Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Desode

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

I guess you would need to mount the gas motor on the rear, and electric to the bow. That might be a bit much for the M4. Has anyone implemented that config?

I have Done it. I Of course had I my Custom motor mount which is bolted to My hard Floor for the outboard and then used M4 motor mount for the trolling motor. I had My johnson 6 hp on it..
I believe the M4 is rated for 3hp because of the stress on the original motor mount. That is why I made my custom mount. Instead of pushing on the rear of the boat my motor is pushing the entire floor.

Last edited:

mznewman

Seaman

I have Done it. I Of course had I my Custom motor mount which is bolted to My hard Floor for the outboard and then used M4 motor mount for the trolling motor. I had My johnson 6 hp on it..
I believe the M4 is rated for 3hp because of the stress on the original motor mount. That is why I made my custom mount. Instead of pushing on the rear of the boat my motor is pushing the entire floor.

Ah... Desode, Founding Father of this Thread. Thanks for the reply.
6HP? Do you still make use of the M4 with the 6HP? I saw some older pics of the floor anchored mount. That design does make sense. Do you deploy with both motors or just one at a time? Are you able to go full throttle with the 6HP?

At this time I have a 2 piece floor (symmetrical), and they are not joined. The side chambers, when inflated, act as a clamp to keep them in place. I think I would need to join the 2 sections of floor with a plate in order to distribute the force of something that powerful.

2pcflr.jpg

mznewman

Seaman

You do realize that boat is an acronym for
BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND. :lol:

LOL ... yeah thats a good one. And its so true. I just order a 60Ltr waterproof duffle-bag for $65. I may be crossing that 1k boundary very soon. I want to bring my camera out with me, but my one lens alone is worth more than the whole boat and motor, so the $65 is money well spent. At least that is what I keep telling myself ;-)

@ Cyber6: I just did a google map topical view. Your area is nice. I think the Pocono Mts (Pennsylvania) are really the closest fresh water bodies to me that are ok to eat what you catch. Its too bad.

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

Ah... Desode, Founding Father of this Thread. Thanks for the reply.
6HP? Do you still make use of the M4 with the 6HP? I saw some older pics of the floor anchored mount. That design does make sense. Do you deploy with both motors or just one at a time? Are you able to go full throttle with the 6HP?

At this time I have a 2 piece floor (symmetrical), and they are not joined. The side chambers, when inflated, act as a clamp to keep them in place. I think I would need to join the 2 sections of floor with a plate in order to distribute the force of something that powerful.

View attachment 210385

I Still use the 6hp when I'm on one of my Big lakes for the day. I have a old 3hp Clinton too however it is Single cylinder and Not as smooth.
I have never used the Trolling motor and the 6 hp at the same time. Hmm, that may be interesting. Heck the 3 hp and the TM might be even better because of weight.

I can run the 6 hp wide open, I have a hydro Fin on it though and that plays a roll in that because it keep the rear of the boat up. It also keep the M4 running straight and true.
The thing is that with a 6hp, you see the M4's Hull speed show. The M4 is not designed to plane, and I don't think you are going to get it to plane.
This really means that in my opinion,, your better off to just run a Good 3 hp. Your looking at 1 to 2 mph difference between the two depending on weight of your load.
Now running the Trolling motor and the 6hp may make a difference. I would thing start with the TM and then add in the outboard.
One thing is for sure I would think that running the TM with a outboard would help to keep you straighter if you don't have a Hydro Fin on the outboard.

I agree you would need to brace the two floor halves together.

Sincerely, Desode

Edit,, Need to make a Clarification,, I have had both the TM and the 6hp on there,, I just have never ran them both at the same time.. LOL I may have to try that though some time this fall.
I'm Currently starting to deck out the new 2013 Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track. Got one because of portability and being able to travel with it as Carry on luggage.

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very cool Desode...I personally am beginning to look at buying a 14ft or larger Jon boat, striping it down completely, then rebuilding 100% customized. Now, I totally plan to use the hell out of my m4 until it dies! But I don't plan on doing any more mods to it unless needed. I had all kinds of things planned but no matter what I'm still pretty much limited to the smaller lakes an I'm wanting to be able to get out on the larger lake nearby.

mznewman

Seaman

Edit,, Need to make a Clarification,, I have had both the TM and the 6hp on there,, I just have never ran them both at the same time.. LOL I may have to try that though some time this fall.
I'm Currently starting to deck out the new 2013 Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track. Got one because of portability and being able to travel with it as Carry on luggage.

I went onto their website and watched some videos of the Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track. I watched the durability video. They ran it over with a jeep and struck the hull with a claw hammer. Very clever design. It looks like a high quality implementation too. How/where will you use it?

mrdrh99

I think when my m4 dies I'm gonna go with the 285 frameless pontoon. I would love something smaller as well

G

I went onto their website and watched some videos of the Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track. I watched the durability video. They ran it over with a jeep and struck the hull with a claw hammer. Very clever design. It looks like a high quality implementation too. How/where will you use it?

thats kayak lol. Get a Zodiac by zoom, mercury or a Saturn. Come on guys come plan with the big boys.

mznewman

Seaman

thats kayak lol. Get a Zodiac by zoom, mercury or a Saturn. Come on guys come plan with the big boys.

