25hp on small rib

kenthemover

Recruit
I have a 25hp on a AB 10' aluminum hull inflatable. My question is I have a long shaft that pours water in the back of the transom. At half throttle it splashes in a big V shape behind motor. I know there's to much motor in the water and I really enjoy the motor. Is there a way to put a shield up to block the water from splashing.
I out my motor clamps at the highest part of the transom and it gave me a couple of inches.
any help on saving the motor for my inflatable.
Thank
Ken
Oh new to the site too

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I'm sure there's a way you could use a small section of PVC as a barrier. You could get some of the sheet from somewhere like Home Depot that they use for a shower liner under the tiles. If it's splashing up in front of the motor, you could make it into a "U" shape with the front of it under the motor clamps and the back of it tie-wrapped around the engine shaft housing.

I've also seen folks glue triangles from the tubes to the transom on each side, which helps the splashing there.

kenthemover

Recruit
That's for reply. I went to Lowe's and picked up some square flashing for roofing. Traced the shape of motor were the 2 fins are close together (that's where water hits the motor and splash up) and screwed to sheets on each side to me it more solid and not much flex.
now only the water will tell.. Kinda rainy day in Federal way Washington (20mi south of Seattle)
If you'd like ill repost outcome
Kenny

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Would be technically more effective and faster to install a motor mount on top transom to raise the motor accordingly. Motor should not be clamped to the plate's border, could be extremely dangerous, motor could fly to the deep blue and lose it forever...

Transom Motor  Mount.JPG

Which motor brand is it ? Can you post a pic shot from behind showing the motor sideways...

Happy Boating

Last edited:
with 25HP outboard motor, I'm sure you transport your boat with the motor being mounted on the transom.

Can you advise me how I can safely and securely transport a outboard motor being mounted on the RIB boat?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Lots of variables., Which size Rib, how far do you intend to tow the combo in which type of road, what's the distance in between the lower leg and the road with motor sitting fully vertical ?

Happy Boating