Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Originally posted by handifly View Post
    In the home stretch w my 4-piece, 1/2" plywood floor for my Intex M4. Shopped around for a reasonably priced marine paint. Settled on Rustoleum marine gray. One more coat to go.

Thinking of testing hull speed w my 7.5hp Evinrude. It weighs 65lbs. With my wife in the stern it will balance out me in the front

I have yet to try anything but a TM so far. My custom motor mount is being fabricated by a friend and is still in the works.
    I have thought about Mods to make the M4 become able to plane. I may try that at Some point as I have some ideas.
    I will be curious to see what speed you get with the 7.5 hp on it.

Comment

Me too! 75% of the time I'm fine with my tm but part of me really wants a 3/3.5 to see the difference!

Comment

Originally posted by mrdrh99 View Post
        Me too! 75% of the time I'm fine with my tm but part of me really wants a 3/3.5 to see the difference!
        mrdrh, Depending on what size your Tm is , I don't think you will see much of a difference in speed.
        Range yes.

What size is your Tm ?

Comment

Originally posted by Desode View Post
          mrdrh, Depending on what size your Tm is , I don't think you will see much of a difference in speed.
          Range yes.

What size is your Tm ?
          I'm running a 30# MK endure with a 109ah battery

Desode, I just passed on a fantastic deal on a 2.5 hp motor, only 3 year old mercury and he was only asking $250! but like I said I'm beginning to transfer my $ and time to finding an old jon boat I can fix up and mod, maybe running a 25hp on so that's why I passed on it! I still plan to use my m4 and possibly putting a larger troller on it maybe a 45, which would one day be on the jon. I plan to always have an inflatable for my smaller bodies of water, I'm keeping an eye on the sea eagle frameless pontoon for when my m4 dies. but for now the m4 is rocking strong and I love that boat!!!
          Last edited by mrdrh99; September 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by handifly View Post
            In the home stretch w my 4-piece, 1/2" plywood floor for my Intex M4. Shopped around for a reasonably priced marine paint. Settled on Rustoleum marine gray. One more coat to go.

Thinking of testing hull speed w my 7.5hp Evinrude. It weighs 65lbs. With my wife in the stern it will balance out me in the front

I have yet to try anything but a TM so far. My custom motor mount is being fabricated by a friend and is still in the works.
            Let me tell you my result with a 65 lb 9.8 hp - 7 mph max speed. It may be that my motor mount wasn't stable enough, but for over 10 mph the boat must be planing. I don't see how a M4 would get on plane. Lighter motor - 3.5-5 hp may give you 8-9 mph imo, but that will be most likely the max.

Comment

Originally posted by smashed View Post
              Let me tell you my result with a 65 lb 9.8 hp - 7 mph max speed. It may be that my motor mount wasn't stable enough, but for over 10 mph the boat must be planing. I don't see how a M4 would get on plane. Lighter motor - 3.5-5 hp may give you 8-9 mph imo, but that will be most likely the max.
              Same here ! My 3.5Hp runs about 7.2mph my 6hp runs 7.7mph,,,,With the Hydro fin on the 6hp I went to 8-8.8mph depending on payload weight and chop.

I had considered making custom Trim tabs that like my motor mount were attached to the floor and came Over the back and into the water.
              I also considered taking Styrofoam and cutting it so that it would perfectly fit in the hull under my custom hard floor.
              That would add more flotation and strengthen the hull when going thru the water.
              I also looked into custom making inflatable packs that would do what the Styrofoam would do.

I Feel that there is a possibility of combining the Trim tabs mod with a Hull mod and the hydro fin on the outboard and then it may plane.

That however is just a educated guess. I may test it at some point ! LOL

Desode
              Last edited by Desode; September 5th, 2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

@Desode: Did you consider the "Hobie Mirage i12S"

Hank Parker fishing from the Hobie Mirage i12S - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by mznewman View Post
                  @Desode: Did you consider the "Hobie Mirage i12S"

Hank Parker fishing from the Hobie Mirage i12S - YouTube
                  Yes I did look at the Hobie Mirage i12S. It and the 385Ft were my two man choices.

