Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Yeah I only used an electric pump on the floor, then used pvc under a 1/2" floor

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, do you find 1/2 inch more than enough as far as standing on and having other gear on it or does it feel like it is pushing its limits.

mrdrh99

1/2" is plenty! Just right balance of strength vs weight

petoria

Cadet

I have 9/16 plywood and carry lots and lots of weight around the harbors no problem. My floor is 3 pieces sanded painted. I can walk and fish standing all day.

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So i guess this means i over did it. Oh well. I guess i will be building muscles in my setup process.
I have a question also about batteries. I just picked up my battery. Now it says it has 650 amp hours but next to it says it has 80 minutes of reserve power. Now i see people on here say they have a 105AH battery and lasting hours. Does this sound right?

mrdrh99

650ah sounds a bit much.... A 650ah battery would weigh 500lb! I have a 109ah and its close to 60lb. You may want to make sure it isn't 650 cranking amp.

On my endura 30# my 109ah last easily a whole day

Last edited:

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What does cranking amps mean because i just checked and that is what it says. 650 marine cranking amps it says.

mrdrh99

That is a cranking battery, not a deep cycle battery, you need to return that one. It won't last you very long, its meant for cranking boat motors.

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But the bottom of the battery says marine/RV. I know it is not deep cycle but it does say it is used for boats. Are you sure i cannot manage with it for a few hours on the water? I think it has 80 amp hours. If i can squeeze like 2.5 hours out of it, i would be fine. Its just this batterg cost $80 and the deep cycle at dicks cost $110. Just trying to save the money if i do not need to spend it.

mrdrh99

Ehhhh.....from my research if you use a non deep cycle that way you'll only get a few uses out of it, its simply not made to be used that way. I got my 109ah from Walmart for $80 and they have some smaller ones (70ish ah I think) starting around $60. Google it if you need more detailed info but I'd highly suggest you return that one, you'll not be happy later!

petoria

Cadet

Agree with mrdrh return it and buy the Walmart one I have the size 27 and 24 and both would be fine for your needs...if cost is your main concern then using a cranking battery would not be cost effective. Cranking batteries can only be drained and charged 4-5 times before the battery is done. You will only be able to use it 5 times and your battery will be dead. A deep cycle marine battery is built to be drained and recharged many times.. cranking battery is just for starting inboards and outboard motors for bigger boats not running them. 80 is the price of the Walmart battery.

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much guys. I will trade it in.

mrdrh99

Good, you won't regret it!

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So i have purchased a dual purpose battery. So i am good to go. I was going to go boating today but the docks from the park i was at was closed. Maybe because of thr holiday.

mrdrh99

Enjoy it bro......take pics for us!

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried loading photos before but for some reason it did not work. I tried loading from my computer straight. Or do you need to have one of those photo sites to link from?

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

20130803_093402.jpg
I am attempting to upload a basic photo of my boat to see if this time my photos actually upload. So this is just a test.

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

20130827_124055.jpg20130830_150111.jpg20130830_151514.jpg
So here is when I made my first floor which was 1/3 inch. It was ok but I heard creaking sounds if I had too much weight in a specific area. But it was awesome to stand on my boat. This was in the summer time in my normal fishing/boating area. I will upload photos of my now completed 3/4 inch carpeted floor.

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

20131111_171217.jpg20131111_171241.jpg
So I am now super excited because I have completed my final floor which can be seen in the photos. I have to inflate the floor maybe 50% for the hard floor to fit best but it still is pretty cool. I have a cooler as my bench seat (with cushion), Minn Kota 30lb motor, and Minn Kota power center. The floor is very heavy though. Keep in mind the Excursion is the biggest Intex boat so the floor measures as a whole, 96 x 37 inches. I can't wait for the warm weather.

Last edited: