Toyo 12’ inflatable boat

Toyoboat

Cadet
Found one for $100 definitely not a homecoming queen but it hold air and has a good solid floor. No patches or leaks which is unbelievable for a 30 year boat. Question is will a 6-8hp motor work on this boat? Thank you.

matt167

Captain
The question is, do you want to loose a 6-8hp motor when the ship springs a leak and goes down... That's a $100 gamble I wouldn't take IMO

Toyoboat

Cadet
Wise words. Maybe I should qualify that.
The gent I bought it from had just taken it out to sea and while he had a motor it was out of my league. So it’s float worthy at least and have to take him at his word it has no leaks. I’ll definitely check. I’ll take a pic tomorrow:)

Toyoboat

Cadet
Maybe I’ll start with a $50 electric motor. Thanks for giving me a full stop and think about it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Inflate the Sib till all tubes are drum firm, rock the transom back and forth, check if transom holds well in place, wouldn't want your motor to go diving into the deep blue...

Happy Boating

Toyoboat

Cadet
Well you know when you get home to REALLY look at the prize and for a $100 there will always be surprises. I’m taking apart the heavy floor(I didn’t think wood weighs this damn much.) the first two sections of boards were only being held together by pressure of the entire locking boards.
Made cutouts of the first two boards and salvaged the aluminum and I’m on my way to new boards. Three coats of primer and another top coat.

Went to an estate sale not looking for anything in particular when I was in the garage and hit my toe on something sharp. Ouch. An old electric Sears motor on the ground. Haha. Sold! I didn’t even see it.

Sea Rider(Don’t know how to apply quotes)
This boat is a mystery for $100. SOLID as far as the transom goes. Fully inflated the one side that has the air valve cap holds air for 24 easily but the other two chambers slowly looses air. Once I use the one cap I have on each of those chambers it hold air 24 hours respectively. I’ve ordered more air caps. I went to West Marine looking for air valve caps and they wanted $45. Not knocking the company but I picked up three online for $4. I understand it’s a business so there is that.

I also have to have the cone area um “resurfaced?” or “reupholstered?” as it’s down to the fabric or the hypalon is gone at minimum.

Could use some guidance on it if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction. I know I can do it just have to go slow.

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo332484.jpg
    photo332484.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo332486.jpg
    photo332486.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo332488.jpg
    photo332488.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo332489.jpg
    photo332489.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0

Toyoboat

Cadet
What a wrestle that was! Ever try putting those aluminum strips on the wood? It took a 15lb sledge hammer to finally get them on with the marine goop. On top of that even with the cut outs that I had from the original wood I had to go back and make numerous cuts shortening each wood to make it fit. Strange. That left my head scratching. You’d think using templates from a previous one would have been cut and done.
Noooo, not me. Life is never that easy for me. Anyway next week will be to test it’s water worthiness once the caps for the valves come in.
Hey, if I miss you Sunday I wish all dads a Happy Father’s Day.
Cheers.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Once all the missing valve caps have arrived, inflate the Sib well till all tubes are extremely firm and solid to finger touch and perform a soappy water test to find which areas of the inflatable tubes have air leaks. To charge $ 45 for air valve caps is a robbery with a machine gun in hand....

Happy Boating

Toyoboat

Cadet
Ok FINALLY the caps arrived and put them on in the garage. Inflated the boat and let it sit in the garage a few days filled with air. Everything held up without leaks for two days. What was a little worrisome was I decided to put the boat in the sun and it became finger hard. Meaning it only depressed just a tiny bit with finger pressure. To me it was a little too much air pressure possibly? How to judge? Is there an air pressure gauge available? How hard is it supposed to be?
Anyway aside from that I’m satisfied thus far. Time to throw it into the water next week.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Most inflatable boats are usually rated to be inflated to min 3.0, max 3.5 PSI which it's their factory stated working parameters once running on water.

Presion Aire.JPG

Around 2.5 PSI the tubes will feel super firm. Will need to buy a pressure gauge if wanting top boating performance. Post if possible a pic of the Toyo's air valve with cap removed to have a look which type that will be needed for that task.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Being such an oldie inflatable, don't inflate it to its max working pressure, could burst the internal air baffles and tube's seams as well due to being the glue with which the inflatable was asembled at the factory extremely dried and out of date. Try a gradual 2.0 PSI inflation in a merry go round patern till all tubes are firm.

Happy Boating