Inflatable Boat Brands

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Inflatable Boat Brands

Certainly nothing wrong with purchasing a less expensive inflatable. But I thought I might post and comment on some of the misinformation in this thread. To begin with, Saturn does not warranty their boats for 5 years. The warranty is for two. Take a good look at what that warranty entails, shipping the boat back at your cost. Repairs or replacement are free if they are due to a manufacturers defect, failed seams due to heat exposure and the like are not covered, even within the two year period. Would it really be worth it to ship off a $1000 vessel to see if repairs are covered? It is my experience that the warranty is usually a good guide to the expected no repair time period. Zodiac warranties their inflatables for five years. I see a lot of Zodiacs that need repairs around the 7 year mark. I'm not saying Zodiac is all that much better, but the manufacturers aren't guessing at this. The warranty period is always going to reflect their confidence and minimize their claims. I have had plenty of opportunity to work on inflatables. I view glued PVC seams as a time limited application and don't have a problem with regluing them. But I have never seen a thermobonded tube seam fail on a zodiac unless it was damaged. A Saturn at a nice low price sure can be a lot of fun. But expecting it to last ten years without any issues is overly optimistic. When I am asked to assist on repairs to inflatables that have tube seam leaks or failures that are not directly attributable to some incident or accident I offer a free ride to the dump. Don't get me wrong here, I can see the value in less expensive inflatables and I am not saying Zodiacs are trouble free. But I would not purchase an older PVC hand glued tube seam inflatable at all. If you view these vessels as consumables you won't go wrong. They are an affordable way to get out on the water. Just don't be confused that they are going to be reliable a decade from now. That is ridiculous. If you are going to leave the boat outside and expose it to a lot of heat then you should splurge on Hypalon. The dinghy on my Westsail has stood up to big time abuse and exposure. If you can store the boat in a protected place without high heat any inflatable will last longer, particularly PVC boats. If you are going to buy a used inflatable and take it to remote locations, well, you better have confidence in your tube seams. For me that means thermo bonded tube seams.

As far as the "Why a two stroke?" post. Because two strokes weigh a lot less when compared to a four stroke of the same HP. Weight at the transom has a big effect on a lightweight inflatables handling and planing capabilities.

cstellwagen

Cadet

If you are going to buy a PVC boat I strongly recommend buying a Zodiac, Zoom, Bombard or Walker Bay as these companies heat weld their seems. A hand glued seam on a PVC boat WILL NOT last. The PVC inflatable was introduced as it could be mass produced by machine welding and offered at a lower price to the consumer. The above manufactures have tested the fabric and welding vs. gluing hence the reason they heat weld them.

Hypalon is a more durable fabric than PVC but mainly in the petro chemical resistance and UV areas but if you buy a quality PVC boat it will last you years in the environment in which you are going to be using it.

surfga

Cadet

Certainly nothing wrong with purchasing a less expensive inflatable. But I thought I might post and comment on some of the misinformation in this thread. To begin with, Saturn does not warranty their boats for 5 years. The warranty is for two. Take a good look at what that warranty entails, shipping the boat back at your cost. Repairs or replacement are free if they are due to a manufacturers defect, failed seams due to heat exposure and the like are not covered, even within the two year period. Would it really be worth it to ship off a $1000 vessel to see if repairs are covered? It is my experience that the warranty is usually a good guide to the expected no repair time period. Zodiac warranties their inflatables for five years. I see a lot of Zodiacs that need repairs around the 7 year mark. I'm not saying Zodiac is all that much better, but the manufacturers aren't guessing at this. The warranty period is always going to reflect their confidence and minimize their claims. I have had plenty of opportunity to work on inflatables. I view glued PVC seams as a time limited application and don't have a problem with regluing them. But I have never seen a thermobonded tube seam fail on a zodiac unless it was damaged. A Saturn at a nice low price sure can be a lot of fun. But expecting it to last ten years without any issues is overly optimistic. When I am asked to assist on repairs to inflatables that have tube seam leaks or failures that are not directly attributable to some incident or accident I offer a free ride to the dump. Don't get me wrong here, I can see the value in less expensive inflatables and I am not saying Zodiacs are trouble free. But I would not purchase an older PVC hand glued tube seam inflatable at all. If you view these vessels as consumables you won't go wrong. They are an affordable way to get out on the water. Just don't be confused that they are going to be reliable a decade from now. That is ridiculous. If you are going to leave the boat outside and expose it to a lot of heat then you should splurge on Hypalon. The dinghy on my Westsail has stood up to big time abuse and exposure. If you can store the boat in a protected place without high heat any inflatable will last longer, particularly PVC boats. If you are going to buy a used inflatable and take it to remote locations, well, you better have confidence in your tube seams. For me that means thermo bonded tube seams.

As far as the "Why a two stroke?" post. Because two strokes weigh a lot less when compared to a four stroke of the same HP. Weight at the transom has a big effect on a lightweight inflatables handling and planing capabilities.

Totally agree, especially with the bold statement. I have a Saturn and I love it. But with their dealer being local, I feel better about their company. I went to the facility and considered many boats before I made my decision. They were very helpful, especially with me being a first time SIB owner.

I do look at it as possibly disposable, which is fine. It is well made however. I have several friends who have Saturns a few years old, and the biggest complaint is that the red fades a bit in the sun over time without protectant. I bought gray. I definitely do not plan on rocking this thing 10 years from now. A few years of fun until I upgrade at max.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

People like to satanize PVC fabrics, boats made with this fabric will last a minimum of 10 years if correctly inflated to their working pressure, rinsed after use, shade kept. Hypalon is not kevlar, a knife, point, sharp rock will puncture very easily. Most hypalon inflatables are made in 0.9/1.0 mm fabrics, most pvc in 0.9 mm. Hypalon holds sun aging better than pvc is left all year long at a marina. So this does not apply to most sibbers who usually take their sibs back home.

