Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Yeah that's nice, I'm still holding out for a jet ski trailer!

AnaKinG

Cadet

I've used Kayak Dolly. Seems to work OK. Especially when I HAVE TO use boat ramp with GREAT DISTANCE away from where I can setup my Mariner4. There are many different brands. I think I got mine for about $20-30. If you have to carry all the gear more than 100ft, I'd suggest getting one. This way, you don't have to worry about mounting it.

found a link pretty cheap, but don't know if this guy is reliable shop.
CART-CANOE/KAYAK-KY001 New Jon Boat Kayak Canoe Carrier Dolly by TMS

Cyber6

Cadet

I use the regular brand from either autozone or advanced auto parts most of the time I use valvaline. If you want to get fancy you can order mercury quicksilver oil, Honda and Suzuki also make oil

Are they all Synthetic?

Cyber6

Cadet

I've used Kayak Dolly. Seems to work OK. Especially when I HAVE TO use boat ramp with GREAT DISTANCE away from where I can setup my Mariner4. There are many different brands. I think I got mine for about $20-30. If you have to carry all the gear more than 100ft, I'd suggest getting one. This way, you don't have to worry about mounting it.

found a link pretty cheap, but don't know if this guy is reliable shop.
CART-CANOE/KAYAK-KY001 New Jon Boat Kayak Canoe Carrier Dolly by TMS

Now that's a deal. How do you retrieve the dolly once the boat is in water? do you hold onto a long strap while launching the boat?

Cyber6

Cadet

I use Opti-2
I have been using it for a lot of years now in All my 2 strokes.. It's also sold under the Oregon's "Only One"
Not to long ago I talked to the Vp of Opti-2 on the phone and he said they just sell it to Oregon and they put their Only One label on it.
I have used Tanaka's 2 stroke mix too but I can't get it here in my local area.
I haven't found anything that runs as clean as opti-2. and it's cheaper in the Oregon brand.
I think I pay $1.58 for a tube of it to mix 1 gallon.

It's been Great for me in everything.

Desode

Desode,

Im in Vancouver, BC and OPTI's office is literally right at the US/Canada border but I have never heard of this brand till you put it on here. I'll look into this thing. Wondering why this oil never crossed the border heading north?

AnaKinG

Cadet

Now that's a deal. How do you retrieve the dolly once the boat is in water? do you hold onto a long strap while launching the boat?

So, usually I don't have to push the inflatable into water too deep like we have to with a boat on a trailer. If you get the same kind of kayak dolly as the one I have, once you unstrap it, wheels buoyancy would push the whole thing to surface of water and you can retrieve it that way. It's hard to exactly describe it. It's getting a bit cold for demonstration but if I get a chance, I can post a video. :) You definitely need to fiddle around with it a bit before you feel comfortable. but once you get a hang of it, makes setting up 10x easier.

Cyber6

Cadet

So, usually I don't have to push the inflatable into water too deep like we have to with a boat on a trailer. If you get the same kind of kayak dolly as the one I have, once you unstrap it, wheels buoyancy would push the whole thing to surface of water and you can retrieve it that way. It's hard to exactly describe it. It's getting a bit cold for demonstration but if I get a chance, I can post a video. :) You definitely need to fiddle around with it a bit before you feel comfortable. but once you get a hang of it, makes setting up 10x easier.

So, l looked at the reviews on Amazon and it looks good except when they talk about the petroleum based tires stinking up their places for months. One guy with an infant stated the smell/off gas from those tires poisoned his child. The infant supposedly started throwing up on the first day of bring this dolly into the house.
Are you experiencing anything like that?

These are standard warehouse dolly wheels aren't they?
I really like the frame, I don't think anyone can get a aluminum dolly frame for under $50. I may be able to get new tires for $10/pc from Harbour freight or locally.

Last edited:

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys, I did it!

Guys, I did it!

I got one... finally! And you wont believe what its named ( its quite fitting if you take my username into account hahah! ).
It was $300 and now I need a motor.

2013-10-10_19-02-51_246.jpgcl--1688404461.jpgcl-1249968861.jpgcl-1012609438.jpg

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess Chris is leaving the inflatable boats section :(. We will miss you

Thanks man!
I almost didn't see this message, because I had deleted this thread off of my computer, and then set the computer on fire and thrown it out the window, never to return, but I left me keys in here somewhere...
LOL. Nah, I will have to hang out in here, even if I wind up selling my M4 to buy a motor for the new boat. Honestly,I doubt I would get what it was worth if I sold it and if I can keep it I will. Ideally I would like my daughter to get an interest ( she is 16 ) in the M4 and she can take it out when I am in the 16'. Not that I want her away from me, as much as I think its a fun thing to do and if her and her girlfriends wanted to cruise around the lake while I was off somewhere in the middle. it would be a great time. But, we will see. I also am very curious as to if my M4 would fit on this trailer or not. If it does, than that would be a huge plus for me, and then I would alternate boats, depending on where I was going and who I was with. I already subbed you and mrdr on youtube, so you guys aren't getting rid of me that easily!
:)

