Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

The more trust you have, more push you get, therefore faster you should be able to move. However in reality when you try to move faster, you have increased resistance from the water. So upping from 40 to 50 does not mean automatic increase of 25% of speed. This is probably difficult question to answer as the most of the people don't have the experience of comparing the two on Mariner 4. I choose 55 lbs because I wanted to be able to move my boat against current and wind. My 55lbs moves my mariner about 4.5 mph ish.

I do not believe you will save battery juice with bigger motor. It is the other way around with 5 speed. If the battery life is your main concern, you should go small with 5 speed. Hopefully wind does not pick up too badly.

If you have variable speed motor and wanted to move your boat at the certain speed, in theory you will be using same amount of trust and drawing the same amount of current no matter if you have 40 or 55, if everything else is equal (but they are not). You will be turning the knob more with 40 lbs than 55 lbs. However, this does not mean you are using less battery juice with 55 because full throttle with 55 lbs use more current than 40 lbs.

I run a 17# and I seem to move along just fine, even with 2 180+ adults. However, a friend of mine has loaned me his 40# endura. I will be using it this weekend and I will report back the difference. Instead of 2 180+ adults this time, I will have My G.F. , Her son and myself... so it will probably be about the same as far as weight is concerned.

Speaking of reporting...
I was trying to open a boston valve ( number 2 ) to "top it off" while in the water... the whole thing came out and chamber #2 deflated...while I was trolling along in the middle of the lake. I didn't sink. The motor went under us, luckily I carry the pump with me. I pumped it back up, the motor came back to its right position and we continued along.
So, even if one chamber goes flat, you will survive and not take on any water.

Yes, I know not to do that again!

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah.....i always leave the cap finger loose. Will be interesting to hear on the difference in the motors and i plan to have my top done this week for use on Saturday

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A quick question. Is there much of a difference in top end speed between a 30,40 or 55 lb thrust motor on the Mariner 4 ? I'm picking a 40 up this Wednesday. My understanding is that the difference would be trolling at lower speeds using less battery therefor increasing your time on the water with a 40 or 55 over the 30. Is that correct ?

I have used a Minn Kota 30 for 2+ years, first on a Sevylor HF360 and for maybe 6-10 trips on my new-this-spring Mariner 4. Then I got lucky at a BlackJack Tournament and was able to buy a Minn Kota 55. Yes the speed difference is quite notable, especially kicking it into that 5th speed! Is it almost double the speed? Possibly, yes. The back of the boat is noticeably compressed at top speed and rides significantly lower in the water.

Somewhere, someone compared the two as far as power usage. I think it was one of the Amazon reviews, which I read thoroughly before making my purchase. That person seemed quite knowledgeable, though I have no way of knowing for sure. I will try to locate what he said, but the gist of it was this. At speed 3, on the 55, you are at the same speed as 5, on the 30, but due to size efficiency, you are using significantly less amperage and so your battery should last longer. At settings 4 and 5, you are going faster and using more power than the 30 and so your battery will not last as long.

For whatever it is worth, when thinking of increasing the size of my motor, before 'coming into that extra cash', I was planning to buy the 40, figuring a 30% increase in power (40 vs 30 lb thrust) was worth it. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used a Minn Kota 30 for 2+ years, first on a Sevylor HF360 and for maybe 6-10 trips on my new-this-spring Mariner 4. Then I got lucky at a BlackJack Tournament and was able to buy a Minn Kota 55. Yes the speed difference is quite notable, especially kicking it into that 5th speed! Is it almost double the speed? Possibly, yes. The back of the boat is noticeably compressed at top speed and rides significantly lower in the water.

Somewhere, someone compared the two as far as power usage. I think it was one of the Amazon reviews, which I read thoroughly before making my purchase. That person seemed quite knowledgeable, though I have no way of knowing for sure. I will try to locate what he said, but the gist of it was this. At speed 3, on the 55, you are at the same speed as 5, on the 30, but due to size efficiency, you are using significantly less amperage and so your battery should last longer. At settings 4 and 5, you are going faster and using more power than the 30 and so your battery will not last as long.

For whatever it is worth, when thinking of increasing the size of my motor, before 'coming into that extra cash', I was planning to buy the 40, figuring a 30% increase in power (40 vs 30 lb thrust) was worth it. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Copper, I am one of those people that always wants more. I got motorcycles, etc... Here is where I am at: I keep the 17# because I thought that I would have that for my electric and eventually jump up to a gas motor ( we have to register it either way ). But now, hearing that your 55# compresses the boat, to me that sounds like you have hit the limit. I think I might just make that 55# my long term goal instead of a gasoline motor. Any chance of posting a video?

