2001 Zodiac Cadet Fastroller CFR 285 Value

MaxVon

Cadet
Hello,

I was wondering if some of you folks could help me establish a value on my brand new 2001 Zodiac CFR 285 S. This boat is brand new in the bag. My dad bought it new in 2001 for $2099 and never used it. I checked NADA and it said $970 for a used one, but this one is technically new. It is the Fastroller model with the inflatable keel. It has never been registered and I have all the manuals and documents along with the seat, oars and pump new in the bag.

Thanks in advance,

Max

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: 2001 Zodiac Cadet Fastroller CFR 285 Value

It's a nice boat, but your dad probably paid too much for it back in 2001. You also must consider that PVC boats don't like sitting around for 8 years rolled up. I would say that the NADA value is pretty close although you can probably get around $1200 from the right buyer if you're lucky.

MaxVon

Cadet

Thanks Drowned Rat,

I figured that would be the case. I have had it inflated for a week now with no signs of leaks so that's encouraging. I'll list it at $1200 and see where it goes.

Best regards,

Max

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

i once bought a used pvc raft
it was in great condition sat in a basement
worst purchase ever first the seams came apart then air started leaking

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Seven year service life....In most markets it would be worth around $500.00.

MaxVon

Cadet

Seven year service life....In most markets it would be worth around $500.00.

Wow. I didn't realize inflatables had a "shelf life". Just curious, is that an industry standard across the board? What goes wrong? Sorry for the newbie questions.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Two materials used:

Hypalon, 15 to 25 year service life.

PVC, 5 to 10 year service life.

PVC is subject to debonding of the poly laminates as well as the glue bond. It's a cheaper material than Hypalon and doesn't hold up as well. But, PVC boats cost less so it all works out in the end.

MaxVon

Cadet

Thanks again for the great information. I emailed Zodiac directly and received the following response:

"One of the worst things you can do to an inflatable boat is to put it away for long term storage untouched!
The fabric and even more so the adhesive needs to stretch and flex from time to time in order to maintain elasticity.
The components can dry out prematurely.
This can allow the adhesive to fail after the boat is inflated for a short time as it will not stretch the same as the fabric any longer.

The storage conditions can have a large effect on this phenomenon.
The hotter the conditions the faster the natural moisture content can change.

There is no way to know for sure with out doing a full inspection of the boat!
The best thing is to assemble and inflate the boat to proper operating pressure and let it set for a few days.

If it has been stored in MA. the fabric should still be OK.
The air holding seams are welded in this model
The adhesive would be the larger question.
As a rule the adhesive can be replaced or the boat rebuilt as long as the fabric is still in good condition.

I understand this info is not to much help but hopefully the inspection will show that it has survived the test of time!

Good luck with this boat and please let me know if you have any other questions! "

Great company to answer so quickly and accurately.
I'm inflating it tonight and we'll see....

Regards,
Max