Hypalon vs PVC - thoughts?

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
What's are the pros and cons of each?

I don't know the differences between the two. It just seems like more inflatables are being made from PVC these days? and are heavier than hypalon.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hypalon vs PVC - thoughts?

I don't know the differences between the two. It just seems like more inflatables are being made from PVC these days? and are heavier than hypalon.

Hypalon -

- significantly more expensive.
- fabric will last longer (can be 20+ years)
- not affected by petroleum products
- can be heavier than PVC
- joints must be glued (glue will likely fail before fabric)
- UV resistant

PVC -

- cheaper (more boat for the money)
- Fabric will typically last 8-10 years
- can be damaged by sovlents
- joints can be thermowelded (no glue) or glued. Thermoweld seams will last as long as the fabric.
- susceptible to UV damage

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know the differences between the two. It just seems like more inflatables are being made from PVC these days… and are heavier than hypalon.

In theory Hypalon is suppose to be better.
If you live in a hot climate are constantly exposed to UV and the boat will always be uncovered Hypalon is better
The warranty on Hypalon is usually 5 to 10 years
On average Hypalon cost double what PVC cost

PVC allows the masses to enjoy boating
PVC makes a great First Boat

Now PVC is where it gets interesting
Not all PVC is created the same
The warranty for PVC is 1 year to 5 years
What separates PVC is the construction of the boat.
PVC comes in various thicknesses.
The thicker the PVC, the stronger the boat
PVC is also glued on the low end and welded on the high end.
There are also different materials under the PVC name.
There is everything from Decitex (low end)
To Strongan (high end)

I have a Strongan boat and as a matter of course I spray it down with UV spray routinely
Even the cheapest PVC boat is better than no boat at all

lncoop

Vice Admiral

In theory Hypalon is suppose to be better.
If you live in a hot climate are constantly exposed to UV and the boat will always be uncovered Hypalon is better
The warranty on Hypalon is usually 5 to 10 years
On average Hypalon cost double what PVC cost

PVC allows the masses to enjoy boating
PVC makes a great First Boat

Now PVC is where it gets interesting
Not all PVC is created the same
The warranty for PVC is 1 year to 5 years
What separates PVC is the construction of the boat.
PVC comes in various thicknesses.
The thicker the PVC, the stronger the boat
PVC is also glued on the low end and welded on the high end.
There are also different materials under the PVC name.
There is everything from Decitex (low end)
To Strongan (high end)

I have a Strongan boat and as a matter of course I spray it down with UV spray routinely
Even the cheapest PVC boat is better than no boat at all

One to five years? Most quality PVC whitewater rafts carry a ten to twenty year no fault warranty. I realize we're talking about SIBs and RIBs and not whitewater rafts, but we're still talking about PVC. I must be missing something. In any case, the only thing I'd add to what's been said is PVC boats are stiffer (hehe, stiffer) when inflated. That can make for better handling under certain circumstances.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If both PVC & Hypalon fabrics are of same gauge and inflated to same pressure, lets say 3.0 psi, both should achieve same rigidity. The only small difference when you stick your thumb against inflated tube is that Hypalon feels slighty more flexible than PVC, that's due for Hypalon being a smooth fabric as opposed to PVC being a dotted or square fabric which should have more resistance, consequently less flexible when thumb testing.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If both PVC & Hypalon fabrics are of same gauge and inflated to same pressure, lets say 3.0 psi, both should achieve same rigidity. The only small difference when you stick your thumb against inflated tube is that Hypalon feels slighty more flexible than PVC, that's due for Hypalon being a smooth fabric as opposed to PVC being a dotted or square fabric which should have more resistance, consequently less flexible when thumb testing.

Happy Boating

Again, I'm talking about river rafts here, but having spent time in both I can tell you with certainty a PVC boat is stiffer than a hypalon boat when inflated. There's a very perceptible difference when running through standing waves. It's noticeable in the boat and when viewed from shore or another boat. You can ask anyone who runs rivers and they'll agree.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One to five years? Most quality PVC whitewater rafts carry a ten to twenty year no fault warranty. I realize we're talking about SIBs and RIBs and not whitewater rafts, but we're still talking about PVC. I must be missing something. In any case, the only thing I'd add to what's been said is PVC boats are stiffer (hehe, stiffer) when inflated. That can make for better handling under certain circumstances.

If what you say about Whitewater rafts is true then the obvious difference is that the Sibs and Ribs are Saltwater craft. A much harsher environment.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class

PVC uses non stretch fabric and holds pressure very well. We have found it punctures much easier than Hypalon which used nylon fabric in the past. It is the non stretch fabric which causes PVC to seem harder than Hypalon.

A tiny barnacle caused a leak in our Zodiac while the Hypalon boat actually had racoons crawl up on the tubes which caused very minor leaks. That would have given the PVC boats a real workout.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

As nothing is cast on stone, you will find PVC and Hypalon lovers and detractors as well. Go for whatever fabric suits your needs and budget. At same fabric gauge, Hypalon stands more abrassion compared to PVC, but will be cut as a cheese with a sharp razor blade or knife or puctured with any pointed tip as well. Buy a PVC or Hypalon sib or rib and have fun.

Happy Boating

lncoop

Vice Admiral

As nothing is cast on stone, you will find PVC and Hypalon lovers and detractors as well. Go for whatever fabric suits your needs and budget. At same fabric gauge, Hypalon stands more abrassion compared to PVC, but will be cut as a cheese with a sharp razor blade or knife or puctured with any pointed tip as well. Buy a PVC or Hypalon sib or rib and have fun.

Happy Boating

Agreed, and I hope I didn't come off as a hypalon detractor. It's a great material and is what my raft is made of.