Dented Pontoon, to pull or not?

dtp105

Recruit
I picked up a dent on the inside of the starboard pontoon last weekend. Is it worth it to pull some of this dent out to make it have less of an impact on performance? I've seen people talk about glue pulling and using heat w/ compressed air to pop the dent out. I haven't seen any videos of these methods being used on pontoons, just on thinner materials like car fenders.

I have pictures of the dent. I would need to compress them to get them on this post.

dtp105

Recruit
Unfortunately, I am not yet authorized to post attachments to this forum.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have you compared performance from before to performance with the dent? Top speed change? Boat pulling to one side?

dtp105

Recruit
Not yet. I will be taking it out this weekend. I expect to find out at that time.

It is an older boat. So, I usually do try to keep track of engine performance, cruising speed, etc...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on the dent. if there is a crease, you wont get it out. a soft dent and you can use a glazier's suction cup handle and air pressure (no more than 4psi - yes, that is four pounds per square inch)

dtp105

Recruit
depends on the dent. if there is a crease, you wont get it out. a soft dent and you can use a glazier's suction cup handle and air pressure (no more than 4psi - yes, that is four pounds per square inch)

Thanks! I was thinking of using air. And, I'd heard that pontoons can't take much pressure. Though I didn't know how much pressure.

Do you think a small shop vac would do?