Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Desode

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Let me tell you my result with a 65 lb 9.8 hp - 7 mph max speed. It may be that my motor mount wasn't stable enough, but for over 10 mph the boat must be planing. I don't see how a M4 would get on plane. Lighter motor - 3.5-5 hp may give you 8-9 mph imo, but that will be most likely the max.

Same here ! My 3.5Hp runs about 7.2mph my 6hp runs 7.7mph,,,,With the Hydro fin on the 6hp I went to 8-8.8mph depending on payload weight and chop.

I had considered making custom Trim tabs that like my motor mount were attached to the floor and came Over the back and into the water.
I also considered taking Styrofoam and cutting it so that it would perfectly fit in the hull under my custom hard floor.
That would add more flotation and strengthen the hull when going thru the water.
I also looked into custom making inflatable packs that would do what the Styrofoam would do.

I Feel that there is a possibility of combining the Trim tabs mod with a Hull mod and the hydro fin on the outboard and then it may plane.

That however is just a educated guess. I may test it at some point ! LOL

Desode

Last edited:

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

@Desode: Did you consider the "Hobie Mirage i12S"

Hank Parker fishing from the Hobie Mirage i12S - YouTube

Yes I did look at the Hobie Mirage i12S. It and the 385Ft were my two man choices.

I have a friend that has a i12S and his younger Brother had just bought the 2013 385ft, So I paddled both of them before I bought the 385ft.
The 2 main reasons I went with the 385ft was Tracking, stability and Speed with paddling.
I also have a bunch of metal in my left leg and after a few surgeries my knee doesn't have much range anymore :(
That was a Factor because I could not take advantage of the i12s's pedal fin mechanism.
If I could have used that feature, I may have given the i12s more thought even with the higher price point.
Still the tracking in the new 385ft is Hard to believe unless you experience it.
The new 2013 model has also been tweaked and made sleeker and lower then the old 385ft and it makes a BIG difference.

After paddling both the i12s and the 385ft on a couple of different weekends,the i12s got blown around in 10 mph winds and that is not a problem for the 385ft even in 15-20mph winds. With the Drop Stitch keel combined with the 9 inch skeg and new low profile tubes the 385 is not affected by the wind blowing you in a circle.
The i12s was blown in a circle and that made it difficult to fish from in much wind.

Also the speed of the new 385ft is Amazing. You can paddle 5 mph pretty easy if you have some paddling experience, and the i12s is around 3-3.5 mph paddling.
I think the Tracking plays a big roll in that because the 385ft glides like a arrow. This makes for a lot less effort to paddle at a high to average speed and you don't wear yourself out paddling.
I also wanted to be able to stand up and sight fish and with the 385ft having the High pressure floor that can inflate to 15 psi, I can do that with ease, and I could not do that with ease in the i12s.

Today I went out and I borrowed a friends SUP paddle and I used the 385ft as a Stand up paddle board, and it worked great in that application too. It's not something I would do all the time, but it's stability and amazing tracking lets it works very well in that way also.

The 385ft also has a higher payload too at 635pds, and It can be used for two people.
It's actually comfortable with two adults that are around 5ft 11.
I wanted to have the ability to take someone with me when I wanted to.
The ladies Always want to go kayaking ! LOL

So those were the factors for me personally that sold me on the new 2013 385ft.

I'm Very happy with it,,, My only complaint is the foot pump that comes with it.
The pump is just a standard foot pump , not a High pressure pump, and while it does a decent job, the 385ft is Even WAY better when inflated to it's high pressure abilities.
Grant it, I can Understand Why it ships with the standard pump, because then you can't in any way over inflate it.
Still when i got the High pressure turbo pump and inflated it , I could not believe the difference. It gets Crazy Hard, especially the Drop stitch floor. it's pretty much like a hard shell.

Mznewman,,, I hope that Helps explain my choice.
Here is a Unboxing video that one of my friends made of mine for his youtube channel.
This is just part one and the next parts will get more in depth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahALVKOm1jM

Ok I don't want to Drag this Thread away from the M4 anymore, But if you have any other question feel free to send me a PM.

