Intex Mariner 4 Slow Leaking Already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Only after few months, one of the chamber started leaking slowly yesterday. I'm very disappointed. I was thinking if this boat lasted a year and half, I'm good, but this was a lot quicker than I expected.

I just called Intex and found out that Intex does not offer any warranty at all. My bad not realizing about this till now.

The dealer only offer 30 days warranty.

I tried to clean up the valve, even swap the valve with other chamber, but didn't help. Since I don't know where the leak is, I cannot really patch anything.

What can I do to fix this? Is there any products that you can put inside the chamber to close up small pin hole, like they have it for car tires?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Intex Mariner 4 Slow Leaking Already!

Spray it with soapy water to find the leak.

Katch

Cadet

What can I do to fix this? Is there any products that you can put inside the chamber to close up small pin hole, like they have it for car tires?

I know of two different brands of sealant. I've used the version by Inland Marine: http://www.shop.inlandmarine.us/product.sc?productId=4&categoryId=3
So far, it is working good.

There's another called Toob Seal: http://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/product.php?productid=283
It probably works just as well.

They claim to seal up small pinhole leaks, but I would patch any leaks first, and then fortify it with the sealant.

Steve

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, thank you and thank you both!

I sprayed the soapy water. First I sprayed around the seams and found nothing. I thought maybe leaking behind the protecting material on the side? That would be bad because it is hard to get to. I just soaped around everywhere and sure enough bubble with hiss sound came from where I was not expected. Not on the seam not on the bottom. It was on the top outside of the tube. And there was a little bit of mark of scratch to it.

I will go ahead to patch it up tomorrow carefully and go ahead to pick up the sealant from store tomorrow.

I doubted the seams first, but this was clearly an user error. It could be some vegetation I ran into while fishing, could be lure, could be landing net...

I'll be a lot more careful after this.

Thanks again! :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The sealant kits designed to be poured into the tubes are really designed for porosity issues and pinholes that are so numerous they can't practically be repaired individually. I wouldn't spend the money and time on it in your case, Loop. Since you've found the leak I'd suggest just fixing it and leaving it at that, otherwise you'll quickly find yourself far exceeding in time and money what you paid for the boat. Good luck.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

True about the cost, Incoop. I think I will save some $50 for this time.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LoopDad: So sorry you got a leak so soon. I have a Sevylor but Intex makes the above-ground pool we have and I am very happy with the quality of materials and workmanship they provide. Their no-warantee policy is a surprise to me and they do themselselves a disservice.

I strongly advise you to NOT use one of those peel off, clear plastic, patch kits. For a pinsized hold, by far the best is a tiny brown glass bottle with applicator, of liquid sealant (~$5). It is hard to find and might be made by Sevylor but I can't be sure at the moment. I will check mine at home if you're interested. It has to be applied with the boat deflated and essentially melts the surface vinyl a little. The patches are of a different material and work themselves off as the boat inflates and deflates with use. Good luck!

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, CopperFox.

Yeah, I know, I was very surprised about the no warranty. I'm happy with the boat, but if I knew there was no warranty before I bought this, I might have picked something else.

The boat came with a patch kit. The same material as boat and a tiny tube of cement. The cement didn't look too promising as it looked like one of those come with model airplanes (if you know). But I used it anyways and it is not leaking any longer.

I haven't taken it out yet. I'll be keeping eye on it for sure.

:)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If hole, scratch, whatever is very small a tiny drop of cracy glue will do the work, tubes needs to be completely clean and deflated before applying glue. Yesterday instant patched 7 small holes found on a 4 meter sib with cracy glue, an hour later was inflated to top 3.5 psi and boating again. Don't like the idea of having 7 small round patches visible on tubes, with CG being trasparent, you can hardly find the sealed repairs.

Happy Boating

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah, I that is a neat trick, Sea Rider. If I get a small hole I again, I'll try that. Thanks!

FvM4owner

Cadet
I've had my mariner 4 for 3 years now with no problems until last couple times out got a hole in the floor from grounding on rough cement and now a few small holes from fishing hooks. Got some flex seal tape and spray patch holes with the tape then few coats of spray overtop seem to work quite well and it's clear can hardly see the patch

Status
Not open for further replies.