Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

geo2005

Cadet
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Gents,
Admiring pictures of my boat I realized that the engine does not stay submerged enough- see the picture. 20130413_132444.jpg
When I'm on board with my 275 pounds, it seems to be ok, although the anticaviitation plate is obvious higher than the keel line.
It's a short shaft Honda 2.3 HP.
If I will change the driver and I will stay on the front of the boat, probably the propeller will be out of the water.

Did anybody met this situation ?

I don't know what to do, because lowering the motor support (the wood plate I mean) will prevent motor handling and the motor will hit the upper part of the boat.

Any help will be useful and thanks in advance !

shotokan

Cadet

Welcome Shotokan! While I am not new to boating or modding an inflatable, I got my Mariner 4 a week ago! I used a MinnKota Endura 30 on my Sevylor HF-360 and for 2 outings on my Mariner 4. I'm pretty impressed with how both move, though weight in the Mariner 4 has been limited so far. I think I read something about a 40 being a limit for the Mariner 4, but can't recall where or how reliable that is. I have considered a larger motor, though its hard to justify, and what I have looked at is the new MinnKota EnduroMax that came out last year. It has a 36" shaft vs my 30", plus a built in battery monitor, variable speed (not 5 presets) and most enticing, a supposed 5x longer use of the same battery, through more efficient use of the energy. Even if reality brings that down to 2x, that's a significant feature.

I found the 30" shaft had the prop a little high in the water on the Sevylor HF-360 but the lower riding motormount on the Mariner 4 seems to make 30" sufficient.

It is hard to conceptualize driving 1.5 miles, but off the top, I'd say you should have no problem. Would you have the ability to recharge once you got there, or do you have to get back on that too? Of course head winds will have an effect (as would the motor size and your speed). Good luck!

Copper Fox,

I ended up getting the Traxxis 55 trolling motor, I am still waiting for the title and decals to be mailed out to me before I get this boat on the water! Check out the pics.

photo.JPGphoto2.JPG

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice Shotokan, I'm begining to regret getting the endura 30, so much so that I'm begining to look at small gas outboards. I love how the handle piviots on yours. Would love to know how it moves you around on the water. What size battery did you get for it?

beachblue

Cadet
Re: Basic questions

Hi Guys

Some great mods between all of you. Had my Mariner about a month but not yet been on the water with it. Just got to my North Carolina home to prepare for our annual RV trip. I'll be hitting a few lakes this year to use the boat, this is my first time boating but been to so many gorgeous places where would have loved a boat to potter about in.

My first project was to build a launch trailer as my wife is not too mobile and means I will have to launch mostly single handed. Have a look it works pretty good at least in the garage, Just will help me getting it from the RV to the boat launch. Aim to be on the road probably by Thursday. Not yet bothered to make a floor as like mrdrh99 want to see how it feels first, I do have some 1/4" ply pieces that I am putting in to put over the top of the slatted floor.

trailer.JPGtrailer 1.JPG

mrdrh99

Nice beach, I'm still on the fence, I'll be taking the mariner out again tomorrown and thursday with the 1/4" floor and see how it handles. I bought a small furnuture dolly and put it under the rear of the boat with a rope attached, then lift the front end and roll it down the launch ramp and once in the water pull the dolly back out. That worked well the one time I tried it! I like your design but for me space is the issue. I will let everyone know how the floor handles, if it doesn't pan out I do have something else in mind other than heavy 1/2 ply....we'll see. I'm still on the fence about my choice of motor, MK endura 30. In calm water it moves fine but once I get my registration #'s in (hopefully soon) I'll be going out on larger bodies of water for longer periods of time, so that will be the real test. Hell, I may stick with the motor and get a smaller backup battery....who knows, but I am considering a small 2-3hp outboard also.

Keep the pics comming everyone!!!

beachblue

Cadet

I got the Minnkota 40 and some of the online videos show it moving much larger and heavier boats quite fast, think I'll leave the water skis behind this trip though !!!

I designed the launch trailer so that it broke down easily, see pic, used lock pins for the job sooner than glue and then glued joints that didn't need to be broken down except I just realized I glued the T handle instead of pinning it otherwise that would have gone in the bag as well. Took me 3 minutes to break down.

trailer2.JPG

mrdrh99

Thats awesome beach, something similar had crossed my mind! Do you inflate then pick up and put in the trailer?

mrdrh99

So, first trip out this morning with the 1/4" floor. Cut way short by rain.....damn weather channel said I had about 3 hours....pffft, I wasn't on the water 30 min before the drizzle started. Being ignorant, I just moved along the bank under tree after tree, did ok, two bass two crappie before the bottom dropped out!