Sincerely Desode
PS I will do a Full written review in it's own thread at the end of this season.

Last edited:

mznewman

Seaman

@Desode. Thanks for the great details. Great info, and very nice video of the un-boxing. I was looking for a companion tube or boat for the M4 so that I can accommodate other family members when needed. The M4, with my fishing mods, are good for 2 or 3 people. This leaves my older daughter having to make other plans. I was considering an inflatable kayak to address this. It will give the girls freedom to do their own thing and still be on the same body of water, nearby. So if I go with one of these, it sounds like I need to make sure that I am getting a 2013 model and not an older one. It looks like they have a Fishing Seat for it as well. Nice. I like the idea of it being stable on the water. Standing in a Kayak would be nice.

Well ... went out on a local lake today with the M4. It was a bit after 5pm. Everything went well. I got a chance to try out my new "Overboard" 60ltr waterproof Duffel Bag. It was nice to get all the nick-nacks off of the floor and leave more room to stand. I could also bungee-cord it to the front (it has D-rings all over). This bag is rated Category-3, so I guess that means when sealed properly it can endure rain or be thrown into the water for some brief period of time. The 60ltr holds a lot.

Oh... and I caught something this time.

catfish-on-lure2.jpg
calm-empty.jpg

G

that's fish looks like a keeper. How u kept it.

mznewman

Seaman

that's fish looks like a keeper. How u kept it.

I used a spoon lure. Odd... I never catch channel catfish on a lure. In the past, only worms, off the bottom. I didn't keep it. I just don't feel comfortable eating the fresh water fish in this part of PA. I am between NYC and Philadelphia, a bit closer to Philadelphia. Would be nice if they posted annual water tests.

We trolled for about 30min, then dropped anchor at this spot that was hitting. 15-20ft deep, 50ft off the bank. I used my new anchor ($12). I know there are lighter ones out there, but this one has no pointy or sharp edges :)

10lb.jpg

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

I used a spoon lure. Odd... I never catch channel catfish on a lure. In the past, only worms, off the bottom. I didn't keep it. I just don't feel comfortable eating the fresh water fish in this part of PA. I am between NYC and Philadelphia, a bit closer to Philadelphia. Would be nice if they posted annual water tests.

We trolled for about 30min, then dropped anchor at this spot that was hitting. 15-20ft deep, 50ft off the bank. I used my new anchor ($12). I know there are lighter ones out there, but this one has no pointy or sharp edges :)

View attachment 211059

I have been catching Cats off of lures this year too. Suspending Rapala in Crawfish finish. First time for me too.
I'm blessed with some really clean lakes near me. You know its clean when you have a Very Health Musky population ! LOL ODNR does a good job with their testing too.

Where did you get the New Anchor ?

mznewman

Seaman

I have been catching Cats off of lures this year too. Suspending Rapala in Crawfish finish. First time for me too.
I'm blessed with some really clean lakes near me. You know its clean when you have a Very Health Musky population ! LOL ODNR does a good job with their testing too.

Where did you get the New Anchor ?

Muskies are rare in my area now. When I was a kid you could catch them. Even in the Delaware. I need to take a fishing/camping trip to Canada, with the M4 :).

I ended up getting the anchor from K-Mart. I went there to pick up braided line and saw it as a clearance item. They had an 8lb mushroom anchor too. I went for the 10lb. Using a Figure9 Carabiner to adjust length.
figure9-biner.jpg

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had to take 2 weeks off from the boat. Helping GF move and stuff. Couldnt bear to come here on a saturday knowing my boat was deflated in the shed :)
Anyways, good stuff. I like the boat with the red seat! Newmans I think. I wound up getting the all grey seat, but same style. I also liked the desode gave us some answers about the 2 motor thing, I was wondering about that also.
In the end, I think that I am going to go the way of MrDr. I am going to leave my M4 as is, and enjoy it. However, as I have used my boat every single weekend except for the last 2 weekends that I was moving, I have justifed myself into buying a bigger and better boat. I Love the M4 and will continue to use it, but any new mods to it will have to be able to be transferable to a larger ( not rubber ) boat. I havent outgrown the M4 and I want to keep it for the lakes I use, but I want a 2nd boat for the other lakes that my M4 just cant do. That will be next summer I hope.
Anyways, I made it out to a new river / lake yesterday and I made another video, and will post it up tomorro ( need good internet at work ). Glad to be back and see all the awesome pictures! I promise my video will be awesome too.

