Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

IMG_20130509_182303_393.jpgCopper, good idea! We'll see what happens, I'm still not completely sold on my 1/4" floor. It's solid, pretty stable, BUT, still a lot of flexing going on, I'm damned determined I'm going to get this floor solid! I'm thinking of possibly 1/2" but cutting it slimmer, so that it just drops in over the slated, but not having to tuck it under the tubes. Trip out today went well! I slept in and didn't get out on the lake until noon, still managed a few fish and had a blast just trolling around, playing my music and seeing nature! Carried the boat on top of the blazer with just two straps across the top, with the floor in! Set up time was about 15 min (I was in no hurry, prob could have been in the water in under 10) still no fun pushing this thing up on top of the blazer but beats the hell out of inflating on site (IMHO)!

Here's a couple more vids:
Custom intex mariner 4 @the lake - YouTube

Custom intex mariner 4 on the water....take 2! - YouTube

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

Wow amazing mods and details!! I can't wait until I get back to start on these mods (still down in Mex fishing..having a blast..). I'm especially loving the extra storage ideas by MrDr and the dolly by Beach... great work guys, thank you for sharing all your ideas and documenting it so well!!

Q-ban

mrdrh99

Lol, I'd trade places with you in a heartbeat!

mrdrh99

So, I took a big leap tonight. I had made an amazing floor for my old Excursion 5, painted/sealed, indoor/outdoor carpet, pipe insulation around the edges....that thing fit like a glove! (really makes me wish the excursion was on par with the mariner, but I know it isn't even close!) I CUT IT UP!!! Made it to drop directly into the Mariner, it doesn't tuck under the tubes, it's 27" wide (what I measured the width of the tubes at the most), but Its about 8" short on length. So, I have to decide weather I'm going to just leave extra room at the ends, or make it a 3 piece floor. When I was out the other day I took along an extra piece of the same wood this floor is made of, it was about 3' long, just enough to stand and cast/fish on, and it was fantastic! I dont think the 1/4" floor added enough stability to be happy with, I might as well have left just the slatted floor in. I'll get pics up soon. Copper...your floor is close enough to 1/2" that you should really enjoy it...are you putting carpet or anything else on? Anyhow, I'll let you know how it goes. Next outing will be Tuesday....with one of my managers from Lowe's! I'll let you know how it goes!

ctid

Recruit

Thanks guys for keeping everyone up to date with the mods, some very impressive DIY skills, I wish I was as talented.

I have an excursion 5, I have a 1/2 ply floor in three sections. It's ok for touring around but the biggest frustration is the motor. A minn kota 50 with 100ah battery doesn't have the legs that I need where I am. So I have just bought a second hand suzuki df2.5, it only weights 13kg! I just need the weather to improve to test drive it.

mrdrh99, your videos have really inspired me. Your last post made me ponder though. Is the Mariner so much better than the excursion? My use is for two kids and wife around the local waterways for trips out (hence frustration of electric) and I want to take up fishing in the summer with my two kids. In your opinion does the Mariner have enough space?

mrdrh99

It is that much better. I equate the excursion to a minivan and the mariner to a more rugged suv. I however do wish i could put an outboard on it, but 3 of the 4 local lakes are electric only. My endura 30 and 109 ah battery last me over 6 hours the other day. No regrets here other than not getting the mariner to begin with.

mrdrh99

Ok, I'm done with the Mariner 4. 1/2" ply carpeted floor with pipe insulation, same storage mods, 2 swivel pedestal seats, mount for fish finder/music. Registration numbers should be in the mail soon, I'll probably use stencils and a permenant marker to put them on the bow. Here are a couple more pics and a video.

IMG_20130513_241816_780.jpgIMG_20130513_241844_784.jpgIMG_20130513_241851_766.jpg

Custom intex mariner 4 final version! - YouTube

shotokan

Cadet

Still waiting on the registration...I guess its only been a week but it feels much longer! What state do you live in? and how did you obtain a temp registration? Thanks!

I am also thinking about getting a thin peice of plywood to place over the stock slates...Any recommendations?

mrdrh99

I'm in Virginia, here, you can get a 30 registration anywhere that sales hunting/fishing licenses....got mine at walmart. All you need is the cert of origin and your DL. As far as the floor, I tried 1/4" ply first, and it works ok, esp if you are going to be sitting most of the time. But if you want to stand and walk around as I did 1/2" on top of the slatted floor is the way to go. I can stand and walk around all day on my floor! Of course you'll want to paint/seal it, I used exterior paint that I already had and then put indoor/outdoor carpet on, glued down with exterior Liquid Nail, and pipe foam around the edges.

Good Luck!

shotokan

Cadet

well SHI*. Has anyone had trouble getting their Mariner4 registered? I live in maryland and the DNR here wont register my boat because Intex doesnt provide an original document of origin. They wont accept the one you can get off the Intex website....Does any1 have any suggestions or experience with this??? Its starting to look like i might have to return the boat..which sucks badly. Any help is appreciated thanks!

