Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

eclipse3gen

Seaman
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

I just received my Mariner 4 with motor mount. Mine has some of the same markings and creases but they look like they are starting to fade after inflating. I did have a question about the motor mount. I have the Intex composite mount and the tubes in the top mounting rings seem like you need to spread them apart to fit the mounting plate. In doing so it seems like it put a a lot more twisting pressure on the top mount rings - Is this normal?

Thanks

shouldn't have any twist effect. any picture would help.

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just received my Mariner 4 with motor mount. Mine has some of the same markings and creases but they look like they are starting to fade after inflating. I did have a question about the motor mount. I have the Intex composite mount and the tubes in the top mounting rings seem like you need to spread them apart to fit the mounting plate. In doing so it seems like it put a a lot more twisting pressure on the top mount rings - Is this normal?

Thanks
Mine were the same way..no worries. BTW
you'll find that if you put the mount on when the boat is about 1/2 full...the whole thing goes together easier, without straining to get the nuts through the holes, etc Try it both ways..you will see what I mean. You may find that a little play in the motor mount tubes will give you the freedom to not have to pack it away at the end of the day in its awkward shape. I also put lock-tite around the end threads in case one of the nuts decides it want to go for a swim....
Also I found that the second hole ,,,towards the rear of the boat on the motor mount and the lowest hole on the bent section that attaches to the stern, does increase the stability of my minn-kota 40( and probably what ever engine (up to a 3 hp)that you are using.
I wonder if a simple drilling of a third set of holes on the motor mount bracket might solve the "flex" issue of higher HP motors...

Last edited:

AKTrout

Cadet

So the canal next to my house that runs to the lake is thawed, and the lake is almost thawed. Anytime now... and I'll have my floor done just in time. I've got it trimmed up perfect (test-fit, cut, test-fit, cut) and now I just need to round the edges... trying to find a router I can get my hands on for a day. So while I'm waiting for the last of the ice to go away, any of you gents down south taken your Mariner out yet? I'm itchin' here guys, throw me a bone!! You know how much we all like pictures in these forums.

eclipse3gen

Seaman

So the canal next to my house that runs to the lake is thawed, and the lake is almost thawed. Anytime now... and I'll have my floor done just in time. I've got it trimmed up perfect (test-fit, cut, test-fit, cut) and now I just need to round the edges... trying to find a router I can get my hands on for a day. So while I'm waiting for the last of the ice to go away, any of you gents down south taken your Mariner out yet? I'm itchin' here guys, throw me a bone!! You know how much we all like pictures in these forums.

did you check with home depot, they rents em.

i have been keeping an eye on CL and finally found one. going to take a look at like new 05 3.5hp. if the deal happens, might just take it out for a test drive.

Last edited:

eclipse3gen

Seaman

So bought the motor for $300. It's 05 3.5hp. looks almost new. The guy told me that he had it for 5yrs as a second motor and ran it about 5hrs most. did all its tuneups by himself. Water pump was done last year and carb cleanup was done 3yrs ago. he did change oil today. It looks almost new, with very lil wear sign. Inside all clean n pristine. He showed me what to do, what not to. Started up couple of times. He also let me practice:) He seem like a good guy and was very helpful.

Took the mariner out with the motor right after coming back. Couldn't wait:). used the original floor today as I decided to return the floors from Walmart too expensive. i will do the wood floor and my budget is $35. Motor started with first pull on water. Never had a boat or a motor before. So nothing in can compare to. Seem to Idle good and runs! Over all good experience so far.

Anyone else got the same motor? Or know a lil about it? how do i keep it in good shape so it runs without trouble.

image.jpg

Last edited:

MarinerMike

Recruit

shouldn't have any twist effect. any picture would help.

Hard to see how much twist when it's actually together. Here's a pic showing how far off the angle is out of alignment with the mounting rings. I'm considering either putting hinge joints in or just making a slight bend to take some of the pressure off. 20140503_110933.jpg

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Idk... Mine lines up fine.... That's weird

eclipse3gen

Seaman

Hard to see how much twist when it's actually together. Here's a pic showing how far off the angle is out of alignment with the mounting rings. I'm considering either putting hinge joints in or just making a slight bend to take some of the pressure off. View attachment 230778

It does look bit off. Did you try mounting it when it's not inflated? I myself couldn't fit it inflated couple of times.