Last edited:

mznewman

Seaman

Here it is:

Very nice video clip. Love seeing how others pack the M4. Packing is as important as the mods IMO. I see you keep the battery close to the motor. I've tried both and have still not made up my mind if front mount battery makes a measurable difference (at my body weight). Other than some minor tweaks, and perhaps a 3-4HP gas motor for the river, I don't plan to make any more significant mods to my m4. Fish-finder, yes, but I do not really consider that a major mod.

I may pull the trigger on a 385Ft kayak for the girls, per Desode's recommendation. Then I've got the family covered.

Again ... awesome footage. Great slide show too. Those pics are nice.

mznewman

Seaman

@Desode ... did you ever see this anchor configuration?

Palmetto Kayak Fishing: Quick release DIY kayak anchor system + bottle opener
21 rolled up.jpg

Its for a Kayak, using a trolly to manage your angle. Clever, and a subset of this design would also work for M4's or any other inflatables. This is where I got the idea to use the Figure9 Carabiner to adjust length. Adding the Vinyl Dummy as a floatation marker to retrieve the anchor is a nice idea too.

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have that same anchor. It is great.

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

My Application for the fast Track , is simply the best portability and fastest setup time I can get while still having As many options of application as I can.

#1. I found myself needing something that I could pack up and take on a Aircraft for traveling. I can have the 385FT as carry on.
It is Very fast, and Very stable and Very tough and has the best tracking available in a Inflatable Kayak ...

I Hope this explains why I mentioned my new 385FT.. It doesn't beat the M4,nor does it make me not use my M4,, it just lets me have more options of application. Frankly these applications are in areas where only a Kayak could fit the bill. Once again though, a Inflatable has beaten the hard shell in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT. :)

Sincerely Desode

Hey Desode,

I agree with you on the versatility of having a smaller and thus portable inflatable to take on trips (God knows I would LOVE to be able to take some sort of watercraft with me when visiting family back in Cuba, and now thanks to your idea, I WILL inquire about the specifics of doing so..)

However like most of us here, I too opted for an M4 because of its great build, semi-rigid floor and attractive price point; and while I would LOVE to get a fasttrack or even one of those hobbies (first time I see an inflatable one with a mirage drive system), as a college student, it is entirely outside of my price range at the moment.

I actually got the M4 about a year or so ago and a few months later decided to get a sea eagle 330 after seeing my buddy's sit-on-top kayak and how well he was able to get into some shallow parts of one of our local rivers here in AZ.

So, I found a great deal on CL and pulled the trigger on one. Now, while the tracking (with original "mini-skeg") is nowhere compared to the fasttrack 385ft, with some simple mods (shown below), mine actually tracks like a dream. Granted you may not be able to stand up unless perhaps you do what mrdrh99 did with his intex-excursion-5 set up and line the tubes with pvc and build yourself a somewhat sturdier platform on which to stand on), but it sure tracks well and you are set up in minutes.

So, I figured I'd humbly share a less expensive alternative to having an inflatable 'yak that one can pack up, fly with, and set up in a fraction of the time (and for a fraction of the cost of a hard top yak or even the 385ft). For a few bucks, you can buy these parts at your local hardware store, put it together, and depending on your portability needs, glue it in two, three, or four piece and/or put pins where desired, for even more versatility in set up.

On a diff note, I would love to see more pictures and details of your dual-motor mount set up for the M4 (when you take it out next time). I personally have been meaning to make a solid plywood floor myself for a while now (actually ever since I saw your dual motor application with it), but have not had the sufficient time to invest in it. When and IF I finally come around to it, I really want to have the dual set up. I like the idea of being able to fish while fully standing and walking around, but I also dread having to set it all up. And it unfortunately seems the more you mod, the less and less you are inclined to take it out, and instead opt for a simpler set up (as an inflatable 'yak).