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah.....i always leave the cap finger loose. Will be interesting to hear on the difference in the motors and i plan to have my top done this week for use on Saturday

DUDE!!!!!!

I cannot wait to see if it works, and it does, I am gonna do the same.
This is gonna rule!

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Copper, I am one of those people that always wants more. I got motorcycles, etc... Here is where I am at: I keep the 17# because I thought that I would have that for my electric and eventually jump up to a gas motor ( we have to register it either way ). But now, hearing that your 55# compresses the boat, to me that sounds like you have hit the limit. I think I might just make that 55# my long term goal instead of a gasoline motor. Any chance of posting a video?

I've never tried posting a video here before but it shouldn't be that hard. I don't currently have one of the boat but next time I go out, I'll take one with my phone. While most of the year I fish fresh water, the salmon are starting to come in and dungeness crab season is open so I am out in salt on a friend's boat most weekends now. I should be able to video the boat though in a week or two.

I can say that seeing the impact of the 55, I'm in no rush to do gas.

mrdrh99

DUDE!!!!!!

I cannot wait to see if it works, and it does, I am gonna do the same.
This is gonna rule!

So, I'm thinking I'll be in it under $15 and about an hour in time. I'm not an artist so don't expect a drawing but prelim measurements are about 65" from the floor, 40/45" wide and 50"ish from front to back. Like I said, I want room to stand and fish in the front so I'll be moving some of my extra supplies to the back of the boat. I'm also still thinking about getting that procontrol foot controller for my trolling motor, That way I'll be able to move the seat a little more to the center instead of back. I know, I know, I have a million ideas for this thing.

petoria

Cadet

Man it's so funny how we all have the Same boat in different areas in all different bodies of water but we all have the same ideas and wants out of our boat. I have taken my m4 out to the local harbor 8 times in the last month. I have 9/16 plywood floors 3 pieces It's awesome and so much fun to fish with the wooden floors, I can walk and stand up easily. I also made a bait live well for the boat with a 10 gallon rubbermaid trash can that I use to keep alive squid and anchovies with a drain and bilge pump. It is so much fun catching bass halibut corbina se?orita fish, And lots of rays. I have the minnkota 30 and in the ocean currents and wind it can sometimes lag a little but if you position the prop the closest to the surface you will optimize your speed. When my prop drops a little in the water the speed difference is noticeable. I always use full throttle unless trolling and my battery will last 4-5 hours at full throttle. if I were to do it again a 55 would be my choice however I take 2 people and alot of drinks and gear so we are pushing 750 lbs and am able to move 2-3 miles an hr. i too am getting fried out there everytime we fish and have used umbrellas, lost one lol, but A Bimini would be a dream. Can't wait to see it mr drh!!

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man it's so funny how we all have the Same boat in different areas in all different bodies of water but we all have the same ideas and wants out of our boat. I have taken my m4 out to the local harbor 8 times in the last month. I have 9/16 plywood floors 3 pieces It's awesome and so much fun to fish with the wooden floors, I can walk and stand up easily. I also made a bait live well for the boat with a 10 gallon rubbermaid trash can that I use to keep alive squid and anchovies with a drain and bilge pump. It is so much fun catching bass halibut corbina se?orita fish, And lots of rays. I have the minnkota 30 and in the ocean currents and wind it can sometimes lag a little but if you position the prop the closest to the surface you will optimize your speed. When my prop drops a little in the water the speed difference is noticeable. I always use full throttle unless trolling and my battery will last 4-5 hours at full throttle. if I were to do it again a 55 would be my choice however I take 2 people and alot of drinks and gear so we are pushing 750 lbs and am able to move 2-3 miles an hr. i too am getting fried out there everytime we fish and have used umbrellas, lost one lol, but A Bimini would be a dream. Can't wait to see it mr drh!!

You are out in the ocean? Gotta see pics, man!
What battery do you have? Thanks!

astanton81

Seaman

Nice! How was your trip to the water?

I actually didn't end up taking it out. I actually unloaded it after I loaded it in there, I just wanted to be sure I could fit it. But Saturday they were calling for rain so I ended up not going out becaus I didn't want to get out there then have to pack up quick. I still did some shore fishing though.

