New pontoon deck covering

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
While there are various grades of marine vinyl floor covering, most don't hold up all that well, they get nicks and cuts which let water through. The time frame depends on the type and amount use it gets. I'm basing this on 50 plus years of having it in boats.

Last edited:

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you to everyone for the replies and opinions. The wealth of info on these forums is amazing. Yes, I still plan to use the rubber roof material because I just don't see the difference between it and actual marine vinyl. But no, I will not try to talk anyone into using it. This boat was free except for gas money to pick it up. Came with several plastic base seats and console. The cost of rebuilding will only be for the plywood deck, the vinyl to recover the seats, and the necessary fasteners. Over the years I have collected a lot of boat accessories, hardware, etc. I'm sure I will run into other incidental costs, after all it is a boat, but this is going to be a very low cost build. If the rubber does not hold up as well as I think it will, I'm not out much...meaning it's free. I'll just have to do something different when that time comes. Thanks again for all the replies.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You'll get many years out of whatever method you use, the better the plywood, the longer it will last. The hard part is getting that extended time from the plywood being protected and not getting wet, which is very hard to do, there's always a leak someplace, which negates any of the time consuming and costly efforts you make in trying to prevent them.

bigdee

Commander
I also like to do things cheaply as possible. I replaced the carpet on my 1989 pontoon 8 years ago. When I ripped off the old carpet I was surprised to see the plywood in such good condition. I had to replace the sheet at the front and rear the rest was solid. I bought indoor/outdoor carpet at Lowes and it is holding up fine. 28 years and most of the original deck! Boat is covered off season but sits in water uncovered for 6 months every year.