Titan Inflatable vs Zodiac Cadet 340s

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC Zinck

Cadet
Hello All
Has anyone ever had the experience of owning or using the
Titan Aluminum Rib 370
I would like to buy this boat but cannot find much info. Any help would be great, thank you so much.
This is a great site.
http://www.co2inflatables.com
Here is a link to one of the companys who carry the boat.

KC Zinck

Cadet
Re: Titan Inflatable

Re: Titan Inflatable

Hello
This Titan boat could be new on the market, in you opinion do you think it would be much better than my current boat. Zodiac Cadet 340s?
Thanks for any replys. I'm really intereted in the Titan but don't want to make a mistake.

KC Zinck

Cadet
Re: Titan Inflatable vs Zodiac Cadet340s

Re: Titan Inflatable vs Zodiac Cadet340s

What boat would you buy.

Attachments

• aluminum_graphic.jpg
    aluminum_graphic.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
  • zodiac_cadet3.jpg
    zodiac_cadet3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Titan Inflatable vs Zodiac Cadet 340s

Zodiac has service stations everywhere. Does Titan have any?

KC Zinck

Cadet

Hi Elvin
I see you have many replys and posts, I look forward to reading all. Your opinion would go a long on my final dicision.
I agree, Zodiac does have many service centres. The dealer I have been using for quite some time is CO2 Inflatebles in Oakville Ontario, they do great service work, I have come to trust and rely on there word, the Owner has assured me he has sold many Titan Inflatables any warranty isues have been done without question, the pvc boats are 6 years, Hypalon boats are 10 years.
They have also told me no one has returned unhappy with their purchas of the Titan, it has a deep V alum hull I beleive 100 Gauge. 12', 133 Lbs, welded seams, 1100 doutex fabric, 17.7" tubes.
CO2 is an authorized warranty centre for them.
With this information what is your opinion.
Thanks for any input.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The fabric is standard cheap PVC...And there is nothing wrong with that. Depending on where the boat is actually made, China, Korea or elsewhere, does make a difference. For instance, the Koreans boats have a much higher manufacturing standard than the Chinese. But, your dealer should be the deciding factor. You like and trust them and they are steering you towards the Titan so...Titan sounds like it may give you the most value for your money.

KC Zinck

Cadet

Hi Elvin
Thanks for the reply, here is an e-mail i received from a company who sells the same boat on the other side of the country.

Hello Kevin,

The answer to your question is that yes !! Our boats do stand up well against any and all competitors. We get asked this all the time at the boat shows. The fabric to our boats comes from Germany. Our boats are make in China much like allot of our competition. There isn't too many manufactures of inflatable boat fabric in the world and France is pretty close to Germany so I can't say for sure that Zodiac uses the same fabric, however when comparing the rating of the fabric they have the same rating.

Our boats are distributed by Barrett marketing the same company the sells the EZ-Loader boat trailers across Canada. So they stand behind what they sell and they are a proven leader on the East and West coast with their boats. They have 4 warehouses across Canada, They've sold this boat in Canada for the last 15 years.

the Titan RIB 370 12' solid aluminum hull is a best seller in the East and West due to it's ease of Inflate and Go...no floor to install. I agree, installing the floor after awhile does become tire some. I usually sell about two hard bottom RIB Aluminum per year and the feed back is that they are Awesome. Last year this boat was priced at $4500.00 ...this year it's at $4253.00 and it includes:

Two paddles
foot pump ...used to make the boat rock solid for final inflation only
patch kit
foot pump
full cover
tether rope
two seats
cushioned seat bag with storage for small items below

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

They are being disingenuous....That's a bad sign. Zodiac PVC is not available to ANY other manufacturer(thats a blessing for everyone else in some ways) and they know that. As to where their PVC fabric really comes from? A lot of companies around the world produce material of varying quality and even within one manufacturer producing one material to a specification they will have different service grades that they sell with various defects as grade 1, grade 2, etc. It's not particularly important who makes it. There are no name brand inflatables produced in China that I am aware of due to variety of reasons. There are an increasing number of these "No Name" label boats being dumped on the market with completely unsubstantiated claims as to there fitness. But, in all fairness, that doesn't mean that this brand, which I have never heard of, is awful. It could be well worth the money if it is cheap enough. I personally do not buy anything made in China if I can avoid it, but that is a personal decision. As long as there is a warranty center in your area, which there is and that dealer thinks it is a good buy, which they do, then you can roll the dice and take a chance. If you get five years on the boat without a seam failure then count your blessings and congratulate yourself on making a wise choice:)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Just side notes:

Zodiac uses Strongan, a fancy pvc French name for their fabric, still pvc and 0.9 mm (1100 decitex) fabric, standard employed now a days. Most other manufacturer uses same material and thickness, so being French is not Oh la, la, pvc fabrics have evolved and bettered through the years. Chinese sib/ribs use Korean fabrics which are excellent, why have pvc factories in China if Korea is just next side.