I think Desode has something else in mind with the SE 385FT. He must be configuring this for a different application than the M4.

The Zodiacs are without a doubt great products. But the key (for me) was to have a budget solution with a small stow/storage footprint. I am "somewhat" budget conscious, but more interested in a compact solution that will allow me to fish and explore some of the water bodies near by, with one or two guests. The M4 (with the help of this thread) attracted me because I liked the idea of being able to experiment with this for well under $1k. The M4 (deflated), motor mount, pump, seats, life jackets, and ores fit into a 55gallon bin. The bin, plus the homemade floor sections, motor, and battery take up a shelf in my garage, and fits into my car and suv while still allowing passengers.

I estimated the Zodiacs cost to be a bit more than double M4 to get the same function (fishing with 1 or 2 others). They do seem to be more of a cruising boat, and am sure they outperform the M4 in that area (especially because they handle over 6HP OB stock). Zodiac also seems to be a great option if you DO NOT want to engage the project of a homemade floor.

@weimed: are you happy with the Zodiac floor stability, even at high speeds? What model do you have?

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

My Application for the fast Track , is simply the best portability and fastest setup time I can get while still having As many options of application as I can.

#1. I found myself needing something that I could pack up and take on a Aircraft for traveling. I can have the 385FT as carry on.
It is Very fast, and Very stable and Very tough and has the best tracking available in a Inflatable Kayak, I would even go as far as to say Only a Long Skinny Fiberglass Kayak can match it.
The New design actually beats hard shell kayaks in a race, even when paddling into 15 mph winds. The 385Ft is 12.6 in length and a 10- 12 hard shell is paddling 2 strokes to my 1 to keep up with me.
It has a Drop stitch high pressure floor that can be inflated to 15 PSI. That lets me stand up and sight fish when I want to and I have been doing a lot of fly fishing and trips involving fly fishing.

#2. I also found myself with Very limited time on some days. I get done and come home ,,eat and then I only have a hour and a half of daylight left. :( I found myself saying , I don't have the energy or the time to go and set up the M4,, YET I wanted to go and Troll for a hour. The 385ft let's me do that. It's Simple and super quick and there is no effort to tossing a TM on there and BAM I'm trolling. With a high pressure turbo pump, its a set up time of 2 Mins 31sec and I'm on the water ! when I'm done it's just as quick to pack it away.

#3. I wanted something that would let me get exercise when I wanted to get exercise. Due to a Lot of metal in my left leg, I am limited to what I can do for Cardio exercise. On some of my weekday evenings, I will just go and paddle for a hour and shoot some pictures of the sunset. The 385ft tracks so well that I can paddle and then stop and It will glide as straight as an Arrow for 200-300 ft. It tracks that well ! This lets me cover a lot of ground even when I want to paddle. I grew up in Hard shell kayaks, I Would have never believed a Ik could do what this one does.

#4. WIND ! Wind is the Enemy of a inflatable. There are days when it's to windy to take the M4 out,, and I can take the 385Ft out. The New model for 2013 is that slick and Low to the water. The Drop stitch Keel combined with the 9 inch Skeg, lets me use it in Crazy wind and I Don't get blown in circles. It's Honestly usable in 20mph winds on flatwater. I have never seen any kind of inflatable that can do that.

#5 Small rivers. I have some creeks and small rivers here where I live, and there are parts of them that I can't take the M4 to.
Simply because I can't lug the M4 with everything in it,,over a hill and through the woods to put in spot. With the M4 I would have to put in a LONG way up stream then take the time to try to get to my Honey hole.
The 385FT lets me put in pretty much anywhere. I can hit some Killer Small Mouth Hot spots that couldn't get to with the M4 and if I need to portage over a low spot I can do that alone with ease.

Don't get me wrong,,,,,I still use my M4 for a full day of lake fishing and at the price point it's still tops in my book for a person on a Budget. I'm on my 3rd season with it and it's still like new. You can Mod it and with a custom hard floor it's the Best Pound for Pound Budget fishing boat out there.

I have a couple of friends that have Zodiacs, and they are nice, but they are more of a Sport runabout.
For my application when I started out the M4 beat it by leaps and bounds especially with the price point being 1/10th of the cost of a zodiac.
If I was surrounded by lakes that were rated for more then 10 Hp, I would have considered a Zodiac or Similar sport runabout. It simply was not needed for my application. I have lots of creeks, Small rivers and Sportsman lakes within a 20 minute radius of my house.

I Hope this explains why I mentioned my new 385FT.. It doesn't beat the M4,nor does it make me not use my M4,, it just lets me have more options of application. Frankly these applications are in areas where only a Kayak could fit the bill. Once again though, a Inflatable has beaten the hard shell in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT. :)

Sincerely Desode

Last edited:
G

I think Desode has something else in mind with the SE 385FT. He must be configuring this for a different application than the M4.