I actually have owned both an electric TM and a small OB (on separate occasions though), and shortly after taking the lil 3hp Johnson OB out to Rocky Point made the mistake of selling the OB and kept the TM, which I now desperately regret. Needless to say, I am once again looking for a small 3-5hp OB. I was somewhat discouraged to hear that the max speed that can be attained (without the fins) was roughly 7(ish) mph, regardless of whether you use a 3,4,6, or even 9hp OB. I think you are right though, while mounting the OB directly to the hardwood floor will invariably help, the M4's hull is drastically the limiting factor in terms to speed.

Well, cheers to you all, and sorry for the long post, its been a while since I've checked out the forum, and I couldn't believe the sheer size of it (wipe of single tear, :)

It truly feels like a family, an M4 brotherhood (sorry to any M4 lady enthusiasts out there, we love u too, equally, lol)

Without further due, here are the pics:

20130525_230719.jpg
20130525_230727.jpg
20130525_230637.jpg

mznewman

Seaman

hi da_q-ban_one,

Does that connecting PVC arm control movement up/down only?

Regarding the M4 ... I would love to see the speed limitation of the M4 solved in a way that is elegant and does not introduce any additional deterrents for assembly. I agree... The more/complex the mods, the less motivated people are to just grab it and go (i.e. the inflatable Kayak alternative). That is one reason I put limits on my mods. When I go out, there is no thought involved. I grab the 55gal bin, 2-floor sections, seats, battery and motor. Everything is already packed. And I re-pack it the same way after I am finished using it. I even altered the way I fold the M4 from the factory method. The shape is more user friendly in the storage bin, allowing room for the motor mount, ores, pump, and vests. I think I can get seats in there too if I remove them from the 13" pedestals. I just haven't had a reason try it yet.

IMG_1357.jpg

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

hi da_q-ban_one,

Does that connecting PVC arm control movement up/down only?

Regarding the M4 ... I would love to see the speed limitation of the M4 solved in a way that is elegant and does not introduce any additional deterrents for assembly. I agree... The more/complex the mods, the less motivated people are to just grab it and go (i.e. the inflatable Kayak alternative). That is one reason I put limits on my mods. When I go out, there is no thought involved. I grab the 55gal bin, 2-floor sections, seats, battery and motor. Everything is already packed. And I re-pack it the same way after I am finished using it. I even altered the way I fold the M4 from the factory method. The shape is more user friendly in the storage bin, allowing room for the motor mount, ores, pump, and vests. I think I can get seats in there too if I remove them from the 13" pedestals. I just haven't had a reason try it yet.

View attachment 211485

Yes up and down only, it WOULD have been nice to implement a mechanism for twisting as well to allow for faster turning (or steering) the 'yak. But at the time, it was my simple fix to improve tracking, as the original "mini-skegs" (as I like to call them) that are attached to the bottom of the 'yak are anything but useful. With my current setup, there is just enough friction created by the pvc (diameter of I think 2") sliding between the the two rope sections in the back of the craft to allow for easy assembly yet ideal functionality when lowering and raising the "duo-skeg" rig. If you look closer, those are actually a set of M4 paddles that I repurposed (but which are entirely functional as such). I bought a set of assorted PTO pins from Harbor freight (see below) and that is what i used to connect certain pieces. Other pieces are permanently glued together, as it makes it portable and a snap to set up. And as previously stated, it tracks like a dream, compared to the unmodified experience.

PTO pin.jpg

PTO 2pin.jpg

I have not had the opportunity to use a fasttrack 385ft, so I cannot make such a comparison; but I HAVE used a hard shell sit-on-top ocean 'yak before and disliked the unstable-ness of it in terms of side to side wobble. It felt like I could fall off at any moment while paddling hard, or if the slightest wake came my way. The sea eagle 330 or 385ft is very easy to set up and lug with you to those small, deep, jungle-hidden creeks that require a substantial hike to reach. Plus, as Desode so eloquently stated, you cannot take a full sized hard shell on a plane with you, and it takes way more space on the roof of my sedan (making it unlikely that I would ever go on distant trips). The sea eagle 330 on the contrary does not even fill up my trunk halfway, leaving me with plenty of room for other camping/fishing equipment (something that may not be necessarily said about the M4.

