Lettering A Inflatable Boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhines12

Cadet
Will Vinyl letters stick to a inflatable boat or would a person need to paint the letters on the side? Is there another way that I'm not thinking of? Thanks

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lettering A Inflatable Boat?

Will Vinyl letters stick to a inflatable boat or would a person need to paint the letters on the side? Is there another way that I'm not thinking of? Thanks

Vinyl letters will wrinkle and peel off eventually.

West marine sells DIY lettering kits in several colors:
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/10817--inflatable-boat-lettering-numbering-stencil-kits-kit-black.html

You can also order a custom registration plate through them as well:
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/21813--registration-numbering-kit.html

Another way is to stencil it yourself and use Krylon Fusion, which bonds to PVC, most plastics, and other stuff real well.

0976claxton

Seaman Apprentice

Vinyl letters will wrinkle and peel off eventually.

West marine sells DIY lettering kits in several colors:
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/10817--inflatable-boat-lettering-numbering-stencil-kits-kit-black.html

You can also order a custom registration plate through them as well:
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/21813--registration-numbering-kit.html

Another way is to stencil it yourself and use Krylon Fusion, which bonds to PVC, most plastics, and other stuff real well.

I just bought and used the stencil kit. It's bogus. The liquid they provide makes for a very faint number. It looks watered down after it's been applied and not bold. I applied several coats. You may be better off using a stencil and a different product.

abdiver7777

Seaman Apprentice

I simply just used a stencil and a black sharpie..........

I freshen it up every year........ easy.......cheap........

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

use stencles and black vinyl paint mask a area the size of your letters spray with white and then with black for your letters. air it up first vinyl spray paint will streach with the raft and stands up verry good. And you can spray over the letters later with wihite if you have to change them.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First two pics are a couple of old Zodiac. I couldn't find the exact material I wanted so went with what worked before...a 2x4. It turned out OK I think. The new SIB has handles right where I would have pasted or painted the letters so I really had few options.

I did some research in the archives and found where someone said homeland security did not want the numbers like this but I called the Coast Guard and they said not a problem.

Launch date for the new SIB getting closer. Most of the lakes up here in Minnesota still ice covered.

5082218893_4bc6d8482d_z-1-1.jpg

5571351553_989db9efe2_o-1.jpg

5606345943_f4ca7af368_o-1.jpg

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thats kind of like mine .I got a pc of vinyl used stick on letters folded the top over and gluded it so can slip the rope from my rarft thru it

omar h

Recruit

the boatnumberplate.com solution mentioned here is the best solution if you want a permanente job that looks very good. i believe they even include the space for placing the year decal.

as said before, vynil letters won't work and you have to be somewhat skilled with the painted letters for it to be a nice job, the paint easily drips and creates a mess all over that's impossible to correct.

sharpie is good if you don't fold the boat.

good luck!

MilesK

Recruit
I created the Letters using Arial Bold set at 300pt for the font. I printed the letters on a heavier 57#Basis paper stock on the laser printer.
I used an exacto knife to cut out the letters. (I used a thin Black Sharpie to trace the outline of the letters.
I then Lettered My Dark Green Intex SeaHawk 4 using a GOLD Metallic Sharpie.
That by itself would wash off.
I finished it up by outlining the Letters/Numbers with Blue painters tape by 3M. Then I used Rust-O-Leam Clear Coat and did a couple of very "LIGHT" sprays waiting 5 minutes between them. Then I gave it another 3 normal coats. The Rust-O-Leam Clear Coat GLOSS also has UV protection and the Gold Lettered Sharpie looks good. For the Stickers I put Squares of Gear Aid/ Tenacious Tape Clear (Amazon sells it in 2 packs) I'm going to see how well that works to hold the stickers on. It is supposed to work good to seal holes on inflatables. I figured what better stuff to try to hold the sticker to the inflatable boat.
--- Happy Boating!!

Status
Not open for further replies.