Sealed logs???

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have read a lot but havn't quite figured out if I should have vented plugs or not. If vented and there are leaks, logs can fill. Unvented, logs can only fill until pressure is equilized. Let's say I don't know of a leak. Should I vent the plugs or not?

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
It is my understanding that vents are needed to equalize pressure in the logs to atmospheric pressure. The constant swelling and shrinking of the logs could cause metal fatigue over time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It is my understanding that vents are needed to equalize pressure in the logs to atmospheric pressure. The constant swelling and shrinking of the logs could cause metal fatigue over time.

Exactly

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
ronward,
What plugs are you speaking of? My toons have vents at the top and a drain plug on the back near the bottom.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
ronward,
What plugs are you speaking of? My toons have vents at the top and a drain plug on the back near the bottom.

The plugs on the top. I have read the same thing that was stated above about equalizing pressure inside and out. Just was a little unsure because I have also read some posts that mentioned the logs not being vented. Vents for me. Thanks everyone.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If you look closely the original pipe plugs have a very small hole drilled in them.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think all these pipe plugs have been replaced. They look newer and they all have Teflon tape on them.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think all these pipe plugs have been replaced. They look newer and they all have Teflon tape on them.

Same with mine. Well, at least the one out of six that was still present. It was just a pipe plug from Lowe's plumbing dept stuck in there. No one drilled a hole in it. I did finally find a post where 5150abf says a 1/16" hole...good enough for me. I believed what everyone said, I just needed to know what size hole. Thanks.

Last edited:

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2007 Southbay triple toon and have spoken to the hull designer often about this as it came with air valves in each of the sections. I was getting ripples in the nose cones (This is a 60mph pontoon) and was concerned about it. He stated because of the speed of the boat it takes more abuse than a standard pontoon would, the air pressure helps to keep the toons in shape. They recommend 4lbs in them standard which I had been running. He told me to bring them up to 6lbs I did this last year but it did not seem to do anything but after a summers running the ripples are gone. I assume it took time for the aluminum to come back to shape.

My point is it seems the pressure from the inside helps the toons keep their shape not that, that is a real issue but even for ones that run on lakes that see bigger waves it might be of advantage. My old pontoon had vents. After 19 years of running it had small deformities in the lower nose cones that never really bothered my but I wonder now if I had pressurized those if those would have formed.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Site is experiencing technical difficulties so I'm just going to add to my own post. I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to this question... Will Nauticus smart tabs do any good on a 24ft pontoon boat with a 70 horse motor, with very little Furniture towards the front? The Only Furniture towards the stern is a bench seat all the way across the back and another bench seat on Portside not passing the console.

ahicks

Captain
Not that I think they would work, but wondering what you would be trying to achieve by installing them?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I was talking about Ronward, about installing tabs. Why is that in the sealed log thread?

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ha...because it's my horse and I can ride it any way I want to. Long story short, tech difs with forum I couldn't post new but just had something I wanted to ask about. Now I have another question but I will post new thread.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
AND...there will be 2, count 'em, 2 questions in the new thread. If it will encroach on anyone's sensitive side, please do not reply.