Zodiac Futura speed tubes Vs Bombard Commando

Commando C2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi
just after any advice/experiences with the zodiac futura with the speed tubes under the main tubes?

I have a bombard commando C2 (3.5m max 25hp) with a fold out wooden keel under the aluminium floor boards. It gives a very solid base for a SIB.

I have to have a sib for storage purposes but am looking for a boat that i can put a bigger motor on, 40hp, as i think this is the max for being able to "handle" the engine out the water.

The C2 commando wouldnt plane with 4 adults and 2 small children on board, so am looking for a bigger boat.

The future 3.8m is max rated to 40hp but not sure about the speed tubes.
beaching it looks like it would damage them.

I use the boat to follow a tidal river wave (The severn bore, Gloucester, England) so has to go in rough choppy wavy water.

Also would an inflatable keel on a boat the same length as my 3.5m offer more buoyancy and help the boat plane better?

any experiences of boat present and past or advice welcome.

Thanks

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Zodiac Futura speed tubes Vs Bombard Commando

I have a MK2 Futura (4.2 m). The bottom of the speed tubes is a much thicker layer of material than the tubes or floor. The heavy rubber coating has stood up to beaching on gravel and rock beaches, sharp shell beaches and has withstood being dragged up over rocks too. The speed tubes work really well at higher speeds. I'm not so sure that they help a lot at low speeds, but the bouyancy can't hurt. I run my sib out through overhead waves and I like the stability of the ride they provide. Are you just running with the bore or are you surfing it? Sounds intriguing. I hydrofoil behind my futura. I'm doubtful that would go as well in a regular soft bottom sib, particularly one that didn't have some sort of keel arrangement.

Commando C2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply.
very helpful. More stability at speed would be good as the bombard could do with some more grip really as i have to slow down a bit to turn although i dont think i am at the boats limit it just feels more dangerous to turn at speed.

Can you have the speed tubes inflated whilst trailering the boat or do you have to inflate once in the water?
The model i was looking at was a 1989 mk2cfgt 3.8m with inflatable keel.
The bow doesnt look very turned up which would worry me slightly although it may just look low as the keel may not be inflated fully.

thanks again for the info.
regards

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I leave my speed tubes inflated. If I'm road tripping in mexico (it's a long hot drive) I may let a little air out.

Dangerous turns... yeah, I do that. I can get my zodiac to do donuts at almost full speed where the boat actually skips sideways a little during the turn. Hold on! The speed tubes definitely improve the handling at high speeds.

I haven't had any issues regarding the bow shape. Zodiac futura's have thermo welded tube seams (trouble free for me). The speed tube casing, the floor to tube seam and the transom are all hand glued. Over time the bond will weaken. It isn't the sun (no UV is hitting the glue). It is the heat that kills. Depending on where the boat was stored you may find that there are weak seams on your boat. My Futura is a 91. I had to reglue most of the floor to tube seam and remove and replace the transom. Before buying any older zodiac it is a good idea to fill the boat with a couple of inches of water. Small leaks will be readily apparent. You can't really go around trying to pull seams apart while shopping a used boat (freaks out the seller). But do look at all of the seams carefully. Any raised edges or prior repairs should be examined carefully. Getting a boat repaired professionally isn't cheap. Doing it yourself is not easy, but I spent the time on mine and it has lasted over four years with no problem. Just be aware that an 89 is an old boat and you may need to make some repairs.

Even a mk2c is a pretty small boat for 4 adults and two kids. The vessel can handle the load, but there isn't that much room. It all depends on what you intend to do and where you want to go.

Good luck with your purchase. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Commando C2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi again
more great info thanks.
i checked the date my commando c2 was made and it say 1992! I thought it was early 2000's.
Its in very good condition for that old a boat with no seam wear or glue coming undone.
Seems like these boats last well if looked after in storage when not used all year round. So i am not too worried about the futura being as old as it looks in very good shape also.

I have been reading that the inflatable keels dont offer as much rigidity as the wooden keel under the floor boards.
The seller of the boat wont budge on price so i may have to wait a bit to raise more funds!

this was the boat i was looking at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....655147&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

cheers