What do people think of saturn kaboats

JAYDAK

Recruit
Hi i was thinking of buying a saturn kaboat it is a kayak and boat crossover.I wanted to know from someone with experience with these boats are they stable and do they make a good fishing boat for ponds and lakes ?Also i was wondering if a 38 pound thrust trolling motor would be sufficient to push the 14 foot kaboat ? any info would be greatly appreciated want to get my boat for the trout opener on may 15 thanks JAY

Baz Whea

Recruit
Re: What do people think of saturn kaboats

I am also looking at the SK 396 Kaboat for reasons of storage & portability. Has anyone experience of this small boat ?

Grot

Cadet

The Kaboat may be an alternative to the Zodiac 260S that I was considering. (I posted a question on this model)

Has anyone experience with this hybrid ?

Grot

Cadet

Hasn't anyone experiences of these hybrids ?

SMPARKINSON

Recruit

I got an Sk470 15' Kaboat a couple of months ago. This is my first and only boat, primarily to be used for fun around the harbor in my town on Long Island. Since it is my first and only boat, I had a bit of a learning curve. I quickly learned that boats are not the water equivalent of cars. Many more dynamics requiring many more considerations.
First the good news. Although I had only internet photos and info to base my decision on, my choice of the Saturn brand was either smart or lucky. I live in a town with lots of inflatable moored at the dock which gave me plenty to compare to, at least visually and on a tactile basis. I could see and touch lots of brands up close, and although this is new to me, quality seems to be fairly easy to determine with careful comparison. In the Saturn price range, the only brand that seemed to be a possible contender were some of the Sea Eagle models. I came close to a Sea Eagle purchase since they are produced close to my town. However, they seem to be quite limited in their retail showroom hours, so I would have ended up buying sight unseen anyway. That put me back on the internet sales route, and after receiving my Saturn and comparing it to the Sea Eagle models I've seen locally I'm glad I went with the Saturn. The Sea Eagle's look OK, but they ahve the look and feel of high quality toys rather that actual boats. I'm not knocking their brand, and they may have models that are more substantial that the ones I've seen.
My Saturn seems to be on quality par with brands like Zodiac and some of the other more high end brands. I continue to be very impressed with both the quality of materials used and the quality of build in my boat. It may be PVC, but the quality seems comparable to some of the Hypalon boats I've seen up close. I am very satisfied with the quality of my Saturn boat.
I chose the KaBoat Sk470 15' over the more traditional inflatable models for a couple of reasons. First of all, $699. for a 15' boat seemed like a hell of a lot of boat for the money, and second, my reasoning was that such a narrow beam would cut through the water more efficiently than a full beam width craft. On the face of it, my reasoning seemed to make sense; at least to someone with no boating experience. The realities were a little different than I had expected. I still think it's a lot of boat for the money, and it does move a lot faster than a standard width boat with the same size engine. What I had not considered was stability. I learned very quickly that a boat isn't a car on the water.
With a Tohatsu 6hp outboard and 2 people, I would guess I'm moving along at close to 20 mph. Just a guess, but I can tell you it moves pretty good. Even with 3 people it moves right along, I'd guess maybe 12 mph or so. But when I'm by myself, watch out! As soon as I get up on a plane I seem to lose all stability. I have to back the power way down and pray until I come off the plane, and even than it's dicey going more than maybe 6 or 8 mph. And even with passengers, I have to have everybody sit low, or it seems like I'm constantly fight to keep from yawing and tilting. And if the water is a little rough, things get a little scary. Now, I also have a 2hp Tohatsu I've used on this boat, and while it goes a lot slower, it seems to be much easier to control.
In spite of the above, I do love this boat. I love the quality, and although if I were to start over, I would pick a different Satern model, I am determined to sort out the control issues and come up with a fix. Weight distribution is certainly a factor, as is keeping a low center of gravity. I may end up sacrificing some performance and rigging up some form of outrigger or outside tube to give it a wider beam.
I set it up with a Bimini top, which I cut to a lower lever, and made snap in side panels with clear vinyl windows. I am currently making a front console steering system with front controls for shift and engine speed control. Being an inflatable, these changes require some creativity, but I think I just about have it licked. I'll keep you posted.
Bottom line on Saturn boats from my experience. Quality is better than I expected, on par with some much more expensive inflatables I've seen. The KaBoat is a different animal, but my experience with the 15' model may be quite different with the smaller size models. Still, I love it. I get a lot of complements on it, and am determined to make it much more stable and usable for my purpose. Good Luck!