I'm hoping this weekend I may be able to get out on it though!

petoria

Cadet

Yeah I only use it in the ocean...I have the Walmart marine 27 with minn kota battery box. It's a harbor..I haven't gone outside the jetty yet, but i want to hit sum kelp paddies right outside the jetty.I blow up the boat at home and then rack it on the roof with kayak blocks and tie downs works great and really cuts down on the time in the water. I will post sum pics later. IMO it works as good or better than a kayak bc you have more room and can actually stand up. I'm gonna take it out to a reservoir in San Diego for sum catfish fishing so I will let u know how it goes. As far as holes and punctures in the boat I've used the liquid plastic for inflatables from Walmart, jb weld marine epoxy works great but only on the rock guard or plastic parts, type b tear aid patches and haven't had a problem yet. I take my pump with me just in case. Punctures and holes are really not a huge deal and can be patched easily, I even had a big hole on the rock guard 6 trips ago and it hasn't leaked yet.

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I only use it in the ocean...I have the Walmart marine 27 with minn kota battery box. It's a harbor..I haven't gone outside the jetty yet, but i want to hit sum kelp paddies right outside the jetty.I blow up the boat at home and then rack it on the roof with kayak blocks and tie downs works great and really cuts down on the time in the water. I will post sum pics later. IMO it works as good or better than a kayak bc you have more room and can actually stand up. I'm gonna take it out to a reservoir in San Diego for sum catfish fishing so I will let u know how it goes. As far as holes and punctures in the boat I've used the liquid plastic for inflatables from Walmart, jb weld marine epoxy works great but only on the rock guard or plastic parts, type b tear aid patches and haven't had a problem yet. I take my pump with me just in case. Punctures and holes are really not a huge deal and can be patched easily, I even had a big hole on the rock guard 6 trips ago and it hasn't leaked yet.

Sounds like you are using the heck outta that boat. Glad to hear it man!
Thanks for the tips about the liquid plastic and jb weld marine epoxy.

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually didn't end up taking it out. I actually unloaded it after I loaded it in there, I just wanted to be sure I could fit it. But Saturday they were calling for rain so I ended up not going out becaus I didn't want to get out there then have to pack up quick. I still did some shore fishing though.

I'm hoping this weekend I may be able to get out on it though!

There was that joke about...

"I was moving and my neighbors came over, after seeing all the boxes in the driveway and said 'Wow, are you moving?'. "No, I replied, we just like to pack up all of our stuff every few years to see how many boxes it takes!'" LOL. Well, I hope you get it to the water next time you load it up man. It seems to rain a lot where you are?

petoria

Cadet

Yeah I've had sum time recently and summer is fun Fishing in the harbor, it's really easy to launch too no carrying a 1/4 mile we pull up and we are In the water in 10 min and no fees to launch. I'm thinking of selling my 30 endura for the 55 or 40. Against current can be a drag and the harbor is big and spacious so I can hit alot of different spots faster with the 55. When you stop and fish for a while on anchor the battery seems to be stronger the next time you use the motor. When I move after fishing I go real fast for a while then I notice a slow down if I'm in full throttle for over 20 min. If it is true that you use less amps in spd 3 on the 55 then it should be better for those of us that don't go long distances on full throttle.

khatch20

Recruit

Hello all;
I am just about to start up the much needed upgrade to the wood floor. Will I be okay to copy the measurements from the roll out floor?

mrdrh99

Depends in if you're putting the floor in before or after inflating.....however its a good place to start. I cut mine a narrow 27" because i inflate@home and drop the floor in before i launch

astanton81

Seaman

Just got my fish finder all wired up. I mean it was all setup but I just needed to put some prongs on the end of the wires so i could connect it to the battery. Hoping to take my Mariner out this weekend for the 2nd time ever, and it will be my first time with a finder on it if I do end up going out.

photo (15).jpg

Last edited:

comfy68

Seaman Apprentice

I think I'm done for now with my upgrades to my M4 for now. I test fit everything after work in the backyard to make sure it all works.
Here are some pics of my set up. Should be out on the water this Monday.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

khatch20

Recruit

Depends in if you're putting the floor in before or after inflating.....however its a good place to start. I cut mine a narrow 27" because i inflate@home and drop the floor in before i launch

Thanks for the advice!