mrdrh99

Is it because the first assignment isn't filled out? On my excursion my Ebay seller filled it out for me and that was fine....if not try calling your dnr to explain your situation

hotsauce

Cadet

Wait...the raft/boat doesn't have to be registered does it? Thinking about getting the mariner 4 today or tomorrow. What do you guys recommend for a trolling motor? Is there any big difference in a longer or shorter shaft? Looking at getting the Minn kota endurance c2 30 with a 30 inch shaft and the Minn kota c2 40 with a 36 inch shaft. Also what brand or battery type would be good for longest lasting hours? I have also noticed that there's two of the mariner 4. A 2008 model which has the black and yellow logo on the side and the newer version I guess of with the black and red logos. Any difference between the two? Newby here sorry for so many questions

mrdrh99

Ok, no difference between the year models to my knowledge, you can probably get the 08 cheaper now. As far as the motor, i have the 30, and it usually does fine, however in the wind I've often found my self wishing i had the 40 or even 55, I'd go as big as you can afford. Battery wise, i got the 109 ah battery from Walmart and it last me over 6 hours on the lake the other day (175 acre). Some of the better motors have digital maximizers on them that make them last even longer.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome HotSauce: The red logo is the 2013 version. I have had mine for about a month, and had read all the reviews before buying but got concerned with a newer and possibly different model. All the great reviews were on the 2008 model. I called Intex and specifically asked that. I was told there is no change other than the color/logo. Then I specifically asked about the materials, and was assured the same. Though I never had the 2008 model, I haven't been able to find anything that seems like it might be different except maybe one thing: the oars. They seemed to be a source of concern (durability, strength, etc.) with the old ones. These, with the 2013 model seem very well made. Now maybe I misunderstood and it is the oar locks that were an issue, I can't say. Also, I can't say that these are different, only that they sure don't look flimsy. I've had the boat out about 6 times since getting it and have always used my Minn Kota c2 30. With the new plastic motor mount, it sits well in the water, unlike it did on my Sevylor HF-360, and moves along nicely. I've considered a more powerful one, but I'm a guy - more power is always better, right? For lakes about 100 acres, this size works fine. It just depends on how fast you want to get there. Some with a 55 say they want to go to gas. As far as battery, I have a basic Walmart deep cycle and can troll all day with my set-up. Good luck.
P.S. I am very impressed with this boat but have built a solid wood floor to replace the slat floor so I can put raised, backed swivel fishing seats in it.

mrdrh99

Welcome HotSauce: The red logo is the 2013 version. I have had mine for about a month, and had read all the reviews before buying but got concerned with a newer and possibly different model. All the great reviews were on the 2008 model. I called Intex and specifically asked that. I was told there is no change other than the color/logo. Then I specifically asked about the materials, and was assured the same. Though I never had the 2008 model, I haven't been able to find anything that seems like it might be different except maybe one thing: the oars. They seemed to be a source of concern (durability, strength, etc.) with the old ones. These, with the 2013 model seem very well made. Now maybe I misunderstood and it is the oar locks that were an issue, I can't say. Also, I can't say that these are different, only that they sure don't look flimsy. I've had the boat out about 6 times since getting it and have always used my Minn Kota c2 30. With the new plastic motor mount, it sits well in the water, unlike it did on my Sevylor HF-360, and moves along nicely. I've considered a more powerful one, but I'm a guy - more power is always better, right? For lakes about 100 acres, this size works fine. It just depends on how fast you want to get there. Some with a 55 say they want to go to gas. As far as battery, I have a basic Walmart deep cycle and can troll all day with my set-up. Good luck.
P.S. I am very impressed with this boat but have built a solid wood floor to replace the slat floor so I can put raised, backed swivel fishing seats in it.
Copper, question, I've had several people reply to my YouTube videos asking me how the mariner compares to a sevylor hf360....you could answer this better than anyone. But i would really like to know your opinion as if you never had problems with your valves, would you say the mariner is still better?

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wait...the raft/boat doesn't have to be registered does it? Thinking about getting the mariner 4 today or tomorrow. What do you guys recommend for a trolling motor? Is there any big difference in a longer or shorter shaft? Looking at getting the Minn kota endurance c2 30 with a 30 inch shaft and the Minn kota c2 40 with a 36 inch shaft. Also what brand or battery type would be good for longest lasting hours? I have also noticed that there's two of the mariner 4. A 2008 model which has the black and yellow logo on the side and the newer version I guess of with the black and red logos. Any difference between the two? Newby here sorry for so many questions

Check with your states DMV. In California, as soon as you put any type of motor, you must register.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well SHI*. Has anyone had trouble getting their Mariner4 registered? I live in maryland and the DNR here wont register my boat because Intex doesnt provide an original document of origin. They wont accept the one you can get off the Intex website....Does any1 have any suggestions or experience with this??? Its starting to look like i might have to return the boat..which sucks badly. Any help is appreciated thanks!

shotokan, I also needed the original. DMV in California would not accept the one you can download from their website. They do actually provide you with original document. I called them up and talked to a lady. They signed the original and mailed it to me. They knew why I was asking this and process was rather easy. The first time it didn't come, so make sure to follow up if you don't receive it in few day. No need to return it.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 193218Copper, good idea! We'll see what happens, I'm still not completely sold on my 1/4" floor. It's solid, pretty stable, BUT, still a lot of flexing going on, I'm damned determined I'm going to get this floor solid! I'm thinking of possibly 1/2" but cutting it slimmer, so that it just drops in over the slated, but not having to tuck it under the tubes. Trip out today went well! I slept in and didn't get out on the lake until noon, still managed a few fish and had a blast just trolling around, playing my music and seeing nature! Carried the boat on top of the blazer with just two straps across the top, with the floor in! Set up time was about 15 min (I was in no hurry, prob could have been in the water in under 10) still no fun pushing this thing up on top of the blazer but beats the hell out of inflating on site (IMHO)!

Here's a couple more vids:
Custom intex mariner 4 @the lake - YouTube

Custom intex mariner 4 on the water....take 2! - YouTube

mrdrh99, how the hell you put that thing on the top of the truck? You have to ask somebody's help, don't you?

mrdrh99

Lol, loop, by myself...i lay it on it's side by the back bumper, stand it up, grab the back handle/motor mount and lift....slides up pretty easy once you get it stood up! But yeah....it's a *****!