Grot

Cadet

Could it be that the length to width ratio is too great and with only one person on board (at the rear I assume,) the front end is too light and lifts out of the water.

sailorman271

Recruit

I have owned an Sk396 Saturn Kaboat for the past 3 years. I love this boat for its versatility and ability to be easily stored and transported. I have owned many inflatable boats in the past, and this is the best. The price is very attractive for an entry level boater as well ($499).

Here is a picture of me on a Kaboat

SK430_6.jpg

Grot

Cadet

A few questions please:

1. What engine size do you use ?
2. What sort of speed can you reach with one and two people ?
3. How stable is the boat bearing in mind this event ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igsaw15vBaw

Thank you for your response.

ben33904

Recruit

ide go with no less than the 14' model the 16' is pretty nice has a lil wider beam

philipj

Recruit

I am a 68 year old veteran who has rowed his own boat since the 8th grade. Our newest boat is a 14+foot Kaboat Saturn that we are more than pleased with. We are completing a 2 week fishing vacation in Upper Michigan. The first day out my lady friend did not fully inflate the boat and it's floor. I said nothing as she wanted to be in charge of that. She spent the first day of fishing holding on to the boat with her legs and hands. That night I fully inflated the boat and got it good and stiff. The next day the boat was ever better, and even she decided to join in the fishing and catching. The third day was a little windy but she still waanted to go out. One ft waves were braking and we were catching fish. The biggest surprise was when she asked just how much wave action could we take. This is really a great boat that we will use for a lot of years.

The more you use the boat, the more confidence you build.

I do wish we also had the new oar locks, as I have rowed a boat for ever. On this trip we used an electric motor and a small battery from wheel chair usage. You need to buy a special charger for that type of battery. I suggest you get one after you get confident in the boat.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's interesting, how so many people who have never had a post before, started/responded in this thread:)

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's interesting, how so many people who have never had a post before, started/responded in this thread:)

Maybe this is the start of a specialized Kaboat section? :D

Cheers,

CapeAnn - Tohatsu User

Jimbo305

Recruit

I too love my Kaboat! This is my first post but i figured this is the thread to start on. I have the 14' kaboat had since late June. The portability is awesome, and the quality top notch! I started out with a 55lb trolling motor and have just upgraded to a 2000 mercury 5hp 2 stroke. It moves pretty swiftly with myself and girl friend. We have a lot of fun with it. Having some issues with the motor but I'll save that for another thread. I recommend the kaboat for anyone who has storage issues and wants to get out on the water quickly.

philipj

Recruit

I too love my Kaboat! This is my first post but i figured this is the thread to start on. I have the 14' kaboat had since late June. The portability is awesome, and the quality top notch! I started out with a 55lb trolling motor and have just upgraded to a 2000 mercury 5hp 2 stroke. It moves pretty swiftly with myself and girl friend. We have a lot of fun with it. Having some issues with the motor but I'll save that for another thread. I recommend the kaboat for anyone who has storage issues and wants to get out on the water quickly.

In 2010 we were camping on the shore of Lake Superior at Munising Michigan. Looking out at Grand Island we saw an older man with a grey pony tail motoring arround the island with a small inflatable boat. When he landed near me, I had to talk with him. He showed me his Honda air cooled 2hp out board motor. I called my girlfriend over and she could easily pick up the 28 lb motor. Best of all there are two places to "turn off" and seal in the gas so you can stow the motor and have no leakage or odor troubles from the motor. It hurts this American to say honda, but it is true, great motor. American companies get off your .......

On www.youtube.com you will find, as my ladyfriend has found, a hannuYK and his Satrun boat trips. I think he is a sports writer in Finland, and takes you on rivers in Lapland. Hours of good demonstrations on how confident you can become with a Kabot. Again, I feel like a teenager high on a new toy.

Last edited:

ReelSlow72

Seaman Apprentice

I came in looking for information and noticed just this.

How kind of them all to share their wonderful experiences with the Saturn Kaboat before leaving :D:lol: