repairing a PVC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repairing a PVC

I have a PVC RIB, the PO wasn't kind to my boat, and there are a few holes that were patched with the boat inflated..

It is now deflated in my "heated" shop, and what is the best way to keep the area flat until the patch sets??
    My driving toys: 1993 Mazda MPV 4X4, 1995 Dodge Caravan Sport AWD (DD), 1990 Chevy Tracker 4x4.
    My wet toys 9' Bombard Rigid hull inflatable boat (Zodiac), 9' & a 10' Pontoon boat & 16' 1973 Starcraft Nova

Re: repairing a PVC

Depending on where the holes are you may or may not be able to keep the areas completely flat. Just be sure to follow proper patching methodology to the letter, especially the roller step. Once you've done that I'd just make the area as flat as possible and not worry about it. Wouldn't hurt to put some weight on it, but if you've done the repairs properly you shouldn't have any issues. This is assuming we're not talking about seams.
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    21' Suntracker(for my girls), 16' Polarkraft MV w/ 25 HP Merc(for me), 14' Odyssey bucket raft, 16' Purple Mad River Explorer; vice-admiral's boat, but she lets me use it as long as I don't forget it's hers. Esquif Vertige

Comment

none of the tears are on a seam line. There was one on the transom, but that was professionally repaired.
      My driving toys: 1993 Mazda MPV 4X4, 1995 Dodge Caravan Sport AWD (DD), 1990 Chevy Tracker 4x4.
      My wet toys 9' Bombard Rigid hull inflatable boat (Zodiac), 9' & a 10' Pontoon boat & 16' 1973 Starcraft Nova

Comment

Originally posted by Pantharen View Post
        none of the tears are on a seam line. There was one on the transom, but that was professionally repaired.
        That's good. Should be pretty straightforward then. Be sure to clean all the old glue off and prep the areas really well, and resist the temptation not to let the glue dry long enough. I know I said it before, but follow the directions to the letter. Are you sure the boat is PVC and not hypalon?
        21' Suntracker(for my girls), 16' Polarkraft MV w/ 25 HP Merc(for me), 14' Odyssey bucket raft, 16' Purple Mad River Explorer; vice-admiral's boat, but she lets me use it as long as I don't forget it's hers. Esquif Vertige

Comment

Originally posted by lncoop View Post
          That's good. Should be pretty straightforward then. Be sure to clean all the old glue off and prep the areas really well, and resist the temptation not to let the glue dry long enough. I know I said it before, but follow the directions to the letter. Are you sure the boat is PVC and not hypalon?
          It is PVC, my Hypalon was a real POS, and I paid way too much for it.. I didn't fully realize just how bad of shape the Zodiac was, until I had let my brother borrow it, and he tried to roll it up, and the floor separated from the sides... You know, if you attach a 150psi compressor to a Hypalon boat, they explode with a really loud THUMP... I scared the poop out of the wild rabbits at my shop..

I'll be letting the glue set for a few days (or longer) before I actually use the boat..

Comment

Actually, I was talking about drying time before applying the patches. The solvents in that adhesive will supposedly eat your boat if they're not allowed adequate time to dissipate.

Comment

Working...
            X