Success of the day:
1. Floor-1/4" ply over the original floor. It still flexes like the slated floor does however not from slat to slat, very gradual and the 1/4" ply flexes with it instead of cracking like I was afraid it might. There may be something more to be desired, maybe a 3/8" wouldn't flex as much but I was standing, casting, walking to the front to my milk crate storage with no problems. So....after it dries from the rain, I'll paint with exterior paint and then maybe put some left over carpet on it. It was very light, no noticable weight difference.Side note, I could have slid the front section back but I didn't and decided not to inflate the keel today, no wind what so ever today.

2. Storage Mods-the two board on the front and back (cut to shape and painted) were outstanding. The front did excellent at keeping the battery dry in the rain. Milk crate/rod holder storage area did a good job at keeping the clutter out of the floor of the boat, HOWEVER, it's given me a new idea...attaching pvc rails around the entire piece, mounting rod holders as well as trolling rod holders, ditching the milk crate and using the entire board as the "storage" area.....we'll see how that goes in the future. The board on the back mounted to the motor mount did well, after selecting what type of tackle I was using I was able to put the box and my tools (pliers, knife, etc) on the board while rigging up and not worrying about it falling off.

3. Electronics mount-was perfect height for keeping an eye on the fish finder as well as the ipod/speaker pouch I just picked up. Still not mounted to the floor but stayed in place and never got in the way.

4. Transportation-I carried the boat down to the lake fully inflated on top of my Blazer. Now....it's a ***** to push 90lbs up on top, esp in the rain, but cuts way down on prep time at the lake. Plus I was able to leave my 1/4" floor in it while doing so. Only down side is that the way I stand it up it scratches the hell out of the motor mount and the lower rear handle, may need to start taking the motor mount off but I absolutely hate messing with that thing.

All in all a good hour on the water, half in the rain, but the floor and mods preformed well so I'm happy. Best of all, tomorrow, sunny and 80 with only a 5mph wind!

Link to a quick video just before getting on the water today: http://youtu.be/ym6KrgHwk-s

beachblue

Cadet

Thats awesome beach, something similar had crossed my mind! Do you inflate then pick up and put in the trailer?

Yes that's how I do it, have found if I put the trailer in front of the inflated boat I can pick the boat up by the handle and roll the trailer underneath and just drop the boat on it. As the trailer doesn't go the full length of the boat it works a treat.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some very nice work there Gents!
MrDr: Interesting putting the 1/4" on top of the slats. I'd considered something like that but had hoped to have the floor weighing no more than the slats and so am trying just the 15/32" plywood floor. I've included a couple pix, having just gotten it cut and sanded to shape. I intend to cut the hole for the keel valve a bit larger, but do have concerns about it being kicked free if it isn't protected. Right now the plan is to have it located under the seat's crate, but until I am sure the seat will work that close to the front, it's still a concern. I've got the high endurance latex outdoor paint colored to match the boat and hope to get at least one coat painted tonight. I don't plan to attach the boards to each other any way but we'll see. The side tubes and inflated keel seem to hold everything tightly in place, but the true test will be standing on it, in the water. Speaking of which, MrDr, I suspect the floor would flex much less if you had inflated the keel for this morning's voyage. Let me know if you try it that way.
2013-05-07_20-10-45_533.jpg2013-05-07_20-09-29_884.jpg
P.S. I like the 2nd YouTube!

mrdrh99

Copper, that's a good point, i didn't think about that! I picked up my temporary registration today and I'll be headed to the much larger lake tomorrow! I will be painting the floor tonight and will inflate the keel tomorrow! Thanks for the input!

ronaldj

Hi Guys

Some great mods between all of you. Had my Mariner about a month but not yet been on the water with it. Just got to my North Carolina home to prepare for our annual RV trip. I'll be hitting a few lakes this year to use the boat, this is my first time boating but been to so many gorgeous places where would have loved a boat to potter about in.

My first project was to build a launch trailer as my wife is not too mobile and means I will have to launch mostly single handed. Have a look it works pretty good at least in the garage, Just will help me getting it from the RV to the boat launch. Aim to be on the road probably by Thursday. Not yet bothered to make a floor as like mrdrh99 want to see how it feels first, I do have some 1/4" ply pieces that I am putting in to put over the top of the slatted floor.

View attachment 193019View attachment 193020

What size PVC did you use?

ronaldj

I got the Minnkota 40 and some of the online videos show it moving much larger and heavier boats quite fast, think I'll leave the water skis behind this trip though !!!

