Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

geo2005

Cadet
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

How well does that motor push the boat? I just picked up a 2hp for the upcoming season.

I have a 2.3 HP Honda (air cooled and light - only 12 kg) and is running ok, much faster and powerful than any electric motor.
Indeed, is not satisfactory on the sea... but neither is the boat.
I've tried a 4.5 HP Mercury (water cooled) and the torque was too strong, also the engine was heavy and hard to manipulate taking in consideration the position for mounting.

So I remained with the 2.3 HP, which I think is the best compromise for such a small boat.

Last edited:

HOLTWA

Cadet

Parsun is basically a jv between a US and Chinese company.
The motor is essentially a Yamaha.
Very good motor for the money

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I should have done more research.... I got a good deal on a Johnson 2hp. I'm not looking for speed.... I want to cruise around maybe 6-7mph. It just weighs a lot less than my kota and battery!

HOLTWA

Cadet

the Parsun 3.6 weighs about 30 pounds. Not bad for a motor with this output. It also has a 1.5L tank which will last about an hour. I live in a small town Edenvale, outside Johannesburg in South Africa

mrdrh99

Had temps in the upper 60's this weekend and I was able to get out on the water for about 4 hours today. Found the winter hiding place for the crappie and saw a few pushing up into the shallows already. Didn't put much effort into catching anything but I figured out my first few areas of interest when we get another wave of warm weather..... Snow in the forecast again next week :/

Had a blast though...... boat performed wonderfully as usual!

Last edited:

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curious, anybody here use a trailer with Mariner 4? If so, any pics? Thanks!

mrdrh99

Loop I've been heavily considering the harbor freight boat trailer..... For how little the boat weighs I figured it couldn't hurt. May need to modify the runners a bit but shouldn't be too difficult.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mrdrh99, there was an old thread about using their utility trailer, Fold up kind with 8" tires, for much heavier boat. I think it was like $300. Then add a plywood and carpet on it. So I was wondering if someone got a cheaper and easier solution.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MrDr: I've been fishing throughout the winter, but in a friend's 14' aluminum. While fun, and functional, it's not my M4! This weekend, for the first time in ages, they are calling for sun on both days! We won't hit upper 60s as you did but it's supposed to be around 50, and that's good enough! I'm going to finally get one of the neighborhood kids out this year. I'll also get to see how that PlastiDip I've used to re-color my padded seat holds up. Stay tuned!

P.S. I too would be interested in a trailer solution, if we can get the price down.

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Copper: that's awesome.... Have fun! Interested in how the seat color holds up.... Would be more worried about it in the summer heat though

Loop.... The only problem I would have with one of those trailer is that (I think) you can't back it into the water so the boat would still have to be loaded/unloaded by hand. Now if you can back down to the water that's a different story.

This past weekend I still carried it fully inflated on top of my blazer and set up at waters edge.... Took about 10 min to get on the water.... I've streamlined my packing and mods

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Loop.... The only problem I would have with one of those trailer is that (I think) you can't back it into the water so the boat would still have to be loaded/unloaded by hand. Now if you can back down to the water that's a different story.

This past weekend I still carried it fully inflated on top of my blazer and set up at waters edge.... Took about 10 min to get on the water.... I've streamlined my packing and mods

I actually assumed those guys were backing it into the water. Why do you think you cannot do that?
10 min is not bad at all. Do you have a hardwood floor on you boat and you lift your boat up on the roof of the truck with the floor in it?

mrdrh99

OK.... I was thinking of adding this to my trolling motor... A foot control that turns the motor and has an on off switchhttp://www.************/ProControll-Transom-Trolling-Motor-Foot-Control/product/10214272/

But after bad reviews I'm thinking of toning down and just getting a switch that turns it on/off to a preset speed

http://www.************/Big-Foot-Trolling-Motor-Foot-Switch/product/16071/

Any thoughts?

Really? Again they blanked out b a s s p r o

Last edited:

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well as for a trailer idea.... these will not make up for a trailer but some decent alternatives. Somebody on this site mentioned tarp and drag it after setting things up. I thought that seemed pretty cool because the tarp is portable. You can also buy a decent size dolly and wheel it in to the water.

mrdrh99

I actually assumed those guys were backing it into the water. Why do you think you cannot do that?
10 min is not bad at all. Do you have a hardwood floor on you boat and you lift your boat up on the roof of the truck with the floor in it?
Loop I've never seen anyone actually use those trailers so I can't say but I didn't think the lights were able to be submerged.... Needs to be looked in to. I only carry the stock boat on the blazer..... Then drop everything just before getting in the water.

Gerald1755

Cadet

I recently purchased an Intex Mariner 4 and have found this forum to be great. I have not had a chance to put the boat in the water yet but am going to try to take it out tomorrow. Like some of you, I have experimented with a dolly. I haven't used it yet to launch the boat but have wheel the boat around the driveway and street and so far so good. I rolled it around with the floor in, minn kota 55lb trolling motor and a group 29 batter. It seemed to do good. If I have the chance to put the boat in the water tomorrow I will let you know how it does. If anyone is interested in any details just let me know.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 19

Gerald1755

Cadet

Couple more pics of the dolly. Btw it cost me about $70 not counting the extension pole that I already had.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 10
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 9

dancour

Cadet

Thanks for posting those detailed pictures of your dolly. I like how it breaks down to be transported.

What size pipe did you use?

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If someone is looking for design ideas for dolly, I posted pic of my dolly on the very first page of this thread that you might want to check out. It is made with two 8 inch caster wheels, two sticks and two piece of left over ply wood from making the floor. It is very simple design, but my goal was to be able to do in & out of water easily and quickly. I spaced two boards to support both the tubes and the floor as I didn't want to strain the boat from the extra weight of floor, two batteries and all my fishing stuff.

I put this under the boat, and strap it to the boat. I push the boat down the boat ramp and actually go into the water with wheels attached. I remove it on the water. It floats. It sit on the nose of the boat while I am on the water. When I come back, I drop the dolly in the water, pull it under the boat, then strap it. I then come to the ramp, jump off and pull the boat up.

Anyhow, not sure but if I ended up keeping this boat this season, I'll probably get a trailer. I'm just tired of setting up/ taking it down.

Gerald1755

Cadet

I used 1" PVC. Wheels are 10" and the handle is from an old swimming pool brush. The idea is, hopefully, I can comfortably launch the boat from a ramp like you would with any other trailer then retrieve the dolly with the handle.