how to lift 81lbs outboard by hand?

dunhi11

Cadet
hi guys, i am new here, i am planning to buy a new 4-stroke nissan 9.8hp outboard, it is lightest in its class but still 81lbs, i am just worried how do i lift it and put it on transom by hand? does anybody have similar experience? i have a small zodiac style inflatable without trailer. i usually inflate it on dock and push it into water. since it is difficult to find new 2-stroke, and i need max power - 10hp max. thanks for all advices.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: how to lift 81lbs outboard by hand?

It depends on how fit you are, but an 81 lb. motor could be a bit clumsy to mount on transom, so maybe get your buddy to help you with it?

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

i used to do that with a 18 horse. i would blow it up, then move to as shallow as i could. lay the motor in the bottom of the boat, hard bottom at that, plugs down and prop pointing to the front. clamps up to the engine tilt position and open wide, nothing you can stumble on while maneuvering.
now my motor has a loop under the front where remote steering hooks up, almost like a handle and its mostly flat at the rear where the cover latches to the case.
i grab the loop with my strong arm, pull the motor to a vertical position standing it on its skeg. reach back, grab it in the back where i could get a grip, and in as few movements as possible, pick up the motor, kick the prop out the back at an angle to clear the transom and set the clamps in place on the stern.
son you will pick up a trailer for the boat, as its a lot easier.
you may wanna practice on dry land first, as the motor is really bulky.
i have also went in the water knee deep, putting the motor on from outside the boat, then getting in from the dock.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I'd practice from a beach firts, float sib facing transom in 3/4 mtr water depth, place engine in middle transom, secure clamps tigh, add & tight rope on both eyelets to secure from turning around. Get a buddy to hold sib for you, engines do sink fast :D

Happy Boating

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would have the boat 1/3 on ground with the bow on water. Then i first lift the outboard out of the cart, place it standing on ground near the transom (use something to prevent stratches on lower unit), then stop and breath a little, :D and then hold it tight and tilt it slowly toward the transom mount, aim the bracket for the transom. It is important to make sure the boat isn't moving. Then lift the boat up by the tubes handles and slide it toward to the water. Hope that work!

abdiver7777

Seaman Apprentice

Suggest you install a set of"Launch Wheels" or a trailer and leave the motor installed........

You only get one good back.........

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Give it a big bear hug and slap it on there!

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

get a trailer, i used to do what you are doing, and believe me. a trailer is soooo much easier

xg393

Cadet

You wanna be careful that's for sure, it cost a buddy of mine over $4,000 to get a hernia fixed after he had bust a gut lifting a motor on. A couple of pointers, after being there and seeing that incident when I'm lifting anything now I wear a weight lifter belt, you can get one for a lot less than $4,000 :(
The other thing you must never do is bend forward when you lift the outboard as this puts a lot of stress on the muscles in your groin area, and unless you have a 6 pack you will pop one of them, I've seen it done and you don't want to know how bad it looked :eek:

Matt.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

2 person lift unless you are in good shape

My 25 weighs about 80 pounds, hard to believe a 9.8 can weigh that, but I just take it easy with mine. short lifts, letting it rest on the skeg.

tilt the mounting bracket and angle it down and on to the transom.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You wanna be careful that's for sure, it cost a buddy of mine over $4,000 to get a hernia fixed after he had bust a gut lifting a motor on. A couple of pointers, after being there and seeing that incident when I'm lifting anything now I wear a weight lifter belt, you can get one for a lot less than $4,000 :(
The other thing you must never do is bend forward when you lift the outboard as this puts a lot of stress on the muscles in your groin area, and unless you have a 6 pack you will pop one of them, I've seen it done and you don't want to know how bad it looked :eek:

Matt.

Hysterically funny and absolutely true:)

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 on careful lifting, ive balanced mine on the skeg or laid it down as much as possable, lifting it as little as possable. easier to get a trailer, lol

FH alumni

Seaman Apprentice

Try one of these. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_material-handling+hoists-lifts-cranes+truck-cranes_0_0_P-Brand

Get a piece of 2x2 tube steel and mount the crane on it. Slide it into your receiver hitch. The name brand Spitz lift is 1K, this one for 199 plus a $15 piece of tubing a couple of U bolts gits the same thing. :D

This is on my short list to buy. I built a trailer but when hauling my travel trailer this will be a very nice option when I fold up my boat. (I keep telling myself this is why I bought the Zodiac but the motor is heavy!!)

Put launch wheels on, crane over the motor and you're set.

And, no I don't work for northern tool.

dunhi11

Cadet

thanks for all replies. you guys are very helpful. i am not that fit to lift 80lbs easily. i think 60lbs is my limit. especially i have to lean forward to put it on the transom. and i do not have space for a trailer. if i do, i would like to have a rib instead. and i use public dock so crane/davit is not possible. i think a bear hug and wade in water are my best bet. just hope water is not too cold. thanks again and wish you all nice and safe boating.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, put the boat in the water, and back it up the ramp, you should be able to get the transom in 0-6 inches of water, and if the motor is tilted, it should not scrape the bottom of the ramp.

dunhi11

Cadet

and i will be careful with my abs. i may try launch wheels too.

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Launch wheels made a huge improvement for me since I can now set the motor on the transom in an upright position, just as if it were on a trailer. No more tilting the backet and stooping really low to the ground. Plus, manuvering the boat is a much easier after the motor is on.

Scooter777

Recruit

I had an identical setup as yours. Launch wheels help to get the boat up off the ground to mount the motor on the transom. To actually mount the motor without killing my back I purchased a SpitzLift which is a small hand crane which slips on and off my pickup trailer hitch. Go out to the web and search for Spitzlift and you can find it.
I did have to carry my Tohatsu 9.8 hp up a boat ramp and it did hurt my back and I ain't a little guy..........6'4 and 200.

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice

1) Take the motor and rest it on it's skeg standing up a few feet from the back of the boat. Visualize as if it were to fall, the transom bracket would hit the transom. Just eyeball it for distance. Make sure you transom clamp screws are all the way open.

2) Tilt your and lock transom bracket as if it were in the "full up" position.

3) Lower (tilt) the motor towards the transom, sliding to line it up.

4) The transom barcket will go over the transom, but be at the wrong angle.

5) Lift up on the lower unit, it will fall into position, tighten 1 side of the bracket, while holding it steady.

6) Line it up, and tighten securely.

This method sounds strange, but it works. Just takes a little pratice. I did it with a 4-stroke 9.9 and a 15 at 115lbs many times. I got pretty good at it.
Now the boat is trailered, so the motor stays on.

Just give it a try and watch your back. Get some help until you get familiar with the procedure.