Salty pontoons need anode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just picked up this new old boat. 1992 monark 24ft pontoon. It looks like it's lived its whole life docked in saltwater or brackish water. There is a very good bottom paint on it but it is time to replace it. Once I get all the bottom paint off I would prefer to leave it bare aluminum. I have scratched through some of the coating and the pontoons appear to be in very good condition. I will be using this boat primarily in saltwater. My question is this, do I need sacrificial anodes on the pontoons and if so, what do I need to get?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Would motor anodes work since motor is bolted to the motor and it's all metal? But I guess the area is too big and it needs anodes around each area so that it gives that effect I guess

John_Dennis

Cadet
I don't know how many, or where you need to place them, but yes, you will need them. You should also look for wisdom regarding isolating your electrical system from the hull if you charge your batteries using shore power.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you are keeping it on a trailer and just using it during the day in saltwater the bottom paint and additional anodes aren't that important, but if you plan to leave it in the water both are critical.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info. Boat has been left in saltwater all it's life. It has chicken pox pretty bad, but it was free to me. Slowly getting bottom paint off and I haven't seen any really deep pitting. But I don't want to risk any further damage so I believe an anode on each log would be best. All electrical will be isolated from the hull/ frame except for battery to starter

icwingman

Seaman
my toon is a year old used almost 8-10 times a month in salt water, i trailer and pressure wash it clean after each use, Pontoons dont need an anode if trailering or bottom paint. i have a built in 3 bank battery charger and plug boat after each use.batterys still look new. To isolate battery, use a battery selector switch.on/off/both model.

Status
Not open for further replies.