SU 310-Planes well but bow too high at low speed

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
Took my new West Marine 310 with my 8HP today for the first time. With me on the tube steering and my wife on the seat, it rode with the bow very high at 1/2 throttle. Once I opened her up, she jumped on plane and moved right out. Is it normal for the bow to ride so high at 1/2 throttle regardless of where I set the tilt control.
Nightstalker

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: SU 310-Planes well but bow too high at low speed

It's normal...Get your wife off the seat(it's for use when you row the boat rather than as a real seat) and put her on a tube as far forward as she can get. Once you get up on plane she can slide back to midship.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Took my new West Marine 310 with my 8HP today for the first time. With me on the tube steering and my wife on the seat, it rode with the bow very high at 1/2 throttle. Once I opened her up, she jumped on plane and moved right out. Is it normal for the bow to ride so high at 1/2 throttle regardless of where I set the tilt control.
Nightstalker

It's a normal behaviour, you can secure gas tank at bow if having front or lateral d'rings to do so, will have extra 24 kilo weight at bow (when full) to better balance sib as previously described.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Front Tank Tie 1.JPG
    Front Tank Tie 1.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RearTank Tie 1.JPG
    RearTank Tie 1.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 0

azzurro

Seaman

Nice to see you both posting rather than quarreling. Knowledge has many faces. We need all.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nightstalker,
Your boat is acting normally. Most small boats will initially "plow", bow high, at partial throttle as you described. The suggestions for weight redistribution are good ones.

You'll need to experiment to find the throttle setting that will be less than maximum, while still keeping the boat on plane. You'll probably find you have to use wide open throttle for the first several seconds. That will help the boat quickly get "over the hump" and flatten out in full planing mode. Then, reduce throttle a bit at a time to find the setting that lets you cruise comfortably while still on plane. If you reduce throttle too much, the boat falls off plane, the bow points skyward, and you have to start all over. Part of the fun of learning your boats characteristics.
note: the bow high attitude is when the engine is likely getting the poorest fuel usage per mile. It pays to get on plane, then throttle back a bit to approx. 3/4 throttle.

Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nightstalker,
Your boat is acting normally. Most small boats will initially "plow", bow high, at partial throttle as you described. The suggestions for weight redistribution are good ones.

You'll need to experiment to find the throttle setting that will be less than maximum, while still keeping the boat on plane. You'll probably find you have to use wide open throttle for the first several seconds. That will help the boat quickly get "over the hump" and flatten out in full planing mode. Then, reduce throttle a bit at a time to find the setting that lets you cruise comfortably while still on plane. If you reduce throttle too much, the boat falls off plane, the bow points skyward, and you have to start all over. Part of the fun of learning your boats characteristics.
note: the bow high attitude is when the engine is likely getting the poorest fuel usage per mile. It pays to get on plane, then throttle back a bit to approx. 3/4 throttle.

Larry

Very good advise, throttle fully to plane fast and then reduce to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to maintain sib planning. Engine will run much smoother and consume less gas.

Happy Boating