards, the boards pulled evenly on the carpet and it peeled right off the deck. There were a few small places where the weaked carpet ripped, but 95% of it came off as one big piece.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I just peeled mine best as possible then flipped the wood and recarpeted....

captmello

Captain
I finally made some progress on my project and thought I would update this thread. thanks again to all of those who responded!

Following a suggestion by my upholstery guy, who also does pontoon resto work, I removed the deck bolts from below by grabbing the nut with a vice grip and breaking them off. I started by trying all the nuts from underneath and was pleasantly surprised that at least a dozen or so spun off without issue. the rest were done with the vice grip. the vise grip method took a bit of practice, but once I got the hang of it, I could break them of with just a few back and forth motions. You need a good quality vice grip, and some hand strength to get the vice grip on tight. I removed all the decking with the carpet still attached. I installed the new treated decking as I removed the old decking and drilled some of the holes for wiring and controls using the old decking to measure from. I've now got my new carpet glued down and my seats are back from the upholsterer's so I just need to put is all back together.