New to pontoons

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And yes the chemical in the common ACQ treated wood found here at Lowes will corrode metals, unless there that special grey coating.

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
well some progress, I was tinkering with the motor yesterday and she's alive to my amassment. I cleaned cap points plugs and put wd-40 in the cap this time and re cleaned carbs and lines and she fired right up and purrs like a kitten. it fires firs time every time even this morning. but water pump is no good so I have to find on to replace it. hoping to get motor mounted this week and a console built, fun fun

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

this is the stock motor, no lower unit and don't know what shape its in

Attachments

• photo271511.jpg
    photo271511.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

this is the motor I wand to put on toon for now

Attachments

• photo271512.jpg
    photo271512.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271513.jpg
    photo271513.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

here is some more pics of the pontoon and the plywood

Attachments

• photo271514.jpg
    photo271514.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271515.jpg
    photo271515.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271516.jpg
    photo271516.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If it were me I'd put what runs on it. And run that floor as it. I bet it lasts 5 to 10 years as long as you don't leave it out in the rain and to get wet all the time

Brad750

Cadet
I agree with clem. Run it like it is but keep it under roof somehow. You'd be surprised how fast the sun and rain can destroy a boat.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I did forget about the fact that it's ACQ treated wood and it will possibly and at some point start corroding the AL where it's touching it. Will damage occur in 1 year or 10 and how bad I do not know?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I keep it under a tarp for now. I want to get a fitted cover eventually.

You can buy those metal carports for less than a custom fitted snap covery I bet.

My boats sit under a shed or canopy and have a covery of some sort over top to keep dust, blowing rain and pollen out.

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
ill have to look into that but not sure if my subdivision will allow it, I barely get by with my camper in my backyard so we can go camping on the lake.

Brad750

Cadet
Man that would be frustrating. I couldnt live somewhere someone else had say over what I park where. Good luck

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
it is frustrating, I have to work on stuff at my friends house or in-laws, but this is where my wife and kids are happy for now.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yea I like to be able to park what where. I don't like to look junky but like my stuff. Some think it's junky probably but everything I has runs and runs right.

The 18x20 I think is the standard double carport. I got a Carolina carport. Their standard legs is 6ft. Yes that's too short for a toon but everything is optional. And for like another 100 you probably get another 5 or 6 foot leg extention all around . The standard double is $699. And what ever you want adds on. Like one side to ground is another $150 at standard height. The other side or back is also $150 each. I got one for a wood shed and to keep a work bench under. It was cheaper than I could build a woodshed. And they come set it up in your yard where you want it.

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys sry I haven't been on for a bit but if everything goes good with me securing the steering cable I should be able to test my toon out on the water today

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
I got lots of pics but toons season on the water and Moyer is strong. The only issues I?m having is the prop is losing its bite in the water at about 1/4 throttle and have to run carbs at half way for best performance. I know you guys like technical data but I have none yet I was happy just tooling around. Now I?m going to try to figure out how to wire a tach on the ol crysler so I can get data but right now I?m figuring I?ll have to get a new prop. Mine is not in the best shape and it?s a 22 pitch. Also I have no power tilt so I have to figure out which hole to run on lol.

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
I?m having trouble finding a prop my motor is a mid 70 Chrysler 70 hp

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I got lots of pics but toons season on the water and Moyer is strong. The only issues I’m having is the prop is losing its bite in the water at about 1/4 throttle and have to run carbs at half way for best performance. I know you guys like technical data but I have none yet I was happy just tooling around. Now I’m going to try to figure out how to wire a tach on the ol crysler so I can get data but right now I’m figuring I’ll have to get a new prop. Mine is not in the best shape and it’s a 22 pitch. Also I have no power tilt so I have to figure out which hole to run on lol.

22 pitch is wayyyyyyy too much for the typical pontoon. I have a 24' with a 60hp Johnson, and I run either an 11 or 13 (can't remember off the top of my head). It's tough to make a recommendation without hard numbers, but for your size and power, a 13 would probably be a good starting point.