Zodiac floor repair? Looks like an easy thing, is it?

AKCoastie

Seaman Apprentice
I may be picking up a 11ft Zodiac for cheap this Fri. The guy says that part of the floor is unglued. From what I have gathered online, regluing the floor should not be a big deal. Basically clean the fabric well, apply the glue inside the house, and use the correct glue which should run around $30. Am I missing something? The pros are charging a big chunk of change for a repair that seems pretty easy on paper.

carlh

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Zodiac floor repair? Looks like an easy thing, is it?

If the repair is on the flat part of the floor it is a lot easier than on the edges. If it is on the edges you are best doing it with the boat at least party inflated - practice first.
Glue to be used will depend on what material the boat is made from. Rub floor with a little acetone on a cloth, if it is PVC the colouring of the floor will come off onto cloth. If it is PVC
procedure is clean area, rough up with sand paper and clean again. Apply glue to both sides of repair area, allow to dry, apply another coat of glue, allow to dry then put the two parts together and press together hard.
The glue will form an instant bond so getting the correct alignment is critical. It took me two attempts to get mine right and getting a wrong bond apart is not easy.
If it is not PVC the people you buy the adhesive off should be able to advise you.

AKCoastie

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Zodiac floor repair? Looks like an easy thing, is it?

Thanks for the info.