So if you don't plan to invest more cash on a "costier reputable rib brand" with same fabric tech spec, and if Titan stands for their boats, buy one and have great fun. A 370 alum hull is a great alternative to same GRP 370 fiberglass hull that should cost less. Check both model prices and decide.

Bottomline: you are comparing a Titan Rib vs a Zoadiac Sib, after driving a rib you won't like sibs, go for a rib then, the best water investment if portability and deflation is not a must. Let us know what your final purchase was.

Happy Boating

kevinzinck

Cadet

I decided to buy the Titan, Im happy with the purchas and have done modifacations for seating, also added a canopy and arms for downrigging. I have attached a few pictures.

Attachments

• 180.jpg
    180.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 181.jpg
    181.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 2

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

Looks great. I too bought a 370 from CO2. The material that Zodiacs uses is Mehler and so too I does Titan. It seems to me that the Titan boats are similar in design to Aquapro but the sizes are different. In any case I had a Zodiac Zoom that was made in France and I was not totally impressed. The valves stuck out and were a nuisance. The front seams leaked and it was latexed numerous times and they could not get them to stop leaking. The boat lifted a lot before planing and frightened a lot of riders.

The Titan has a strap for the fuel tank in the front which ties down nicely.

With the same motor it goes to plane very quickly and without the frightening rise in the bow.

So far I am pleased.

kevinzinck

Cadet

Hi
I've had the boat out a ople of times, rides alot nicer than my old one (Zodiac Cadet 340S) I don't get wet anymore. I am also impressed by the quality.The reason I purchased the titan is my zodiac also leaked on the front tube, also latexed numerous times and did not help...

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

I have taken mine out once and as you said I did not get wet at all. The boat got onto plane right away and was a lot smoother than the 380 Zoom. The seats are way more comfortable and the floor is really nice and does not bounce.

I am told that the new Zooms are made in China for Zodiac and many of the people who sell them are not impressed with them either.

I have a Yamaha F20 and I tried to change the sparkplugs however, even though I have a number of wrenches I could not get one to fit.

I found out that I needed to get a long 18mm socket to get them out. Also the sparkplugs the Yam uses are rare as chickens teeth.

I am wondering if I should attempt at a later stage the water pump impellar or if I should leave it to a professional.

Regards,

Darryl

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Hi

Does the Titan alum rib you have just purchased have a protector paint over & under the hull for extra protection, or it's a plain aluminum hull on both sides ? Assume if not protected will need to be rinsed after each salt water use for longer lasting. Does this model have hanging rings on the hull and transom for lifting purposes ? Nice purchase, congrats!!

Happy Boating

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

It is nicely finished with paint on both sides. There is a false floor wich is flat on the inside with non slip material glued on. The keel has a protective strip. All in all it is nicely finished.

I use mine at my cottage in Northern Ontario so its fresh water and I usually take it out of the water and store it on the dock. So no issues with salt water here.

There are lifting point on the transom and and the inside of the hull and a ring welded on the bow.

All in all I cannot complain about comfort. It also has two seats the rear one is comfortable for the operator. It also has a strap in the front to tie down the gas tank. This puts the weight of the gas forward and stops the tank from flying around. This is a big plus.

My old Zoom 380S had none of these features and leaked.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just side notes:

Zodiac uses Strongan, a fancy pvc French name for their fabric, still pvc and 0.9 mm (1100 decitex) fabric, standard employed now a days. Most other manufacturer uses same material and thickness, so being French is not Oh la, la, pvc fabrics have evolved and bettered through the years. Chinese sib/ribs use Korean fabrics which are excellent, why have pvc factories in China if Korea is just next side.

So if you don't plan to invest more cash on a "costier reputable rib brand" with same fabric tech spec, and if Titan stands for their boats, buy one and have great fun. A 370 alum hull is a great alternative to same GRP 370 fiberglass hull that should cost less. Check both model prices and decide.

