Pontoon wrecked by 90 year old two story sternwheeler

vidiheho

Recruit
Our 98 JC Pontoon was hit by a 90 year old wooden sternwheeler. The paddle boat lost power and drifted into our lift and pier. The pontoon was on the lift and initially we thought there was no damage. However, when we started taking pictures etc., and looked underneath the pontoon. The motor pan and the back of the pontoon where the tubes are fastened on was rippled. After reviewing again, we found paint residue on the back of the propeller housing (right half) and on the starboard corner of the pontoon. The paddle boat pushed the pontoon forward on the lift as far as it would go, and there is evidence that the port tube climbed up the side of the pier as there is paint damage to the pier on the top edge of the side board.

The marinas (two) say the damage underneath was not caused by the incident. Why will they not acknowledge this damage and put on the estimates? The original estimate had replacement for the starboard tube, and lower unit. They absolutely refused to put the motor pan on, saying it wasn't caused from the accident. The estimate was approximately $6,000.00 We had another marina take a look, and they adamantly stated there is no damage to the pontoon caused by the paddle wheel and that this was pre-existing damage. The estimator then called the first marina, who then changed their estimate to no damage, and now they are not planning on giving us any $$ for damages to the pontoon. The lift was damaged beyond repair, so they are replacing that. Need some expert advise on why they refuse to acknowledge this. Any thoughts? Are they baulking so they don't have to total the pontoon? The sternwheeler does have liability insurance.

Last edited:

vidiheho

Recruit
Posting additional information. Thanks for guidance in other posts
for pix 2

Last edited:

vidiheho

Recruit
I am still getting the message that says I am not authorized to post pictures.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Click the Forum Help in my sig and look at the photo posting instructions.

You know we won't be able to help you on this. Make a claim with your insurance underwriter and let them hassle with the sternwheeler insurance carrier.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yep you have to resize them to a really small!! Every other forum I am on can take pics way bigger than this place . You really have to resize them and reduce the quality here.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yep you have to resize them to a really small!! Every other forum I am on can take pics way bigger than this place . You really have to resize them and reduce the quality here.

yes, you have to resize them to under 700k. I use 400k as a target. you really dont need 10 meg pictures for 99% of the photos shown as at 3-400 k, there is plenty of resolution/quality

and when those other forums get 1/2 a million members posting pictures, they will restrict the size as well.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Could be a membership size thing. I have never compared membership num ers between them. Something I am curious about now I may go look up some numbers. Some of them I know are no where near the size, others I think may rival in size, and are the giant in their topic area.

Edit: some quick googeing (I can't really find what I want on a few sites including this one), shows one of the sites that I can easily see membership on, that I am a member of, is a tractor site at over 300,000 members. I can't find the total membership on this site or several others I quickly looked at.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
It's likely going to depend on the web site's software. Older stuff will have more limited capabilities......

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are negotiating with people who are not on your side and are paid -- and paid handsomely -- to limit their employer's costs. Hire a lawyer, watch 'em squirm, and recover the damages to which you are entitled.

You will, of course, receive contrary advice from folks whose pontoon boats were not hit by an out-of-control vessel, and who think that when ordinary folks suffer damages they should just suck it up and take the hit.

Hire a lawyer.