3-4hp outboard needed, advice appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3-4hp outboard needed, advice appreciated

Hi Yamzy,

I guess you're looking for advice on make/model of outboards around the 3-4hp range ? If so then I'd recommend a Suzuki 2.5 I had one of them on a 15ft West Wight Potter sailboat {not the lightest of boats for its size}, and the 2.5 Suzie was all I ever needed, add to that it was reliable, easy on gas, they say it's the lightest 2.5 ever made, something you'll appreciate if you have to lug it around on and off the boat, in and out of the car, in and out of the garage, and so on.

Check out the web site below, although I haven't ever bought from them I know folks who have, and they got good prices and good customer service.

http://www.porta-bote.com/SUZUKI.htm

Although I sold the WWP almost 15 years ago the 2.5 is still attached to "Lionheart" still pushing it around without any problems, and still looking good.

For an outboard under 4hp I think Suzuki are second to none, they will push a canoe or a small sailboat, no problem...

dozer5832

Cadet
i had a 4hp 2 stroke suzuki with internal tank mine was older but the newer ones were 6hp with a restricter plate on the carb making it a 4hp ,,it was an amazing little motor ,,but do your research on years and get a 6hp 4 hp restricter ,,i would buy everyone i could find ,,,suzuki all the way

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A little late to tell the OP what to look for. He asked way back in 2010.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.