I have a friend that has a i12S and his younger Brother had just bought the 2013 385ft, So I paddled both of them before I bought the 385ft.
                  The 2 main reasons I went with the 385ft was Tracking, stability and Speed with paddling.
                  I also have a bunch of metal in my left leg and after a few surgeries my knee doesn't have much range anymore
                  That was a Factor because I could not take advantage of the i12s's pedal fin mechanism.
                  If I could have used that feature, I may have given the i12s more thought even with the higher price point.
                  Still the tracking in the new 385ft is Hard to believe unless you experience it.
                  The new 2013 model has also been tweaked and made sleeker and lower then the old 385ft and it makes a BIG difference.

After paddling both the i12s and the 385ft on a couple of different weekends,the i12s got blown around in 10 mph winds and that is not a problem for the 385ft even in 15-20mph winds. With the Drop Stitch keel combined with the 9 inch skeg and new low profile tubes the 385 is not affected by the wind blowing you in a circle.
                  The i12s was blown in a circle and that made it difficult to fish from in much wind.

Also the speed of the new 385ft is Amazing. You can paddle 5 mph pretty easy if you have some paddling experience, and the i12s is around 3-3.5 mph paddling.
                  I think the Tracking plays a big roll in that because the 385ft glides like a arrow. This makes for a lot less effort to paddle at a high to average speed and you don't wear yourself out paddling.
                  I also wanted to be able to stand up and sight fish and with the 385ft having the High pressure floor that can inflate to 15 psi, I can do that with ease, and I could not do that with ease in the i12s.

Today I went out and I borrowed a friends SUP paddle and I used the 385ft as a Stand up paddle board, and it worked great in that application too. It's not something I would do all the time, but it's stability and amazing tracking lets it works very well in that way also.

The 385ft also has a higher payload too at 635pds, and It can be used for two people.
                  It's actually comfortable with two adults that are around 5ft 11.
                  I wanted to have the ability to take someone with me when I wanted to.
                  The ladies Always want to go kayaking ! LOL

So those were the factors for me personally that sold me on the new 2013 385ft.

I'm Very happy with it,,, My only complaint is the foot pump that comes with it.
                  The pump is just a standard foot pump , not a High pressure pump, and while it does a decent job, the 385ft is Even WAY better when inflated to it's high pressure abilities.
                  Grant it, I can Understand Why it ships with the standard pump, because then you can't in any way over inflate it.
                  Still when i got the High pressure turbo pump and inflated it , I could not believe the difference. It gets Crazy Hard, especially the Drop stitch floor. it's pretty much like a hard shell.

Mznewman,,, I hope that Helps explain my choice.
                  Here is a Unboxing video that one of my friends made of mine for his youtube channel.
                  This is just part one and the next parts will get more in depth.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahALVKOm1jM

Ok I don't want to Drag this Thread away from the M4 anymore, But if you have any other question feel free to send me a PM.

Sincerely Desode
                  PS I will do a Full written review in it's own thread at the end of this season.
                  Last edited by Desode; September 6th, 2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

@Desode. Thanks for the great details. Great info, and very nice video of the un-boxing. I was looking for a companion tube or boat for the M4 so that I can accommodate other family members when needed. The M4, with my fishing mods, are good for 2 or 3 people. This leaves my older daughter having to make other plans. I was considering an inflatable kayak to address this. It will give the girls freedom to do their own thing and still be on the same body of water, nearby. So if I go with one of these, it sounds like I need to make sure that I am getting a 2013 model and not an older one. It looks like they have a Fishing Seat for it as well. Nice. I like the idea of it being stable on the water. Standing in a Kayak would be nice.