Bottomline: you are comparing a Titan Rib vs a Zoadiac Sib, after driving a rib you won't like sibs, go for a rib then, the best water investment if portability and deflation is not a must. Let us know what your final purchase was.

Happy Boating

Sea rider, are you saying that the material used on the Zodiac that I bought is exactly the same as all the other boats eg. allround marine, west marine, bombard etc? I had envisioned that the name Zodiac and material used and how it was made was far more superior, little that Iknew that when my zodiac 340 came I was and is so very disappointed.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The short answer is no, it's the same. The long answer is yes, it is different. Think of it like brands of petrol. The octane might be the same, but the additives are different.

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

There are two German manufacturers of boat PVC called Mehler and Heytex. It is widely known and speculated that Zodiac makes their products using Mehler PVC however both brands are excellent and will give many years of life. The Titan uses Mehler too from what I have pieced together. They call their material Polymar which is a Mehler Trademark. Titan started out life in NZ under the name of Aquapro however they are now produced in China but still use the words Polymar as their material. I have mine for 3 years and it holds air great and seems to be the same material as the Zodiac. I do not like the one way valve that came on the Titan and it is also a bit narrower than the Zodiac. Other than that it works great.

There is Korean and Chinese PVC which I am told are getting better. Saturn uses Korean PVC for their boats and lots of people on this site say it is excellent. For my money, I would prefer to go with the German brands. This is a personal choice. The Oriental brands could be just as good but they may not have the same UV protectants and stabilizers like the German product and could indeed not last as long. The only way of knowing this is experiencing it over years.

The material used is just one factor the others are the welding, gluing, general workmanship, valves etc. My old Zodiac had the Zodiac old style valves which I hated. The new boat has the Halkey Roberts valves (or perhaps copies of them) in any case they are wonderful and completely flush with the body.

German manufacturer Mehler Texnologies is currently one of the largest producers of polyvinylchloride (PVC) coated fabrics. Closed production line ? from making a polyester base for materials on its own factory ? and quality control on every step of the process guarantees only the highest quality of materials produced. Mehler Texnologies has over 80 different types of materials, as well as its own research facility which specializes on research and development of new materials, as well as improving already existing products. Their research and development facility also develops new materials for custom offers, which allows Mehler Texnologies to satisfy every need of its customers. One of the largest customers of Mehler Texnologies is another inflatable boats manufacturer, ZODIAC.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sea rider, are you saying that the material used on the Zodiac that I bought is exactly the same as all the other boats eg. allround marine, west marine, bombard etc? I had envisioned that the name Zodiac and material used and how it was made was far more superior, little that Iknew that when my zodiac 340 came I was and is so very disappointed.

No, I'm saying that It's same standard pvc 0.9 mm gauge fabric, you have Korean, French, German fabric manufacturers, who knows for sure Zodiac's fabrics, does not specify the nationality on therir propaganda nor say it's pvc as they use the term Strongan for thier fabrics name. Welcome globalization !! For a far more superior life expectancy of any inflatable will resume to : the fabric used, hyaplon, pvc, polyurethane, it's gauge, where inflatable will live, outside environments, kept shaded after use and the overall care for your toy.

Darryl, in order to state that same gauge fabric comparing 2 different manufactures, one is better than the other, would need to have at hand both tech specs, if not, it's a assumption. Anyway we are talking about recreational inflatables, the segment in which we all boat. This is a 13.5 year old well cared standard pvc 0.9 Korean fabric sib, much prior German pvc fabrics were available for inflatables...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Quicksilver 330.JPG
    Quicksilver 330.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 0

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update on my Titan,

I tie up a handle to keep the boat on the dock and one little area of the handle started coming off. I emailed CO2 who told me that Titan's distributor has gone bust so no more warranty however they were covering warranty issues for the boats they sold from the goodness of their hearts. They sent me some 2 part glue and I removed and re-glued the offending handle.

My general impression of the boat:

1. Zodiac was wider and fitted more inside it
2. Zodiac's water exit valve was way better
3. Titan RIB way out-handles the Zodiac SIB
4. Zodiac overall is better quality throughout
5. Titan is using excellent material and no issues with the material or leakage

Would I buy a Titan again? I would but if I could get a Zodiac at the same specs etc. I think it would be that much better.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.