G

Thanks man!
I almost didn't see this message, because I had deleted this thread off of my computer, and then set the computer on fire and thrown it out the window, never to return, but I left me keys in here somewhere...
LOL. Nah, I will have to hang out in here, even if I wind up selling my M4 to buy a motor for the new boat. Honestly,I doubt I would get what it was worth if I sold it and if I can keep it I will. Ideally I would like my daughter to get an interest ( she is 16 ) in the M4 and she can take it out when I am in the 16'. Not that I want her away from me, as much as I think its a fun thing to do and if her and her girlfriends wanted to cruise around the lake while I was off somewhere in the middle. it would be a great time. But, we will see. I also am very curious as to if my M4 would fit on this trailer or not. If it does, than that would be a huge plus for me, and then I would alternate boats, depending on where I was going and who I was with. I already subbed you and mrdr on youtube, so you guys aren't getting rid of me that easily!
:)

Nice and thanks for adding my YouTube and I read everyone's posts on there. We will have 3-4 inflatables going out on Monday ill try to make a great video of that

AnaKinG

Cadet

So, l looked at the reviews on Amazon and it looks good except when they talk about the petroleum based tires stinking up their places for months. One guy with an infant stated the smell/off gas from those tires poisoned his child. The infant supposedly started throwing up on the first day of bring this dolly into the house.
Are you experiencing anything like that?

These are standard warehouse dolly wheels aren't they?

I really like the frame, I don't think anyone can get a aluminum dolly frame for under $50. I may be able to get new tires for $10/pc from Harbour freight or locally.

Yeah you may be able to swap the wheels out, and I THINK it is more than likely wheels on standard warehouse dolly. I actually DID notice the odor, but I stored it in the garage. So, it didn't make me or my family sick (good!) So, maybe I got lucky!!! It doesn't smell anymore though after taking it into water a few times. OR it has mutated me and my family into fume resistant turtles.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello folks,

I had my modified Mariner 4 over a year. Now the pipe insulation material that I used to cover the outside edges are torn apart. Constant assembling/ dissembling and put in / taking out from the car did that.

I was going to redo this week, but anybody here used something else which is more durable than pipe insulator?

mznewman

Seaman

Hello folks,

I had my modified Mariner 4 over a year. Now the pipe insulation material that I used to cover the outside edges are torn apart. Constant assembling/ dissembling and put in / taking out from the car did that.

I was going to redo this week, but anybody here used something else which is more durable than pipe insulator?

Loop_Dad, If you are using carpet, and wrap the edges, there is no need for pipe insulation. If you are just using painted plywood (1/2", 5/8", or 3/4"), with no carpet, you can use a machine sander (belt sander is best) to take off the 90degree edges. Then put a few heavy coats of polyurethane on the edges. You can lightly sand poly between coats, making sure nothing sharp is coming through. The poly will also fill moderate lamination voids if you are using a cheap plywood. Again, no need for pipe insulation.

routered-edge.jpg

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last vid I will be making for a while ( shows new boat, not M4 ). I got stranded, haha!

Anyway, I guess I am going to keep the M4 and share the battery back and forth between the two ( I cant use 2 boats at once ). Also, I am going to see if I can share the trailer between both boats!

Cheers!

Cyber6

Cadet

here is the video of Tohatsu 2006 3.5hp that i picked up for $500. M4 near Deepcove in North Vancouver https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6tw1zvg80u4w1g1/Bwr5bAXoLQ"]click[/URL]. I think this boat or raft (a boater on the ramp called it) is too small for my big family. I may go for Aquamarine 11 ft inflatable boat 1.2 mm PVC GYT330

or this Stryker Inflatable Boat 320 10' 5" - Vancouver BC Canada - STRYKER INFLATABLE BOATS, VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA

I was amazed how fast a guy with Stryker inflatable came, pumped air, put on his transom wheel and motor in the water in10-15min while i was there still mounting the motor mount.

the specs look good. Does anyone heard of these guys, Stryker, Seamax or Salter before. Any thoughts.

Last edited:

mznewman

Seaman

here is the video of Tohatsu 2006 3.5hp that i picked up for $500. M4 near Deepcove in North Vancouver https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6tw1zvg80u4w1g1/Bwr5bAXoLQ"]click[/URL]. I think this boat or raft (a boater on the ramp called it) is too small for my big family. I may go for Aquamarine 11 ft inflatable boat 1.2 mm PVC GYT330

or this Stryker Inflatable Boat 320 10' 5" - Vancouver BC Canada - STRYKER INFLATABLE BOATS, VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA

I was amazed how fast a guy with Stryker inflatable came, pumped air, put on his transom wheel and motor in the water in10-15min while i was there still mounting the motor mount.

the specs look good. Does anyone heard of these guys, Stryker, Seamax or Salter before. Any thoughts.

Cyber6, did you ever look at the "defender" brand? They seem expensive but the claim is very high quality (from China.)