Electric Motor Only Lake - 17' Pontoon

katief7

Recruit
I just moved to an electric motor only lake and have a 17ft pontoon. I am looking for an electric only motor to replace my gas motor. I came across the Minn Kota Terrova 112 US2 i-Pilot with Foot Pedal. https://www.minnkotamotors.com/productSKU.aspx?id=1070 Will this work as an electric motor only? Looking for a cost effective option. Just putting around lake. Thanks!

Last edited:

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
That's about double what you need.. On average, its 2lbs of thrust per 100lbs of boat. Most 17ft pontoons average out needing around 60lbs of thrust.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
katief7,
How windy might it get when you are out on the lake? Pontoon boats can be pushed strongly by winds. If you expect to be out on windy days, you might want to err on the side of more thrust rather than less.

katief7

Recruit
That's about double what you need.. On average, its 2lbs of thrust per 100lbs of boat. Most 17ft pontoons average out needing around 60lbs of thrust.
Thanks SaveTex. Found a deal on the 112lbs of thrust. Was wondering if it may work on the pontoon.

katief7

Recruit
katief7,
How windy might it get when you are out on the lake? Pontoon boats can be pushed strongly by winds. If you expect to be out on windy days, you might want to err on the side of more thrust rather than less.
Hi HotTommy, It's a very small lake, 90 acres. Not too much wind at all. Do you think the 112lb thrust will work?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
katief7,
I have no personal experience with a trolling motor on a pontoon boat, so I can't offer an opinion on how much is enough thrust. But in principle its better to have too much available and not use it than to have too little available when you want it. .... I looked at the owner's manual for the motor you mentioned and three things come to mind. First, its cool that it has an autopilot function for steering. That solves one of the problems you'd otherwise face in steering with a trolling motor. Second, it is a 36 volt motor so it will require you to install, use and recharge three 12 volt batteries. That will add significant weight and cost to your plan. Third, you will need to use very heavy gauge wire and place the batteries relatively close to the motor to deal with the large amperage and voltage the motor requires. Keep that in mind as you decide where to mount the motor and batteries for the best balance and operation of your boat.

Good luck on the new lake.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
112# motor @ 36 volts means you have a lot of space taken up with batteries, plus the weight, plus the charger. My 18 foot pontoon performed very well with a 55# Minnkota Power Drive which needs only one large 12 volt deep cycle. In my view your 112# is way over powered (not that it's dangerous - just wastefull from an expense view.) Use a bow mount version otherwise you run into control linkage issues with the motor on the back.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The Terrova is bow mount only. Three batteries will cost more, but space shouldn't be an issue. I have an 80# Terrova with ipilot on my 16 foot boat, you'll like the extra thrust and run time.

ahicks

Captain
No experience on elec. 'toons, so just thinking out loud. Garden tractor batteries are often 30 bucks or less at the farm supply and large warehouses. I would think 3 of those might offer quite a bit of run time without being much bigger or heavier than an equivalent12v? Also, as voltage increases, required wire size decreases, though I would agree keeping them as close as practical to the load would pay off. Bottom line, 36 volt plan sounds attractive to me....

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
That trolling motor you are lookng at also comes with a remote control. You can sit where you want and control the direction, amount of thrust and turn it on and off.

katief7

Recruit
Thanks for all the help! I choose to purchase the Minn Kota Terrova 112 US2 i-Pilot with Foot Pedal. I'll be testing it out on the water next week.

NYBo

Admiral
No experience on elec. 'toons, so just thinking out loud. Garden tractor batteries are often 30 bucks or less at the farm supply and large warehouses. I would think 3 of those might offer quite a bit of run time without being much bigger or heavier than an equivalent12v? Also, as voltage increases, required wire size decreases, though I would agree keeping them as close as practical to the load would pay off. Bottom line, 36 volt plan sounds attractive to me....

They would be a bad choice. Very low capacity, and they aren't deep cycle.