Bought some toons, want to swap motors, its gonna be good times!

weaverunner

Cadet
Yes and yes it does in fact clear up for a little while. That is actually what I have to do many times to get away from the dock and to where I can apply some throttle. At least now when warm I am able to idle around somewhat but I have the air bleed on the lower starboard side cylinder turned all the way rich to do that. I have had all the carbs completely stripped and blew out with the compressor multiple times. I feel I am missing a hair line crack somewhere in the offending carb.

The plugs looked good and even last I looked and at them but I am not sure if a lean idle would show up on plugs unless I idled (or tried to) the engine for a good amount of time?

Yeah, you probably won't notice any difference in color after idling for a bit. The best thing to do run it until it begins to miss, shut if off immediately, and then pull the plugs to inspect them.

Are your carburetors plastic or metal?

weaverunner

Cadet
A couple of more things to add... Try spraying around the mating surface of the carburetor to intake manifold and intake manifold to head with carb cleaner to eliminate any leaks.

When you rebuilt the carbs, did you replace the low speed jets and the welch plugs?

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The carbs are plastic and thats the reason I believe there is a crack in the problem one that I can't see. Great idea spraying the gaskets to check for a leak, I hadn't thought or done that yet. However the seals all look great and look to be sealing well.

The only jet I replaced when rebuilding is the main jet. Everything else was pulled, cleaned (numerous times) inspected with light and assembled. I will have to read the manual again but I thought to only real idle metering/adjusting is the air bleed screw at the front of the carb?

I didn't pop off the welch plugs as I didn't have anything to replace them with at the time. I did fill all the mixing pockets with cleaner and used the compressor to blow them out both ways. Again multiple times.

I haven't had time yet but my plan is to move the offending carb to a different cylinder to see if the problem follows the carb. That will narrow down the problem to either the carb itself or the the throttle plate/mixing chamber/cylinder.