The Zodiacs are without a doubt great products. But the key (for me) was to have a budget solution with a small stow/storage footprint. I am "somewhat" budget conscious, but more interested in a compact solution that will allow me to fish and explore some of the water bodies near by, with one or two guests. The M4 (with the help of this thread) attracted me because I liked the idea of being able to experiment with this for well under $1k. The M4 (deflated), motor mount, pump, seats, life jackets, and ores fit into a 55gallon bin. The bin, plus the homemade floor sections, motor, and battery take up a shelf in my garage, and fits into my car and suv while still allowing passengers.

I estimated the Zodiacs cost to be a bit more than double M4 to get the same function (fishing with 1 or 2 others). They do seem to be more of a cruising boat, and am sure they outperform the M4 in that area (especially because they handle over 6HP OB stock). Zodiac also seems to be a great option if you DO NOT want to engage the project of a homemade floor.

@weimed: are you happy with the Zodiac floor stability, even at high speeds? What model do you have?

i have the zoom by zodiac 350s. Very stable floor but I plan on going for air floor just to decrease build time and take apart. I have a Nissan rouge and I still have my baby seat In the back. If I could start over i would probably buy a Saturn 330 with air floor. Zoom feels very cheap. Like I said before if I had a couple of nice lakes around me I would be in a m4 with 3.5 or a Kota depending on the rules of the lakes

handifly

Seaman

i have the zoom by zodiac 350s. Very stable floor but I plan on going for air floor just to decrease build time and take apart. I have a Nissan rouge and I still have my baby seat In the back. If I could start over i would probably buy a Saturn 330 with air floor. Zoom feels very cheap. Like I said before if I had a couple of nice lakes around me I would be in a m4 with 3.5 or a Kota depending on the rules of the lakes

In the home stretch w my 4-piece, 1/2" plywood floor for my Intex M4. Shopped around for a reasonably priced marine paint. Settled on Rustoleum marine gray. One more coat to go.

Thinking of testing hull speed w my 7.5hp Evinrude. It weighs 65lbs. With my wife in the stern it will balance out me in the front :)

I have yet to try anything but a TM so far. My custom motor mount is being fabricated by a friend and is still in the works.

tutaste

Recruit

I'm in Virginia, here, you can get a 30 registration anywhere that sales hunting/fishing licenses....got mine at walmart. All you need is the cert of origin and your DL. ...

Hello mrdrh99 and other helpful users ;)

I got the Intex Mariner 4 from Amazon with Minn Kota Max 55. I'm willing to register my boat in VA and I think I'll have some problem with paperworks. Willing to ask more about that .

Is there anybody has experience with registering and titling in Virginia ?
Do they approve the Certificate of Origin paper from Intex website ?
How I'm going to fill the First Assignment section?
Amazon standard invoice will be ok to register it ?

Thank you for your helps ;)
Enjoy your boats !

mrdrh99

Tutaste, go to Walmart with your cert of origin, they will give you a temp reg so you go out today!

I sent dgif a copy of that, receipt, pics of the boat, pic of the long *** number on the back, a brief letter explaining that it was an online purchase, and the all important check ($37ish I think). I had my reg papers and stickers in less than 2 weeks!

BTW, never filled out first assignment

Last edited:

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

In the home stretch w my 4-piece, 1/2" plywood floor for my Intex M4. Shopped around for a reasonably priced marine paint. Settled on Rustoleum marine gray. One more coat to go.

Thinking of testing hull speed w my 7.5hp Evinrude. It weighs 65lbs. With my wife in the stern it will balance out me in the front :)

I have yet to try anything but a TM so far. My custom motor mount is being fabricated by a friend and is still in the works.

I have thought about Mods to make the M4 become able to plane. I may try that at Some point as I have some ideas.
I will be curious to see what speed you get with the 7.5 hp on it.

mrdrh99

Me too! 75% of the time I'm fine with my tm but part of me really wants a 3/3.5 to see the difference!

Desode

Seaman Apprentice

Me too! 75% of the time I'm fine with my tm but part of me really wants a 3/3.5 to see the difference!

mrdrh, Depending on what size your Tm is , I don't think you will see much of a difference in speed.
Range yes.

What size is your Tm ?

mrdrh99

mrdrh, Depending on what size your Tm is , I don't think you will see much of a difference in speed.
Range yes.

What size is your Tm ?

I'm running a 30# MK endure with a 109ah battery

Desode, I just passed on a fantastic deal on a 2.5 hp motor, only 3 year old mercury and he was only asking $250! but like I said I'm beginning to transfer my $ and time to finding an old jon boat I can fix up and mod, maybe running a 25hp on so that's why I passed on it! I still plan to use my m4 and possibly putting a larger troller on it maybe a 45, which would one day be on the jon. I plan to always have an inflatable for my smaller bodies of water, I'm keeping an eye on the sea eagle frameless pontoon for when my m4 dies. but for now the m4 is rocking strong and I love that boat!!!

Last edited:

smashed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me tell you my result with a 65 lb 9.8 hp - 7 mph max speed. It may be that my motor mount wasn't stable enough, but for over 10 mph the boat must be planing. I don't see how a M4 would get on plane. Lighter motor - 3.5-5 hp may give you 8-9 mph imo, but that will be most likely the max.