Trailering Zodiac NO Tongue Weight

Skippyzod

Cadet
Looking for some help to increase tongue weight on my trailer. I have a aluminum triton jet ski trailer (axles cannot be moved) that I have changed the bunks to accommodate the 10' Zodiac. I have moved the boat as far forward on the trailer without the motor hitting the rear of the trailer. I have added a wheel and spare tire to the front of the trailer. When disconnected from the tow vehicle the front of the trailer will stay down but a little nudge and up comes the tongue. When connected to the tow vehicle it makes a lot of noise at the receiver.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailering Zodiac NO Tongue Weight

It really is important to get that 5 to 10% of total weight as the tongue weight! If you really cannot in any way move the axles then adding weight up forward is about it. If you have a relatively big gas tank then strapping it into the bow adds weight big time. My ten gallon gas tank weighs a lot more than my spare. One other suggestion I can make is to add a rack to the trailer and place a water container up front (or strap it in the bow and take it out at the launch). If your whole set up doesn't weigh too much 5-10% isn't a huge amount of weight.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Been reading tech towing issues on wehicles which states that the ideal weight at the receiver must not exceed 30 kilos for up to medium compact car sizes while towing on horizontal highways. If having a lot more will end up with rear shock absorbers, tires and clutch wearing faster, specially while starting and stopping frecuently as crossing a city with complete traffic caos.

If extreme noise is heard, you need to adjust the central pin nut located underneath the receiver CW to close a bit the claw that secures to the trailering ball to get rid of the excesive side play that traduces in undesirable noise at the union of the ball/receiver when towing. Spray W-40 on ball and upper/lower receiver and adjust locking lever under nut untill lever locks on ball with slight resistance. Don't forget to secure arm lever with a lock.

Watch out for unattended trailer flipping backwards, as you can break portions of the engine tail when smashing against hard surfaces as cement floors, as has happened before on trailers that couldn't be axle re balanced correctly.

Happy Boating

FH alumni

Seaman Apprentice

get a couple of 50 lb olympic weight plates at a garage sale, use a couple of u bolts to secure to the tongue and put some skateboard tape on the top for grip. They add weight up front and act as a platform to step on when launching to avoid getting wet feet.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You could secure your gas tank way up bow, will give 52 Lbs of weight near tongue, other things up front, are also weight welcome :D

Happy Boating