I designed the launch trailer so that it broke down easily, see pic, used lock pins for the job sooner than glue and then glued joints that didn't need to be broken down except I just realized I glued the T handle instead of pinning it otherwise that would have gone in the bag as well. Took me 3 minutes to break down.

View attachment 193049

Thanks for the picture
This is just a great Idea.
Have you considered larger/wider wheels for soft terrain?

beachblue

Cadet

Thanks for the picture
This is just a great Idea.
Have you considered larger/wider wheels for soft terrain?
I had thought of larger wheels but waiting to see how these work first. The other wheels I had in mind were the type you find on the hand golf trollies as they are probably 3 to 4" wide. In reply to the other question I used 1 1/4" pvc. I got the link pins from amazon (Jacks Tool Shed) for 46 cents each and as soon as I bought ten they put the price up to 99c but still compared to Lowes price of $ 3 + each still a bargain.

geo2005

Cadet

One minor detail, should you choose to go with the crate - Across the top of it, you can see a wire. Your concern about weight on your cooler, did come into play for me. I weigh 215lbs - 220lbs, and my weight caused the sides of the crate to bow outwards when I was on the seat. I used coat hanger wire and bent it into a staple shape, drilled 2 verticle holes in the crate and inserted the wire. This keeps the sides of the crate from bowing out so much. A slightly thicker wire would probably be better for me though.

Hi, CoppeFox and everybody !
I found a replacement for milk crate which is collapsible and more durable: a folding chair which cost $ 12.
Is resistant to 130 kg, about 280 lbs and is about 15 inch tall. Maybe is a good idea not only for me.scaunel-pliabil-845338.jpg
How tall is your milk crate ?

geo2005

Cadet

My first project was to build a launch trailer as my wife is not too mobile [...] Just will help me getting it from the RV to the boat launch.
View attachment 193019View attachment 193020

Nice work !

I'm also thinking of building a boat dolly - I wanted to share with you these funny drawings I've just did.
I'm also thinking to attach some floating devices to the dolly, to be able to recover it easy from the water - or, maybe, just a long strap with an end to the shore.

Of course, the whole assembly will be dismountable, with screws and butterfly nuts.

What do you think, guys ?

Boat dolly 1.jpg
Boat dolly 2.jpg

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geo: You've got my attention! The price is about twice what I paid for the milk crates, but as you note, it is much more solid. The milk crate is about a foot tall, which seems fine, and yours looks maybe 18", which might even be better. The milk crate has a base that is about 12" x 12", which requires it to be strapped to the floor. Yours, if listed as a chair, likely has a base that is larger, removing that requirement. I have a couple of questions, at this point: 1. Where did you get it, or what is it called, so I can look it up online, and 2. How easy do you think it'd be to permanently bolt a swivel and fishing chair to the top?

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MrDrH:
Something else occurred to me: I think it was in your video, you showed a PVC tube running down the port side for the battery cable and spoke of painting it black. What if you were to lay that under the slat floor, along side the keel? You'd not have to paint it and it would be one less item occupying floor space. Just a thought.
P.S. I hope you're enjoying the day on the water!

geo2005

Cadet

Geo: You've got my attention! The price is about twice what I paid for the milk crates, but as you note, it is much more solid. The milk crate is about a foot tall, which seems fine, and yours looks maybe 18", which might even be better. The milk crate has a base that is about 12" x 12", which requires it to be strapped to the floor. Yours, if listed as a chair, likely has a base that is larger, removing that requirement. I have a couple of questions, at this point: 1. Where did you get it, or what is it called, so I can look it up online, and 2. How easy do you think it'd be to permanently bolt a swivel and fishing chair to the top?

I didn't bought it yet, I've just seen it on somebody's house and I looked on the internet to find it.
I think it needs a wooden frame similar to your's in order to mount the chair to the top.

I've searched the internet for you and I found something similar, but some of it looks smaller:
Easy Stool
Wholesale Big Foldable Stool - Customized Stools - #PPC244931
Foldable Chair, Made of Plastic, Measures 286 x 225 x 125mm on Global Sources
China Foldable Stool, Foldable Chair, Plastic Foldable Stool/Chair (B11201) - large image for Foldable Stool
E-Z Foldz Folding Stool | Shop home | Kaboodle

In Romania I found it here
Scaunel pliabil
but I gave you the wrong price: the price is about 11 EURO or $15

the base is the same as the crate, 12"x15", the top is smaller

for me the most important is that's foldable