Is it ok to transport inflatable boat on car roof, California

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone from CA? Is it ok to transport my boat inflated on the car roof? The boat is just about the same size as my car, if not a little smaller.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is it ok to transport inflatable boat on car roof, California

I scanned the California Vehicle Code Website, and found the following regulation concerning loads on passenger vehicles:

Loads on Passenger Vehicles

35111. No passenger vehicle shall be operated on any highway with any load carried thereon extending beyond the line of the fenders on its left side or more than six inches beyond the line of the fenders on its right side.
Amended Ch. 120, Stats. 1961. Effective September 15, 1961.

I'm actually surprised they don't regulate HOW a load is attached. I have seen so many badly tied/strapped loads that were unsafe and practically begged for a citation. It looks like you boat can overhang front and rear, but on the left side they don't want it extending into the other guy's lane at all. On the right side they are more forgiving, as you have the option of staying in the right lane only if necessary. Note that there are no restrictions about WHAT you can carry on the roof. Good luck.
Larry

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is it ok to transport inflatable boat on car roof, California

Thanks for your reply. I tried to load the boat today but it looked risky. The boat is too big. I guess i won't have a choice but buying a foldable trailer from Harbor Freight Tools and then modify a little to make it fit. I don't have room for anything too long.