I would deflate it and put the mount first and then inflate it. When you do that take off the mounting plate and top rods. Try mounting the joints with the first, then the middle joints and mounting plate all the way at the end.

MarinerMike

Recruit

Idk... Mine lines up fine.... That's weird

I have a feeling they didn't put the top mounting eyes turned to the correct angle. Looking at pictures of other m4's it looks like the mounting holes face more to the back of the boat.

MarinerMike

Recruit

It does look bit off. Did you try mounting it when it's not inflated? I myself couldn't fit it inflated couple of times.

I would deflate it and put the mount first and then inflate it. When you do that take off the mounting plate and top rods. Try mounting the joints with the first, then the middle joints and mounting plate all the way at the end.

I can get it to mount but it is really tight and the twist it puts on the top mounting holes worries me that its going to cause it to detach. I have a new 3.5hp Tohatsu to put on. So I really don't want to add any extra stresses. I would just return it but shipping it such a pain and there's no guarantee the next one will be better.

I'm going to try using hinge joints such as these: tube-hinge-joint-stainless-steel-heavy-duty-2137-p[ekm]300x168[ekm].jpg
- I'll let post my results

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can get it to mount but it is really tight and the twist it puts on the top mounting holes worries me that its going to cause it to detach. I have a new 3.5hp Tohatsu to put on. So I really don't want to add any extra stresses. I would just return it but shipping it such a pain and there's no guarantee the next one will be better.

I'm going to try using hinge joints such as these: View attachment 230812
- I'll let post my results
This may be too simple...and you may have thought of it ....how about you break the whole motor mount down again,take all the u bolts out etc and flip the motor mount 180 degrees ,re-attach the bolts and see if the resultant shift balances out the twist.

MarinerMike

Recruit

This may be too simple...and you may have thought of it ....how about you break the whole motor mount down again,take all the u bolts out etc and flip the motor mount 180 degrees ,re-attach the bolts and see if the resultant shift balances out the twist.

Thanks, it comes out the same either way.

lemondrop9344

Seaman

This is a suggestion regarding your floors. Why not order the floor connectors and stringers for an existing inflatable? These are readily available and not that expensive. The connectors keep the floor pieces together and the stringers provide the rigidity.

AKTrout

Cadet

I'm setting up right now to round the edges of my floor pieces and apply the poly. I was wondering: those of you that have done this and been using your floors (mrdrh99) did you also round the edges where the floor pieces meet together? I'm going to do continuous carpet over the top for a clean look and it will mildly act as a hinge, so I was thinking of just rounding the bottom edge where the floor panels meet to avoid pinching the floor material and keel.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey man.... I rounded it out but I just used an electric sander.... Not a router. Took about 30 min and I left the edges where the pieces meet... Just a nice smooth sanding. I used a nice ply though... Not OSB, it's easier to smooth out

dragun23

Recruit

Hello all,

Been reading through this thread for the past 2 days, its absolutely amazing some of the work and ingenuity on the modifications I have seen here!!! I have had my Mariner 4 for 2 years now, and other than the motor mount, a Minn Kota 30 and a battery center i have not done that much to the boat itself. I was mainly using this boat for a yearly trip we take to the Shenandoah River, where we get a cabin and stay for 3-4 days. This will mark the 6th year we have gone and I had both the extra $$ and time to start making some additional modifications. I went to Lowe's and got 2 sheets of 19/32 plywood, a gallon of outdoor deck paint to treat the wood, and the 1/2 inch foam pipe insulators for the edges. I also bought a dry box, a waterproof Bluetooth speaker, 11" seat post with swivel and a John Boat style folding seat for the back.

I want to make a 2 piece floor to make it easier to handle when the boat is in storage. I have seen several people talk about their wood floors but i wanted to see which option is best. Should I, A: Not connect the two pieces at all. B: Hing the pieces together at the middle. C: Use a slat connection with bolts.

My second question is should i just use the slat floor as a template? Or does someone have good measurements for their own wood floor. I know no two boats are exactly the same, but a rough estimate would save me allot of time.

I have looked at several pictures of each of these, I just wanted to get some opinions on setting it up. Will definitely get some pictures up on here as soon as possible, as of now i only have the slat floor out. Thanks for your suggestions and keep up the great work!! :)

eclipse3gen

Seaman