Avon Inflatable Wood Floor Side Extrusions

barney9153

Recruit
Hi. Does anyone have available side extrusions for an Avon R310 wooden floor or know where I can get them. Avon have said they are no longer available from them.

Many thanks

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Avon Inflatable Wood Floor Side Extrusions

Would the {unused/mint condition} aluminum ones from my Saturn 365 would fit ? or be adaptable ? If you {or anyone} can use them they are yours for the cost of p&p.

Canada Bob.

Beater

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, what length are your side pieces?

barney9153

Recruit

Hi guys. Thanks for your replies. I do not have any side pieces.
The three boards each measure 72cm long x 84cm wide
Here are some pics.
By the way i'm in uk so I guess costs would prohibit.

Attachments

• DSC_0187.jpg
    DSC_0187.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I have an Avon 320 with the same type of floor - my side runners are wood, not extrusion.

only aluminum on mine is that 1 pc at the front of the rear floorboard- same as I see on yours

you could probably get the largest dowel you can find, and shave off the sides a bit with a plane- router a wide slot for the floor boards with a circular saw, and create a reasonable facsimile of the originals.

Or use 3 pieces of wood and glue/rivet them together and shape them

mine are kinda this shape:

Attachments

• floorshape.jpg
    floorshape.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 0

barney9153

Recruit

Hi. What do the side runners actaully do. I was hoping they would make it easier to fit the floor which I do manage eventually.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

keep the floor from folding up when you hit waves

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice

By the way i'm in uk so I guess costs would prohibit.

Where abouts in the Untidy Kingdom Barney ?

I'm ex 53.33' 49.89" North by 2.35' 56.55 West myself, some 30 years ago.

The thing is, I might be able to get the aluminium side pieces over to the UK at no cost to you as a buddy of mine will be going back, I reckon I could persuade him to take them with him, after that it would just be the cost of Royal Mail, which aint cheap anymore :( that or you could pick them up if you're within driving distance of the above.

Might be an idea for you to check the Saturn Boat site, to see if you think what I have here off a SD365 would work for your boat.

http://www.boatstogo.com/PlywoodFloor.asp

Canada Bob.

barney9153

Recruit

Dear Canada Bob
Many thanks for your kind offer. You have totally got me with your
53.33' 49.89" North by 2.35' 56.55 West. Couldn't even find it on google!
Anyway i'm South East London/Kent in Bromley. So if you are able to arrange something I am happy to pay uk postage which could be paid via Paypal.
Kind regards
Bob!
Barney is my username.

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Dear Canada Bob
Many thanks for your kind offer. You have totally got me with your
53.33' 49.89" North by 2.35' 56.55 West. Couldn't even find it on google!
Anyway i'm South East London/Kent in Bromley. So if you are able to arrange something I am happy to pay uk postage which could be paid via Paypal.
Kind regards Bob!
Barney is my username.

Might be a bit too precise Barney, try 53.34 North by 2.36 West.

Think "The Home of Rugby Leauge" Billy Boston, or Fred "Punchy" Griffiths, he lived next door, long time ago though...

Was it just the side runners you need ?

Bob.

barney9153

Recruit

Hi Bob

I take it you were from Yorkshire then.

I think it's just side runners. What else could there be?

Regards
Bob

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Bob...

Yorkshire !!! "How Much" ;) nah, wrong side of the border, Lancashire, Wigan to be precise, "The Home of Rugby League".

Anyway, back to the plot, the photo helps a lot, drop me an email and we'll see what we can do for your boat, I've a few thoughts in mind.

John_Matthews

Recruit

Hi,

I'm new here but thought I'd drop into this thread since I have a similar issue. I just bought a 1980's Avon 13' inflatable.

Whilst (for our UK friends) I do have the complete floor including the side extrusions it is quite rotted and broken up. I need to fashion a replacement, is there any reason it needs to be in three pieces, or is that just for size and manageability? Could I make one big floor section since this boat will stay on a trailer and not be required to fit into my boot (trunk) ;) ?

Also, I need to fix a leak in the keel section under the floor, any tips for fixing a previously patched largish hole?

Thanks,

John

Beater

Seaman Apprentice

From what I've seen the floors are multiple panels for portability. Only problem is I expect is you need to make it at least two pieces since the front piece goes uphill. If you just use one piece it would likely distort the boat shape.

As for the patch I'm sure there are a lot of people here better versed on that than I am.

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Hello John...

The sections are {for the most part} simply for portability, believe me they aren't made for the enjoyment of installing them, no more of that nonsense for me...

I've made a couple of "inserts" all one piece things, they are a lot lighter than the original wood or aluminum floors, if your boat is on the trailer all the time then a one piece insert is the way to go.

I've done a couple of write ups recently in here one of them in the "Inflatable Composite Flooring" thread, and another in the "Works for me" thread, both topics sort of overlap.

In a nutshell what I did was make what is essentially a surf board type of thing that cut down on the weight of the boat and by using closed cell foam it added at least 200 lbs of flotation.

Beater mentioned that you might need two sections so as not to distort the shape of the boat. I guess that depends on the boat, but you can easily shape / fashion closed cell foam to add a V shape keel or adapt the insert so that it fits / follows the contour of your boat.

Closed cell foam, the lightest density it is all you need, the 2.6lbs per cubic foot stuff, is real easy to work with, you can cut it with a box cutter or even a bread knife. You don't get "dust/bits/bubbles" all over the place as you would when working with styrofoam, not to mention closed cell is flexible, and takes FG resin without melting.

At the end of the day the main weight component of an insert made this way will most likely be the resin and the gelcoat. I have a couple of ideas on how to make an insert that doesn't need the weight and expense of resin and gelcoat.

The rubber runner strip works great too, I have one on top of my airfloor not only does it protect the airfloor from hooks, spiny fish, footwear and bother in laws etc, but it makes for a lot less slippery deck, it's the way to go for me.

It can be fun to do little projects like this, but if it's not your forte then get an airfloor if you can, they save a lot of weight, the boat appreciates that, your up on plane faster and the engine is doing a lot less work.