A welded seam will last as long as a correctly glued seam, will need to be hand glued once leak problems occurs.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

Just love to add my two pennies worth

On the PVC vs Hypalon debate.... definitely I agree with all the comments about glued PVC tubes not being a very durable construction technique. Welded PVC tubes can last a long time with care and protection from too much sun!

Careful with brands. Zoom ( a Zodiac line) now has their cheapest boat made in China with hand glued tube seams.

If you shop for price..... you are likely getting glued tube seams.

Very few made in China or Korea boats have welded seams. I believe Titan is one brand that does have welded seams and is made in China.

Hypalon..... great stuff but the glue aging becomes an issue after probably 20 years. My first boat was a 30 year old hypalon Zodiac. Transom and floor seams were starting to lift. A sure sign that the glue could fail at any moment!

Would hate to be out there when my transom fell off with a brand new motor on it!

Just got an awesome deal this spring on a Zodiac Mark 2 Grand Raid.... hypalon and very well made...... in Spain.

On the two stroke -four stroke motor debate..... yes two strokes have a greater power to weight ratio...... but four strokes are quieter and stink less. My vote goes for the four stroke. Personally have had a couple Hondas. A 20 hp (easily lifted by one person -105lbs) and now a 30hp ( not easily lifted at 175lbs) But it works great!

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

If you are going to buy a PVC boat I strongly recommend buying a Zodiac, Zoom, Bombard or Walker Bay as these companies heat weld their seems. A hand glued seam on a PVC boat WILL NOT last. The PVC inflatable was introduced as it could be mass produced by machine welding and offered at a lower price to the consumer. The above manufactures have tested the fabric and welding vs. gluing hence the reason they heat weld them.

Hypalon is a more durable fabric than PVC but mainly in the petro chemical resistance and UV areas but if you buy a quality PVC boat it will last you years in the environment in which you are going to be using it.

Just an update..... Zoom boats are now hand glued in China! Talked to a Zodiac rep at a boat show last year about it...... even he was not impressed

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

<<Just an update..... Zoom boats are now hand glued in China! Talked to a Zodiac rep at a boat show last year about it...... even he was not impressed>>

Maybe the Chinese Zodiac is decent, but it's too bad that a reputable company has to follow that path. I guess the thinking is to offer a Zodiac-labeled boat to the entry-level inflatable buyer on a tight budget in a tough economy. Are they thinking that will build brand loyalty when the guy trades up to a better boat?? If I bought a entry-level Nikon that gave me trouble, I doubt that I would look to Nikon for an upgrade. Could the Zodiac Zoom hurt future sales more than help? I'm no biz whiz; just a thought.
Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Just comments :

As said before, durability will depend entirely on the quality of the glue, the controlled environment in which it's manufactured and the correct working pressure inflated to with a gauge, as opposed to word of mouth finger touch, cone flip inflating technics and above all, care. Welded seams are often 2 fabric one on top of the other welded together by heat/high electricity, glued seams are 4 fabrics glued using 2 different layer technics.

You should change your pvc sib every 5 years and hypalon sibs every 10 years, that way will still be in excellent condition to avoid costly repais, get a fair price, put some cash and buy yourself next models sib, as you do with cars. Most pvs sibs welded or hand glued will need to have some regluing after constant 5 years use, as other parts like transom, floor fabric, are hand glued.

Been sibbing for the last 14 years, have owned welded and hand glued brands like Zodiac, Quicksilver, Sea Rider, if correctly inflated, cared for and kept, can't see any difference at all, so to state that welded is better is a myth. Don't go for what the sellers tells you, probably has not been on water once, that's his job. Go for the sib brand that offers and honors local warranties independently of the construction method employed.

Happy Boating

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

And what is 1100 Decitex that Zoom Aero 260 advertized here is made of?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

And what is 1100 Decitex that Zoom Aero 260 advertized here is made of?

Decitex or denier is not a fabric itself, is the thickness of the fabric, 1100 decitex is 0.9mm, can be pvc, polyurethane or hypalon fabrics. Have not seen the add, surely for the low price must be standard pvc, 99% of the sib manufacturers uses same, it's ok, nothing to worry about.

Happy Boating

Dmitry

Seaman Apprentice

I personally prefer Hypalon and 2 strokes. Another nice upgrade would be aluminum bottom :)

Stan Soltz

Recruit

If you want a great price on a PVC dinghy, go to ebay and google "dinghy". Then find the auctions by the seller Affordable Inflatables. They sell excellent quality imported infatables under the brand name Baltik. I am pleased w/ the quality and performance of mine so far.

I wish I I could agree with you, But I bought a Newport vessel on Ebay and have had nothing but problems the Quality of construction is terrible. I wrote them a lot of E-mails and they seemed nice, but when I asked them to replace a boat that has no damage but needs to be filled once a day, they told me my problems were all UV relaited and that they didn't fix UV damage. I seams that you are not suposed to you use your boat during the day, keep it covered, use only at night. But then it would be hard to prove to them that you have followed these guidlines to the letter! I have had uv problems with a 1 year old Zodiac but they replaced the boat for me. I think I will stay with name brands in the future. The price of $670 for a 9ft 8in Delmar seamed like a good price at the time. But now I stuck with a useless boat!

Stan Soltz

Recruit

15 min. after I posted the Newport tread The company called to say; they were sending me a new replacment boat