Zodiac YL275R Trim?

purl

Cadet
I recently purchased a 2000 Zodiac YL275R RIB and put a 1989 8hp Johnson (15" shaft) on her.This was the max recommended hp.With just me (215lbs) and the 5 gal gas can it took about 6 to 8 seconds to plane then it went like the wind and was quite sensitive to tiller movement.When my wife got in 120lbs (forward and opposite to myself) we couldn't get it to plane at all.A couple of questions with just myself in would trim tabs or a foil on the outboard help plane quicker? And is it just a lack of overall hp to not plane at all with the 2 of us in it? And would going over the recommended HP to maybe a 9.9 be a problem or solve the problem?
Thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Zodiac YL275R Trim?

The boat is tiny and was never meant to get on plane with two people in it...It can still be done if you do the following:

Drop down in pitch on the propeller.
Add on a Doel fin or trim tabs.
Loose 35 lbs.

Exceeding the hp plate is a personal decision...Usually bad due to liability and legality. Chances are there would be no ill effect to Hypalon inflatable boat, but yours is PVC and past its normal life expectancy. It is likely that the transom will be coming loose from the tubes anyway. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but be prepared.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Last options :

Inflate rib properly, place gas tank up front & seat wife at bow if you happen to have a horizontal seat, move yourself a bit forward, place trim angle 2-3 hole from transom as to get engine at 90?, cav plate must be paralell to water surface, full throttle and see what happens. If this weight/balance issue sitting on tubes doesn't work, try same, sitting on rib deck. If still doesn't work :

Try doel fins, trim tabs, lower pitch as recommended and place weight as suggested. If this doesn't work neither :mad: and If you don't have legal issues go for a Tohatsu 9.8 HP, 2 strokes if available.

Being a rib and not a sib, won't have transom ungluing problems from hull if this model happens to be a one piece hull, past 5 years expect side end tubes to begin to unglue from transom, anyway can be glued again at a repair shop that knows their job. Good luck on your boating experiment.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Rib Balance.JPG
    Rib Balance.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 0

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The tubes are glued on and do come unglued after 4 to 6 years of UV exposure.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The tubes are glued on and do come unglued after 4 to 6 years of UV exposure.

Fully agree, and some times the fabric stripes that glues hull to upper and lower tubes too.

Happy Boating