Well ... went out on a local lake today with the M4. It was a bit after 5pm. Everything went well. I got a chance to try out my new "Overboard" 60ltr waterproof Duffel Bag. It was nice to get all the nick-nacks off of the floor and leave more room to stand. I could also bungee-cord it to the front (it has D-rings all over). This bag is rated Category-3, so I guess that means when sealed properly it can endure rain or be thrown into the water for some brief period of time. The 60ltr holds a lot.

Oh... and I caught something this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	catfish-on-lure2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	7091668

Name:	calm-empty.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	7091669

Comment

that's fish looks like a keeper. How u kept it.

Comment

Originally posted by weimed View Post
                        that's fish looks like a keeper. How u kept it.
                        I used a spoon lure. Odd... I never catch channel catfish on a lure. In the past, only worms, off the bottom. I didn't keep it. I just don't feel comfortable eating the fresh water fish in this part of PA. I am between NYC and Philadelphia, a bit closer to Philadelphia. Would be nice if they posted annual water tests.

We trolled for about 30min, then dropped anchor at this spot that was hitting. 15-20ft deep, 50ft off the bank. I used my new anchor ($12). I know there are lighter ones out there, but this one has no pointy or sharp edges

Name:	10lb.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	7091679

Comment

Originally posted by mznewman View Post
                          I used a spoon lure. Odd... I never catch channel catfish on a lure. In the past, only worms, off the bottom. I didn't keep it. I just don't feel comfortable eating the fresh water fish in this part of PA. I am between NYC and Philadelphia, a bit closer to Philadelphia. Would be nice if they posted annual water tests.

We trolled for about 30min, then dropped anchor at this spot that was hitting. 15-20ft deep, 50ft off the bank. I used my new anchor ($12). I know there are lighter ones out there, but this one has no pointy or sharp edges

[ATTACH=CONFIG]211059[/ATTACH]
                          I have been catching Cats off of lures this year too. Suspending Rapala in Crawfish finish. First time for me too.
                          I'm blessed with some really clean lakes near me. You know its clean when you have a Very Health Musky population ! LOL ODNR does a good job with their testing too.

Where did you get the New Anchor ?

Comment

Originally posted by Desode View Post
                            I have been catching Cats off of lures this year too. Suspending Rapala in Crawfish finish. First time for me too.
                            I'm blessed with some really clean lakes near me. You know its clean when you have a Very Health Musky population ! LOL ODNR does a good job with their testing too.

Where did you get the New Anchor ?
                            Muskies are rare in my area now. When I was a kid you could catch them. Even in the Delaware. I need to take a fishing/camping trip to Canada, with the M4 .

I ended up getting the anchor from K-Mart. I went there to pick up braided line and saw it as a clearance item. They had an 8lb mushroom anchor too. I went for the 10lb. Using a Figure9 Carabiner to adjust length.

Name:	figure9-biner.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	7091703

Comment

Had to take 2 weeks off from the boat. Helping GF move and stuff. Couldnt bear to come here on a saturday knowing my boat was deflated in the shed
                              Anyways, good stuff. I like the boat with the red seat! Newmans I think. I wound up getting the all grey seat, but same style. I also liked the desode gave us some answers about the 2 motor thing, I was wondering about that also.
                              In the end, I think that I am going to go the way of MrDr. I am going to leave my M4 as is, and enjoy it. However, as I have used my boat every single weekend except for the last 2 weekends that I was moving, I have justifed myself into buying a bigger and better boat. I Love the M4 and will continue to use it, but any new mods to it will have to be able to be transferable to a larger ( not rubber ) boat. I havent outgrown the M4 and I want to keep it for the lakes I use, but I want a 2nd boat for the other lakes that my M4 just cant do. That will be next summer I hope.
                              Anyways, I made it out to a new river / lake yesterday and I made another video, and will post it up tomorro ( need good internet at work ). Glad to be back and see all the awesome pictures! I promise my video will be awesome too.
                              Last edited by ChristianMariner; September 8th, 2013, 07:48 PM.
                              sigpic
                              1 Cor 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Comment

Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Here it is:

sigpic
                                1 Cor 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Comment

Working...
                                X