Sunlight and Storage

Timezacomin'

Recruit
We recently purchased a 2005 Amanzi 380 with a 40hp Merc outboard. We do not have a covered storage area for it but it did come with a cover. My question is: Even with the boat covered, should it be left in the direct sunlight? We are loving this little boat. It planes nicely, easy to tow, easy in/out of the water.
Thanks for any advice!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sunlight and Storage

If you do not have any other choice, ge a nice bottle of Aerospace 303 protectant, apply product to penetrate well into fabric pores, dry well. If in plain summer with constant water use at beach, lake, pond or whatever, will need to inflate all chambers less than in winter time.

Sibs/ribs usually are inflated to minimum 3.0 psi or 0.20 bar. If you leave boat inflated to that pressure in plain sunlight the pressure will rise beyond 4.0 psi or more, a good thing to do will be to inflate boat very early in the mornig to 2.0 psi and take a pressure reading by noon to see what is the max pressure achived. If it's between 3.0 to 3.5 psi it's ok, this max 3.5 reading is the factory recommended working pressure for any inflatable.

As I'm not the weather man can't tell exactly what minimum pressure to inflate your boat, it's a trial under sun issue, will need a pressure gauge for this test. If with available exterior space, you could leave the boat's bow & transom suspended by means of 2 horizontal wooden slats resting on a flat surface and place a thick canvas open like tent to shade the whole boat. Don't leave unshaded boats lying on cement floors or sand in plain summer sun as temperature will rise to unimaginable levels. :eek:

PD: Have not specified if the boat/engine combo will be left on top of a trailer, anchored at sea and that makeas a big pressure difference to account.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The short answer is yes, it will last longer if covered. The long answer is what Sea Rider told you with a little more emphasis on cleaning with dish soap and water.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The short answer is yes, it will last longer if covered. The long answer is what Sea Rider told you with a little more emphasis on cleaning with dish soap and water.

Sorry, nobody mentioned anything about cleaning with dish soap and water; you forgot to mention being a big hypalon fan that if this Amanzi sib is hypalon made he must wory less....as pvc sibs are crappy.

Timezacomin, requested some advise, as a new boater deserves full advise, the advise I would lhave loved somebody gave me when started sibbing years back, but at that time there was no Internet to share experiences with.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Sorry, nobody mentioned anything about cleaning with dish soap and water; you forgot to mention being a big hypalon fan that if this Amanzi sib is hypalon made he must wory less....as pvc sibs are crappy.

Timezacomin, requested some advise, as a new boater deserves full advise, the advise I would lhave loved somebody gave me when started sibbing years back, but at that time there was no Internet to share experiences with.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider,

In no way was I critiquing anything that you took the time to tell him about. I tend to provide short, "pop" information and anyone who takes the time to go into detail, like you do, should be commended. The Amanzi is Hypalon and people sometimes think they need to do more than they need to on them. Soap and water...And 303 if it isn't kept covered. And the boat should last 15 to 20 years.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sea Rider,

In no way was I critiquing anything that you took the time to tell him about. I tend to provide short, "pop" information and anyone who takes the time to go into detail, like you do, should be commended. The Amanzi is Hypalon and people sometimes think they need to do more than they need to on them. Soap and water...And 303 if it isn't kept covered. And the boat should last 15 to 20 years.

Tohatsu Guru,

Sorry for the missunderstanding, seems went around the bush, plainly agree with your post. If boaters specially new ones would specify the fabric type on their boats, would save lots of unnecessary writting and go straight to the requested point, definitely Hypalon keeping has more friendly parameters compared to pvc fabrics. Holds etreme UV and last 2-3 times more if living on outside environments.

Happy Boating