anchors

Dusty18655

Cadet
Just wondering, what would be the recommendation for a 24' pontoon that would work best for muddy or rocky bottoms, weight and style of anchor? also, I was wondering about electric anchor hoists. I know Minn Kota sells one, but we have had issues with one on a fishing boat my brother has. I was thinking of just mounting a small electric winch, with a pulley system to run the line over the side. Not looking to use the wire cable, but change out to a woven anchor rope. what are your suggestions?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This might help: webpage.
I use a fluke anchor on my 24' boat on a lake. The bottom is a little muddy with small rocks. All I can add is that pontoon boats react strongly to the wind due to the large cross-section, so if its windy where you are, get a large enough anchor. And if you want to keep ithe boat in one spot, you'll need two anchors.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use fluke anchors also and I am usually on the river. And they will hold most of the time as long as the water is not too fast. I think mine are 16# digger and water spike. And a 30# river style mushroom anchor off the rear to keep the swaying down to a minimum. And a whole lot of rope. I have 100 feet in front and I think I need another 100 but my anchor man don't lime the idea.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
I run a box anchor. I have had many different type of anchors but this one I have found to be far superior.

Dusty18655

Cadet
Thank you all for your advice! any thoughts on rigging up a winch to lift the anchor instead of a Deck Hand system? I'm sure my kids would rather that than trying to lift a 16+ lb anchor. I've thought about a Deck Hand, but I've used them on smaller boats for a few years and found some shortcomings with them.

icwingman

Seaman
You need at least 15 to 18 lb anchor, ask google. At least a 6 ft chain. I use a danforth on a 22 and it hold great.