7.5 HP outboard big enough?

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Sevylor Zodiac style inflatable, 10.5 feet long, with the air floor, and have just found a Gamefisher 7.5 HP outboard for it. I took it to the lake yesterday, and it just dogged it. It won't go on plane, anything over barely above idle speed and it lugs down in the water in the stern. I tried both raising and lowering the transom height, but no effect. I'm new to inflatables, so any advice would be appreciated.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 7.5 HP outboard big enough?

should plane with a 7.5
I suspect your motor is low on power - start with compression test
I had a 7.5 on my Sevylor TX290- planed ok and went 15mph with just me (200 lbs.)

would barely plane with 2 people

OMC2006042.jpg

My 11 foot Avon planes with a 4HP and just me

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it's one of those Eska 7.5's it's not going to do well. The Force ones are a bit better.

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do I know if it's not a force motor? Would more inflation help?

fishrdan

Admiral

I've had both 7.5HP Gamefishers, Eska and Force. Eska was a dog, Force hauls a... The Eska has a finned powerhead because it's air cooled, like a lawn mower engine, actually it's not far off that.

Try moving some weight forward.

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I've seemed to drop the thread, but I've been at a bad stretch at work. Anyway, 'finned powerhead' - could someone explain a bit more?

This is the motor I have, so any other suggestions for getting on plane would be appreciated.

thanks so much for the input so far!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you've got a pic of your motor, could tell you in an instant.

Here's a bad pic of a Force one
dscf2604.jpg

Eska
7_5_hp_Outboard_Short-Shaft.JPG

Also Eska
dsc03233jpg.th.jpg

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the pic ez! Mine looks just like the first, black motor.

It really seems to run well, but instead of pushing the boat forward, the motor tries to dig under the boat, wallowing at the transom. Maybe raise it a couple of notches with the pins?

fishrdan

Admiral

Here's a bad pic of a Force one
dscf2604.jpg

Hey now,, you sayin' I'm a poor photographer... :eek::p (I probably am)

If running well, the 7.5 Force/Gamefisher is a stout little outboard. It's a de-tuned version of a Force 9.9/15HP outboard. On my jon boat I'm on plane in nothing flat. But,,, it's a different hull. Try the tilt pin in different locations, I can drop/pickup 3-5MPH in the different positions.

Also, make sure the outboard is running on both cylinders. I dropped an ignition coil and everything seemed to run OK (other than low idle) but the outboard was a dog, wouldn't plane. I replaced the ignition system it was back to normal.

I have a StingRay Jr. hydrofoil on mine and it helps pop the boat up on plane big time. I got it with the outboard, then heard they could cause excessive drag so I took it off, big mistake. It went right back on when I got home.

carlh

Seaman Apprentice

As it sounds like you are sitting in "the hole" try putting as much of your weight forward to try and level the boat. Once you are out of "the hole" you can sit further back.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Oh good, glad you have the Force model. That's not a bad little motor at all. fishrdan, I'm sure you know the "bad pic" was in reference to the fact that the Gamefisher was not the intended subject, not the photo quality :p

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice on going forward until I get on plane. I'll try that next time out. In the meantime, I took it floating down the Green river, and it was a blast on the rapids! It was alot more fun than the kayak, and less scary, too.
I'm working on a new transom motor mount for it.
Thanks again for the advice!