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I might be trading my car for a truck so that I might buy a 17' ( or so ) boat. This M4 has created a monster. I will find out tomorrow if my mustang convertible will be replaced with a GMC 1500 with a 4.3L and a 5 speed.

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Desode,

I agree with you on the versatility of having a smaller and thus portable inflatable to take on trips (God knows I would LOVE to be able to take some sort of watercraft with me when visiting family back in Cuba, and now thanks to your idea, I WILL inquire about the specifics of doing so..)

However like most of us here, I too opted for an M4 because of its great build, semi-rigid floor and attractive price point; and while I would LOVE to get a fasttrack or even one of those hobbies (first time I see an inflatable one with a mirage drive system), as a college student, it is entirely outside of my price range at the moment.

I actually got the M4 about a year or so ago and a few months later decided to get a sea eagle 330 after seeing my buddy's sit-on-top kayak and how well he was able to get into some shallow parts of one of our local rivers here in AZ.

So, I found a great deal on CL and pulled the trigger on one. Now, while the tracking (with original "mini-skeg") is nowhere compared to the fasttrack 385ft, with some simple mods (shown below), mine actually tracks like a dream. Granted you may not be able to stand up unless perhaps you do what mrdrh99 did with his intex-excursion-5 set up and line the tubes with pvc and build yourself a somewhat sturdier platform on which to stand on), but it sure tracks well and you are set up in minutes.

So, I figured I'd humbly share a less expensive alternative to having an inflatable 'yak that one can pack up, fly with, and set up in a fraction of the time (and for a fraction of the cost of a hard top yak or even the 385ft). For a few bucks, you can buy these parts at your local hardware store, put it together, and depending on your portability needs, glue it in two, three, or four piece and/or put pins where desired, for even more versatility in set up.

On a diff note, I would love to see more pictures and details of your dual-motor mount set up for the M4 (when you take it out next time). I personally have been meaning to make a solid plywood floor myself for a while now (actually ever since I saw your dual motor application with it), but have not had the sufficient time to invest in it. When and IF I finally come around to it, I really want to have the dual set up. I like the idea of being able to fish while fully standing and walking around, but I also dread having to set it all up. And it unfortunately seems the more you mod, the less and less you are inclined to take it out, and instead opt for a simpler set up (as an inflatable 'yak).

I actually have owned both an electric TM and a small OB (on separate occasions though), and shortly after taking the lil 3hp Johnson OB out to Rocky Point made the mistake of selling the OB and kept the TM, which I now desperately regret. Needless to say, I am once again looking for a small 3-5hp OB. I was somewhat discouraged to hear that the max speed that can be attained (without the fins) was roughly 7(ish) mph, regardless of whether you use a 3,4,6, or even 9hp OB. I think you are right though, while mounting the OB directly to the hardwood floor will invariably help, the M4's hull is drastically the limiting factor in terms to speed.

Well, cheers to you all, and sorry for the long post, its been a while since I've checked out the forum, and I couldn't believe the sheer size of it (wipe of single tear, :)

It truly feels like a family, an M4 brotherhood (sorry to any M4 lady enthusiasts out there, we love u too, equally, lol)

Without further due, here are the pics:

View attachment 211388
View attachment 211389
View attachment 211390

I Agree,, I have been saving for over 3 years to get my 385ft. The reason I started this entire thread was to Promote the M4 as the Best Bang for your Buck. When getting into boating there is Nothing out there that compares with the wide range of abilities that the M4 brings to the table, and with some simple mods, it gets even better !

PS I love the idea on the 330 mod ! Great Stuff

Desode

G

I might be trading my car for a truck so that I might buy a 17' ( or so ) boat. This M4 has created a monster. I will find out tomorrow if my mustang convertible will be replaced with a GMC 1500 with a 4.3L and a 5 speed.

terrible trade. Get a jap car