Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Brusac

Seaman
Djchon661 Make sure to use the inflation guide (little plastic ruler) until you get to know the inflation of the boat. If you over-inflate you are much more likely to develop leaks, particularly if using in rocky waters or waters with a lot of sticks, underwater trees etc. I found the tubes are softer than I would have expected when properly inflated. And of course many times after inflating and then being out in the hot sun or in cold water the pressure in the tubes change and you have to add or remove a little bit.

Djchon661

Cadet
Thanks for the info guys! Will make sure to keep eye out on pressure. I plan on getting the mount and Minn kota c30 in February. Just gotta wait a couple pay periods! Lol

BobJames

Recruit
Hi guys, another one that joined this forum just because of this thread! :) Wow what a quality post I have to say. I used to have a Mariner 4 a couple of years ago and this brought back so many memories... Maybe it's time for another another this summer? Either way just want to say thank (even though the thread is years old) for the top notch post, I will be doing something similar when I get mine.

No Title

First time fishing in new boat after floor and seat mods.

Attachments

• photo237086.jpg
    photo237086.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a used Minn Kota endura 40 with battery today. I want to extend the length of the wires so I can keep the battery in the front. What gauge wire should I use?
Thanks

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up a used Minn Kota endura 40 with battery today. I want to extend the length of the wires so I can keep the battery in the front. What gauge wire should I use?
Thanks

You need 8 AWG for 10' or 6 AWG for 15.'. Solder the connections and shrink wrap them if you can or use marine grade wire connectors and cover those with a coating of liquid tape

Last edited:

1idahoguy

Cadet
Extreme Justice: nice setup. Very similar to mine. What size outboard do you have there? 4-stroke or 2? Does it push you around alright - what speeds do you attain?

Extreme Justice: nice setup. Very similar to mine. What size outboard do you have there? 4-stroke or 2? Does it push you around alright - what speeds do you attain?

It's a 4 Stroke 2.5hp. Not sure speed, but moves it around beautifully. By no means will it win any races.

1idahoguy

Cadet
Yeah, I've got a 2.7hp 2-stroke. Same as you, I won't win any races. But it'll push me along at 6-7mph (measured via GPS), which is perfectly adequate for the vast majority of waters I usually visit.

I've seen videos (I'm guessing you have as well) where guys can seemingly get the boat to plane with a 9hp engine. I'm not gonna lie -- that would be fantastic. But mounting such an engine would take quite a bit of work to prevent it from ripping the raft apart I'm afraid.

Yeah, I've got a 2.7hp 2-stroke. Same as you, I won't win any races. But it'll push me along at 6-7mph (measured via GPS), which is perfectly adequate for the vast majority of waters I usually visit.

I've seen videos (I'm guessing you have as well) where guys can seemingly get the boat to plane with a 9hp engine. I'm not gonna lie -- that would be fantastic. But mounting such an engine would take quite a bit of work to prevent it from ripping the raft apart I'm afraid.

I've just got to figure out how to prevent the motor from pushing into the boat.It's not bad, but still does. I can't imagine what a 9.9hp does

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've just got to figure out how to prevent the motor from pushing into the boat.It's not bad, but still does. I can't imagine what a 9.9hp does

I've seen people fabricate a plate, aluminum or weed, that fits between the transom mount and boat. They say it disperses the weight fairly well.

Brusac

Seaman

Somewhere buried in this thread is a post of mine showing the support bar I made for my transom using a short piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and some velcro straps. Total cost maybe $4.00 with plenty of straps left over to organize the cables on my computer station. It made a world of difference (of course I just use an older Minn Kota trolling motor). The PVC is placed between the boat and the mounting posts of the transom and the velcro straps hold the PVC to the posts.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not gonna lie that motor mount looks awesome... I bet it would handle a 5hp nicely... Maybe more

jbcurt00

Staff member
Somewhere buried in this thread is a post of mine showing the support bar I made.......
Which is why having 1 40pg topic makes it difficult to follow whats being done on any 1 build.

It would be easier to follow any 1 project Rib/Sib if they werent all thrown in 1 tub and intermixed.....

Brusac

Seaman
Which is why having 1 40pg topic makes it difficult to follow whats being done on any 1 build.

It would be easier to follow any 1 project Rib/Sib if they werent all thrown in 1 tub and intermixed.....

I hear ya on that. I tried to find it in my history but do not see it there. I will look for the pictures tomorrow and will repost when I find them.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not just to :deadhorse: but if you had started a topic about your Rib/Sib mods or project, the Find all tpoics started by search function from your profile would find it. There is a limit (by #, not date) to how far back your posts can be searched as a list of posts.

Perhaps new topics about the project or mod, that then are linked here w a pix or 2, showing before and after, but not necessarily the process and post after post about 1 mod, intermingled w other projects and mods on those...

Would probably make it an overall better resource to Rib/Sib contributors now, and in the future.

Djchon661

Cadet
Took the M4 out this past weekend for some trout fishing and had a blast! Caught my first ever trout from a boat! No mods done but i was able to stand cast and even switch our positions around. I've never rowed a boat before but I got the hang of it pretty quickly.

I did notice that the valve for the keel oponed and the keel went flat. 20160130_072843.jpg Any tips on keeping the keel from popping open?

Brusac

Seaman
No Title

Here is the add-on I did to my motor mount. It made a huge difference in stability on the motor.

Attachments

• photo203069.JPG
    photo203069.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 16
  • photo237319.JPG
    photo237319.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 16
  • photo237320.JPG
    photo237320.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 14
  • photo237321.JPG
    photo237321.JPG